Axl Rose not attending HOF

Tabitha27

Ali,

Do you give Axl a thumbs up or a thumbs down for his demanding that his name not be affiliated with GnR being inducted into the HOF?

And, do you think his overall letter shows Axl in a positive or negative light?

-Groghan

I can already give you the answer to those questions.

Thumbs up :thumbsup:

Positive light, cause Axl is always right.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yet Robert Trujillo was inducted with Metallica and Josh Klinghoffer with RHCP.

the context of GN'R's dissolution is the reason current members weren't inducted. guaranteed.

if RHCP had released their first two albums then disappeared for years, established a legendary and almost mythical status, and then only kiedis came back with klinghoffer and another whole new line-up with one record and a couple tours, they wouldn't have been inducted. flea, kiedis and the old guys would have been inducted.

to use your hypothetical example of a name again: if only tommy had been added since '94 and the rest of the band had remained the same - or even if the whole band had changed but they kept in the public eye and continued releasing music, touring, etc. - then i think he/they would have been acknowledged by the hall of fame. GN'R is in a unique predicament insofar as that people outside the forum pretty much don't give credence to the new line up, for reasons i outlined before. whether that's fair is debatable, but whether it's deserved isn't: not touring, not releasing music and not doing publicity for years on end while your older music ages like fine wine will tend to have that effect.

This is your opinion, not a fact or a "guarantee". It is also irrelevant. You can easily argue that Tommy Stinson has contributed as much as either one of those two I mentioned and deserves to be inducted as much as them. That MAY be what Axl is referring to, and he has a point whether or not you want to admit it.

Ali

I didn't really care about him turning up at the HOF, means nothing to me.

Really though, Axl is 50 year old, it's a bit embarrassing him still acting like a pissed off teenager.

A well worded letter explaining your reasoning, saying your ex-bandmates are welcome to their honors and achievements and graciously declining is not acting like a pissed off teenager.

Whinging when rockstars don't behave the way you want on the other hand...

I think it was a fair and respectful letter. Axl had no choices, really. He acknowledged the jabs of others without insulting them. He appears to have stated his position from the heart and shows incredible loyalty. He used integrity and it was well thought out.

He's right. He could not win in this situation, so he might as well stay true to his beliefs.

i don't think it's respectful. i just don't understand the concept of declining the induction. if he had laid out some reasons for not attending - that he wouldn't want to give fans the false hope of a reunion, that he didn't feel comfortable being in the same room with slash, whatever, that's fine. disappointing perhaps to some fans, but at least then he's forthright and honest about his reasons.

but he was clearly insulted by the hall of fame's decision to honor the ex-bandmembers, and for me that is both childish and disrespectful.to not attend is one thing, but to request your name be removed is, to me, a big middle finger - not just to the ceremony (which is, you know, just a ceremony - i couldn't care less about it) but to the idea of it, what it represents to fans and to the other bandmembers. he falls back on the whole "people get divorced" trick, which is true enough in the context of a reunion, but we're talking about simply acknowledging that maybe that marriage was good at one point - that before it got ugly it represented something amazing. for all his complaints of revisionist history, turning down an acknowledgement for the reasons he chose is not far from it.

again, i don't really give a damn about the RnRHoF by any means. but what it represents i can understand, and i think this is all sort of disheartening.

I don't agree. Axl was not insulted by the HOF's decision to honour ex-bandmembers and doesn't begrudge them the honour. And there is nothing wrong with him taking this position. And he laid out his position quite clearly, and without minimizing others' achievements or sinking to others' levels. He essentially said this is how he feels, speaking only for himself, and made his own decision.

It's like Axl keeps saying there will be no reunion, there will be no reunion,and fans keep saying yeah but when's the reunion?

Axl was as direct as he could have been about a number of items on record of late, without bashing or apologizing for his beliefs.My respect for the man just went up a notch.

You make no sense. Axl's whole letter was about the old members. He make sure to point out by name, every member that is in GNR right now.

This decision has EVERYTHING to do with the original band. He is upset that it includes old members. THERE IS NO OTHER REASON FOR IT.

Axl likes shitting in his own back yard..

I guess the reunion rumors will now die forever!!

Axls a primadonna pussy who's still got sand in his vagina..

His current lineup, and old lineup are great players.. So great they make axl look bad.. Because everyone's pumping out tunes, and Axls still trying to figure out how to put a song together..

Sorry axl, you've had your day.. Live off your past that's fine.. It's just sad that you will never ever release a great record again.. Your train took off long ago..

yet Robert Trujillo was inducted with Metallica and Josh Klinghoffer with RHCP.

the context of GN'R's dissolution is the reason current members weren't inducted. guaranteed.

if RHCP had released their first two albums then disappeared for years, established a legendary and almost mythical status, and then only kiedis came back with klinghoffer and another whole new line-up with one record and a couple tours, they wouldn't have been inducted. flea, kiedis and the old guys would have been inducted.

to use your hypothetical example of a name again: if only tommy had been added since '94 and the rest of the band had remained the same - or even if the whole band had changed but they kept in the public eye and continued releasing music, touring, etc. - then i think he/they would have been acknowledged by the hall of fame. GN'R is in a unique predicament insofar as that people outside the forum pretty much don't give credence to the new line up, for reasons i outlined before. whether that's fair is debatable, but whether it's deserved isn't: not touring, not releasing music and not doing publicity for years on end while your older music ages like fine wine will tend to have that effect.

This is your opinion, not a fact or a "guarantee". It is also irrelevant. You can easily argue that Tommy Stinson has contributed as much as either one of those two I mentioned and deserves to be inducted as much as them. That MAY be what Axl is referring to, and he has a point whether or not you want to admit it.

Ali

:lol: you are so full of shit

Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make)

what he's basically saying here is that he doesn't think the have the right to claim what constitutes "guns n' roses." that they shouldn't be able to select certain members of the band for induction, as if he has the right to decide what guns n' roses is. and that because they did so, given the history of the band and its dissolution and how well-recorded that they didn't split amicaly, he's almost taking it as a personal insult that they would acknowledge those guys.

this is idiotic. while axl laboured over a single album for more than a decade and toured only a couple times (one of them ending in disaster), the world moved on. guns n' roses ceased to become a band, but they grew in legend, and now most kids from my generation would refer to them as 'classic rock,' and indeed, one girl recently told me she hated sweet child o' mine because she 'doesn't like classic rock.' there's a reason you hear these songs played by drunk people at bars alongside other classic rock jams. it's music people grew up on.

the line up being inducted into the hall of fame IS the line up that people by large consider to constitute guns n' roses. and not just a matter of perception: it is literally the line up that crafted their most popular record, which is now considered to be a classic and is often on best-of-all-time lists, and it includes a couple members of the line up that created two of their biggest commercial hits with the 'illusions.'

no one looks at the chinese democracy line up and considers that to be a legitimate version of guns n' roses - perhaps outside of the rabid online fanbase and axl himself - but that fault rests on his shoulders. i can understand axl's viewpoint in regards to this whole ordeal - that the guys he's been working with for the past decade-plus are, to him, the current band. but to the public eye they're just fill-ins for the "real" band, and that's really his own fault for not doing more press, publicity, promotions, and, y'know, releasing music.

by all accounts he's got a great set of musicians right now. he just doesn't seem to know what to fucking do with them.

declining the induction is childish. if you're not gonna show up, then be like izzy stradlin and just don't say anything. i guess he felt there was too much pressure and wanted to end all the hysteria, but frankly he comes off worse than he has in years here. for as well-worded and lengthy as it was, basically it amounts to a giant insult to everyone, including his current bandmembers.

edit: i think at the end of the day, the real reason this letter struck a nerve with me ISN'T because there won't be a reunion. i didn't think there would be and frankly i'm not one of those whining for one constantly, because i do enjoy the current line up (just wish they'd be put to use in the studio!). i think what bothered me is the fact that he's now more than a half-century old and, unlike duff, time hasn't given him a mature perspective on life. he's still the grudge-holding dude he was in 1994, or at least that is what could be gathered from the tone of his letter and his final decision to not attend. the fact that he actually declined the induction and can't just accept it as a recognition of how much his music has meant to people in the last 25 + years...it's just pretty sad, and kind of disappointing.

You are assuming he is insulted that the old band was picked for induction. I don't think that's necessarily it. It could be he feels Tommy should've been inducted as well, for example.

This does not insult the current band in any way. I disagree completely with that.

Ali

That's complete and utter bullshit. As much as I respect Tommy (had a fun night of drinking with the guy), what has he done to warrant inclusion under the Guns N' Roses banner? Other than help produce one album that few people noticed and smart enough not to piss off Axl enough to get fired and collect a check for 15 years, what has he done to be included with the likes of the all time greats?

If the current band wants to be considered equals to the AFD/UYI lineup, then start fucking releasing music. Do something! One album that no one paid attention to does not bequeath legendary status. Just because you play with legend doesn't make you one. Tommy might deserve consideration under the Replacements banner, but certainly not Guns N' Roses until there's a body of work to warrant such praise.

What I read in Axl's letter is that he was open to the induction ceremony process, but only under his own guise and permission. He thinks its his birthday party alone and unless his demands are met, he'll take his party hat and stay home. Not only that, he doesn't even want anyone else to celebrate him.

It's one thing to not want to show up or perform, it's another to disown your past and former bandmates because his conditions would not be appeased.

He's really shooting himself in the foot here; teeing the bawl up nicely for the members who do show up to really knock it out of the park.

If he took issue with what Adler said before the ceremony, just wait until that stroke-saddled idiot gets a hold the mic on Saturday.

What has Josh Klinghoffer done other than help produce one album few people noticed and collect a pay check for three years? What has he done to be included with the greats? There has been an unfortunate precedent set by the hall's inconsistency. Tommy's inclusion is a valid discussion based on this.

Ali

It's disappointing. But in the big picture not a really big deal. The induction only seems like such a huge event because of what we've built it up into with all the discussion.

On the plus side, the letter does seem to indicate a commitment to more New Guns stuff. He still seems like he has something to prove with it by declining his induction. That's your number one sign he's going to release new music.

I agree with this. And I would rather hear new music and see this killer band live than find their work and progress derailed by media and fans calling for a reunion. I'm so used to seeing the current line up that the original one would seem weird to me anyway.

With hesitation, I support Axl.

WHOOOOO!!!! This is ABSOLUTELY Rock N Roll at its FINEST!

Don't you all understand that the RRHOF inducted GNR for THEM, and most certainly not GNR?!??? Axl clearly stated that he's not taking ANYTHING away from the original lineup, or their accomplishments. The RRHOF is a sham, that has no justification or true foundation for their decision making, and is a completely biased entity. Axl stood up to these frauds, and didn't give in to their bullshit pomp and circumstance. He also clearly said that HE'S HAPPY. He's happy with this band -- so why say F him??? The fact that you say he's screwing the fans is selfish, immature, and quite frankly-- foolish. The Hall doesn't care about the fans, and Axl understands this. Maybe you all should start listening.

He doesn't owe you or me ANYTHING. Being a singer is the job that he's chosen, and as such, the fact that he busts his ass and puts on an incredible show should be more than enough.

what he's basically saying here is that he doesn't think the have the right to claim what constitutes "guns n' roses." that they shouldn't be able to select certain members of the band for induction, as if he has the right to decide what guns n' roses is. and that because they did so, given the history of the band and its dissolution and how well-recorded that they didn't split amicaly, he's almost taking it as a personal insult that they would acknowledge those guys.

this is idiotic. while axl laboured over a single album for more than a decade and toured only a couple times (one of them ending in disaster), the world moved on. guns n' roses ceased to become a band, but they grew in legend, and now most kids from my generation would refer to them as 'classic rock,' and indeed, one girl recently told me she hated sweet child o' mine because she 'doesn't like classic rock.' there's a reason you hear these songs played by drunk people at bars alongside other classic rock jams. it's music people grew up on.

the line up being inducted into the hall of fame IS the line up that people by large consider to constitute guns n' roses. and not just a matter of perception: it is literally the line up that crafted their most popular record, which is now considered to be a classic and is often on best-of-all-time lists, and it includes a couple members of the line up that created two of their biggest commercial hits with the 'illusions.'

no one looks at the chinese democracy line up and considers that to be a legitimate version of guns n' roses - perhaps outside of the rabid online fanbase and axl himself - but that fault rests on his shoulders. i can understand axl's viewpoint in regards to this whole ordeal - that the guys he's been working with for the past decade-plus are, to him, the current band. but to the public eye they're just fill-ins for the "real" band, and that's really his own fault for not doing more press, publicity, promotions, and, y'know, releasing music.

by all accounts he's got a great set of musicians right now. he just doesn't seem to know what to fucking do with them.

declining the induction is childish. if you're not gonna show up, then be like izzy stradlin and just don't say anything. i guess he felt there was too much pressure and wanted to end all the hysteria, but frankly he comes off worse than he has in years here. for as well-worded and lengthy as it was, basically it amounts to a giant insult to everyone, including his current bandmembers.

edit: i think at the end of the day, the real reason this letter struck a nerve with me ISN'T because there won't be a reunion. i didn't think there would be and frankly i'm not one of those whining for one constantly, because i do enjoy the current line up (just wish they'd be put to use in the studio!). i think what bothered me is the fact that he's now more than a half-century old and, unlike duff, time hasn't given him a mature perspective on life. he's still the grudge-holding dude he was in 1994, or at least that is what could be gathered from the tone of his letter and his final decision to not attend. the fact that he actually declined the induction and can't just accept it as a recognition of how much his music has meant to people in the last 25 + years...it's just pretty sad, and kind of disappointing.

This.

ER has the best post in this entire topic.

What I wonder about is Axl not wanting to be associated with the old band in an way shape or form....or have them considered as part of the entity that is GnR. Does that mean that the current band will no longer play songs that the old band made famous? Is this a GREAT sign for us fans of the new band, as it means Axl is really going to start concentrating on putting out new music with the current band, so they can really stand on their own merits as a band?????

I love the current group and cannot wait to hear what they can do in the studio. And that is the only way for Axl to allow the current band to make their mark as "GnR."

The fact that so many who think they have a right to demand a reunion have decided Axl must be pissed about the old guys being honored, despite the fact that he SPECIFICALLY said he doesn't begrudge them their achievements or accolades just reenforces how deluded they are.

To me, his letter said he didn't begrudge the old guys their acheivements, but then goes on to use the word "we" in reference to GnR (meaning the new guys) and saying the rrhof didn't respect his wishes. He actually thought he was going to bring the new band there. That's insane. GnR is being inducted because of AforD, the original songs with the original guys.

The new band is not a real band okay? They play old songs and Axl calls every shot, it's his fantasy world and they just live in it. I've always loved Axl, but the truth is, he's a tragedy.

Eddie Trunk

I've forever said someone needs to stand up to the Hall & not cave to them & I love @axlrose did! This sends a great message to them!

Like · · 4 · @EddieTrunk on Twitter · about a minute ago via Twitter

I know Eddie feels strong about this. I am glad Axl has some good support.

OK so now we can add the "Hall" as another enemy. Fucking christ almighty I thought it was pathetic when Dr Pepper was the bad guy. Is it possible for anyone to come into contact with Axl Rose and him not feel persecuted in some way or another.

Big agreement with the above statement^

"Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around." What does this sentence MEAN?!?! Old GN'R are up for it and I've seen in interviews that current GN'R members have no problem with it, so it's classic Axl bullshit.

I bet he would have made some excuse to not go even if somehow in the future it's the new version of GN'R got inducted.

This is your opinion, not a fact or a "guarantee".

no, it is as good as any guarantee you'll have. it's common sense, and i've explained why and if you disagree then you're actually reducing axl's struggles over the years: the whole reason he's struggled so much is that there's such pressure - from fans, from business - to reunite, because the general public and music historians don't perceive a band as inactive and secretive to be legitimate. i don't mean that in a snide, dismissive manner toward the new band. i mean it literally: if you're not releasing music, not doing press, and barely ever appearing live (and when you do, 90% of what you play is that other line-up's songs)...well, who's going to look at that and think of it as a functioning band? again, that's part of the reason axl has struggled over the years, so to try and say the predicament with this band is the same as the other two examples you gave me is, frankly, ignorant.

so, a re-cap: i've outlined the reasons why: lack of touring, publicity, music, whatever. that's the difference between RHCP and metallica. that's why their new members were inducted and GN'R's weren't. it doesn't have to be proven as a fact, because it's basic goddamned common sense.

It is also irrelevant.

then why ask me about it twice?

You can easily argue that Tommy Stinson has contributed as much as either one of those two I mentioned and deserves to be inducted as much as them

then please argue your reasons. i've given my reasons why he shouldn't be, as talented as he is and as much as i like him and the new line-up.

whether or not you want to admit it

that was the entire crux of my first post that you responded to. i would bet that is exactly axl's reasoning. i am giving an opinion on why i believe it is illogical reasoning.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Honestly, when I read the title of the thread, I was prepared to catch the hate train and get angry with Axl. Words cannot describe how royally disappointed I am. I want to be angry so much.

But after reading that letter, it's really hard for me to be upset with Axl. He obviously gave it a lot of thought and decided to stick with his principles. What he's doing is really ballsy, but he is being consistent and staying true to himself. I respect that a lot. I will continue to support him even if I don't like his decision as a fan. I think he did the right thing for himself, though.

If anyone's read Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card, that decision Bean had to make about leaving his wife and kids behind to possibly save the lives of his other children? That's what this reminds me of. An impossible decision that has no happy ending either way.

In summary, I'm completely crestfallen, but I respect Axl.

Ali,

Do you give Axl a thumbs up or a thumbs down for his demanding that his name not be affiliated with GnR being inducted into the HOF?

-Groghan

Wrong.

I think he could've declined attendance while accepting induction.

To the majority, I'm sure it shows him in a negative light. I appreciate the fact that he spoke his mind, although I think he should've done so sooner if he could.

Ali

Bet a lot of the whiners are americans, you're the only ones who can possibly believe the HOF is worth something :xmassrudolph:. Axl thanks us after each concert, he doesn't need to, yet he does it! Why do you need him going to that freak show to think is more real is beyond me!

I didn't really care about him turning up at the HOF, means nothing to me.

Really though, Axl is 50 year old, it's a bit embarrassing him still acting like a pissed off teenager.

A well worded letter explaining your reasoning, saying your ex-bandmates are welcome to their honors and achievements and graciously declining is not acting like a pissed off teenager.

Whinging when rockstars don't behave the way you want on the other hand...

If you read I said i didn't care about HOF, i'm certainly not whinging!

Just think Axl has a tendency to see everyone as the enemy with an agenda against him - maybe he should have grown out of it by now.

Ali,

-Groghan

Wrong.

I think he could've declined attendance while accepting induction.

To the majority, I'm sure it shows him in a negative light. I appreciate the fact that he spoke his mind, although I think he should've done so sooner if he could.

Ali

Sure Ali, we all know what you really think ;)