What do you think the extent of skwerl's impact was on Axl?

saber_

What do you think the extent of skwerl's impact was on Axl? Do you believe that because of skwerl's actions, Axl subsequently changed his attitude about the world? Or do you believe that skwerl's impact on Axl was minimal, and aside from pissing him off, did not cause any catastrophic paradigm shift for Axl?

Did skwerl screw us all over? Will the vault stay sealed forever?

Not that I would know anything, but my guess would be that it's the label holding up any future releases. As someone else stated, Skwerl's actions most likely just affected the final tracklist. IMO, if the label won't release anything further from Axl & co, then someone should just leak the stuff. Nobody makes a dime off of it if it's just collecting dust in a vault. Atleast if new material got leaked, Axl could still tour, showcase new music that people would have access to via free download somewhere. He just probably wouldn't get any tour support from the label (not sure how much, if any, he gets now).

So you do not believe that somewhere in his subconscious psyche exists the need to subliminally reap vengeance upon the so-called downloading motherfuckers by not releasing any further music?

Did you just post this same thing as Ritz Snare? I swear it was just on here under that screen name.... and, no, I for one don't believe that...

Edited by tat2d1

Must be a glitch.

To gunns5:

Perhaps the album cover could have a red panda eating a freshly killed squirrel. That's sorta guns n roses-ish, idn't it?

Chinese was the entree, a medium rare squirrel will be the main course

Simple question to answer: how much did Axl release before Skwrl's leak? If you don't count "Oh My God" on a 1999 Soundtrack, then nothing.

You can't say that Axl is now shy to release material because of what Skwrl did. He's always been a hesitant guy to release new material. No judgement, just saying what's' obvious based on the guy's actions.

If you want to get into a psychological analysis of who Axl Rose and whether he wants revenge for some leak songs, well, then I say good luck. Not going to waste any time on that because really, what does it matter to any of us fans?

The vault only opens when Axl wants it to, regardless of what goes on around him. To blame it on some guy who had a CD of unreleased GNR songs land on his desk (er, email box) is ridiculous. I think Axl, or his legal representatives, spoke about these matters. They're issue wasn't so much with Skwrl, but with the original source. I think they gave certain mixes out to certain people and can tell based on the leak who was the original source of the leaks. That's the person Axl has the beef with. Not some nitwit blogger who did what most people would have done in seeking their own publicity.

Cheers,

Andrew

Simple question to answer: how much did Axl release before Skwrl's leak? If you don't count "Oh My God" on a 1999 Soundtrack, then nothing.

You can't say that Axl is now shy to release material because of what Skwrl did. He's always been a hesitant guy to release new material. No judgement, just saying what's' obvious based on the guy's actions.

If you want to get into a psychological analysis of who Axl Rose and whether he wants revenge for some leak songs, well, then I say good luck. Not going to waste any time on that because really, what does it matter to any of us fans?

The vault only opens when Axl wants it to, regardless of what goes on around him. To blame it on some guy who had a CD of unreleased GNR songs land on his desk (er, email box) is ridiculous. I think Axl, or his legal representatives, spoke about these matters. They're issue wasn't so much with Skwrl, but with the original source. I think they gave certain mixes out to certain people and can tell based on the leak who was the original source of the leaks. That's the person Axl has the beef with. Not some nitwit blogger who did what most people would have done in seeking their own publicity.

Cheers,

Andrew

The one who gave him the audio files is to blame. But if you know this is something that's taken years and millions of dollars put into it, you're throwing yourself under the bust doing anything with those songs. I love demos, but to me, that should be heard after it's out, because you get to hear it develop from an idea into a full blown concept.

I think Axl was fine with how it was handled. They didn't fine him or put him away. The RIAA was looking to make an example out of someone.

I'm thankful to Skwerl. He gave us the album minus a couple of tracks.

The album Skwerl released feat less bloated layer wise mixes of the songs that sounded better.

I think Skwerl's leaks forced CD to be released sooner.

Anyone who bothered to download Skwerl's leak would have picked up the albu. I don't it affect sales.

Edited by vaida

and nothing more?

well, maybe axl feels like it ain't a good idea to leave demo cd's of his songs at stripclubs and other such venues he likes to frequent for after parties.

All anyone would've needed was a laptop with a CD/DVD player on it. The club manager & DJ are going to have a computer.

The best way to test your songs out is live, but I guess when you have a few drinks in you, and you want to see how a crowd likes it, you're going to misplace your stuff, but a lot of GNR demos over the years have made their way into the fans' hands. Never affected record sales then. People just knew November Rain by the time they debuted it, and that was because the bootlegs got passed around and copied like crazy.

Tupac and Prince had tons of tapes in their cars that friends wound up copying and made its way into the file share world. Jeff Buckley's mom has tried to go after the bootleggers because she wants to release more shows and demos over time, because he only had one album out. Usually people let the bootlegs go, but if they have more of a body of work, don't care as much.

Very much doubt it would have had that much of an impact.

Consider the fact that the whole album was made available to stream online from the official Myspace page when it was released.

Clearly they knew that anyone could listen to it there and decide that if they didn't like it they wouldn't buy it.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl threw Cogill a softball legally because he was a fan; didn't MSL indicate that Axl wrote a letter to Robin Finck playing down the effect of the leaks?