Axl Rose not attending HOF

Tabitha27

I don't get all the people saying this is where they stop being a fan and stuff. It's fine to disagree with Axl and be pissed off. I am among those who was hoping he'd at least show up. It doesn't mean I won't still enjoy the music he may or may not put out. It especially doesn't mean the Guns N' Roses music that is already out there starts being bad.

people say a lot of stuff at emotional times.

i think the fact that people have shown such passion about this reflects what it meant to fans. it's not about the RNRHoF as i suspect winning the heisman or whatever in sports isn't really about fans being glad that some athlete they like got a cool trophy. it's about the idea behind it, that an entity - in this case musicians - who you stand behind and support are being acknowledged for work that has affected you. music is such an intrinsically emotional experience for people, and people have been listening to GN'R for so long, that it's not at all surprising to me that people are taking this so personally. it's what it represents.

99% of the people saying they're "done with axl" will be listening to paradise city within the next week and it won't affect what that song means to you or has meant to you for years.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised really, when it was announced I guessed it would be Slash, Duff, Matt and Steven who showed up. I hoped Axl would and as he can be unpredictable y'never know. He's got his reasons for steering clear and it's cool he gave a public explanation.

Re the new bands lack of inclusion, it basically comes down to the fact that for various reasons (rightly or wrongly) it seems the majority of people don't see the new band as "Guns N' Roses" and the fact post key members leaving there wasn't a huge output of material to help cement a new lineup. I'm still interested in seeing how the induction plays out and whether whoever shows up perform or not.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

This depresses me:

12 years Chinese Democracy Tour

1 Album in 20 years

The guy even declines HF induction to evade meetin' with ex-mates

Nobody expects a new album from GNR to this point. Just touring with 50 years ODD Mickey Mouse ... Is there any future for this guy/band?

Your favourite RnR band is supposed to be something funny to spend time on. This is as funny as shooting yourself.

I'm completely dissapointed by this. I'm a big fan of the new era GNR, but without the old original line-ups success, they current line up wouldn't be able to do what it is doing. I've respected the fact that Axl has never sold out, but this is ridiculous. This is a huge honor, and he should be man enough to stand up and thank the past bandmates and the fans, plain and simple. I hope that the new GNR will turn into something, they need to promote themselves, and put new music out for people to give them credit as a band. This is just another waisted opportunity. Axl could of used some good positive PR. Accepting this award would of given him and the new band some pos buzz that they need. If new music was to follow shortly it would of been a great pr move. Unfortunately, I think we are a long way off from seeing any new material. I'm still a fan, just deflated.

Just reallt don't know what to think with all this. It's a real shame for everyone, Axl is about Axl always has been, always will be. I can only speak for myself , but from now on, i am just going to listen to the music, any other stuff to do with him, i'd rather just ignore from now on.

Agree or disagree, but it's tough to fault somebody for staying true to themselves.

Hard to sum it up more perfectly than this. Love him or hate him, he's true to himself and he's still Axl Rose. Anyone whining about any other bullshit has themselves to blame. People weren't promised anything, and any sane fan would have known how much of a farce this thing was going to be from the second it was announced.

Edited by mr-fukaji

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's the most rad thing ever.

Ladies and gentlemen if you don't think Axl is the embodiment of Rock n Roll then you've missed the point entirely. The man is the definition of rebel, doing things his own fucking way. Time and time again the man proves that he will always do whatever he in his heart feels is right.

He's a sad and bitter old man acting like a child. It's not rock and roll to treat your fans like shit despite what you might think.

Did you read the latter? The man has his reasons. Simple as that. He's sticking by them. If it's wrong to you, then so fucking be it. But you gotta at least respect a man who whole heartedly does what he feels is right.

I don't get all the people saying this is where they stop being a fan and stuff. It's fine to disagree with Axl and be pissed off. I am among those who was hoping he'd at least show up. It doesn't mean I won't still enjoy the music he may or may not put out. It especially doesn't mean the Guns N' Roses music that is already out there starts being bad.

people say a lot of stuff at emotional times.

i think the fact that people have shown such passion about this reflects what it meant to fans. it's not about the RNRHoF as i suspect winning the heisman or whatever in sports isn't really about fans being glad that some athlete they like got a cool trophy. it's about the idea behind it, that an entity - in this case musicians - who you stand behind and support are being acknowledged for work that has affected you. music is such an intrinsically emotional experience for people, and people have been listening to GN'R for so long, that it's not at all surprising to me that people are taking this so personally. it's what it represents.

99% of the people saying they're "done with axl" will be listening to paradise city within the next week and it won't affect what that song means to you or has meant to you for years.

I don't agree with everything you say ER, but I do agree with this.

I understand people feeling disappointed, hoping that they would get together for one night. But I struggle with people saying Axl actually treated them in some negative way, like it was a personal hit against them.

Edited by Orsys

Agree or disagree, but it's tough to fault somebody for staying true to themselves.

Hard to sum it up more perfectly than this. Love him or hate him, he's true to himself and he's still Axl Rose. Anyone whining about any other bullshit has themselves to blame. People weren't promised anything, and any sane fan would have known how much of a farce this thing was going to be from the second it was announced.

This, really no reason to make a big deal out of it. Axl pretty much stated what a lot of people were thinking. Rational people.

This depresses me:

12 years Chinese Democracy Tour

1 Album in 20 years

The guy even declines HF induction to evade meetin' with ex-mates

Nobody expects a new album from GNR to this point. Just touring with 50 years ODD Mickey Mouse ... Is there any future for this guy/band?

Your favourite RnR band is supposed to be something funny to spend time on. This is as funny as shooting yourself.

Whilst I try and remain positive, this is something I often wonder. I mean DJs written some stuff but I wonder if we'll see in album within say five years. In my opinion they still put on a kickass show so I'd keep on seeing them if they carry on touring like they're doing. But I do wonder if we'll see any new music in say five or ten years.

A really good letter. I like that he comes off as honestly conflicted. One douchey point: congratulates the other artists, but not the members of GNR who are accepting their induction. Not a big deal, but a little bit of a rib to those guys. Can't shake the feeling that Steven running his mouth ruined a good thing here.

Had the Rock Hall acknowledged the players on Chinese Democracy, he might have considered going.

The future of GNR still has Duff and Izzy in mind. It's entirely possible they could work on new music with the current lineup, but will have to be up to them more than Axl. But the way Axl does things, won't be such a big deal. But I guarantee if they do, people would take it as "a return to AFD" and prob. fly off the shelves.

Steven's going to be blamed for Axl being a no-show, but Axl made his mind up on this long ago. It was kind of unexpected to hear the news today, but I know no one here's surprised.

What joke, Axl officially = a has been at this point. For a 50 year old to act like he's 12, is pretty embarrassing. I'm done. To rob the fans, which have supported him over the years time and time again, over petty bullshit, enough is enough. Peace out.

A really good letter. I like that he comes off as honestly conflicted. One douchey point: congratulates the other artists, but not the members of GNR who are accepting their induction. Not a big deal, but a little bit of a rib to those guys. Can't shake the feeling that Steven running his mouth ruined a good thing here.

Had the Rock Hall acknowledged the players on Chinese Democracy, he might have considered going.

The future of GNR still has Duff and Izzy in mind. It's entirely possible they could work on new music with the current lineup, but will have to be up to them more than Axl. But the way Axl does things, won't be such a big deal. But I guarantee if they do, people would take it as "a return to AFD" and prob. fly off the shelves.

Steven's going to be blamed for Axl being a no-show, but Axl made his mind up on this long ago. It was kind of unexpected to hear the news today, but I know no one here's surprised.

Personally I think that Dizzy's inclusion was just that. If he wasn't currently in the band and left in say the mid 90s I doubt he would have been inducted. Not diminishing the guy's contribution but in some ways I think his inclusion was an acknowledgement of the current lineup in some way.

Ladies and gentlemen if you don't think Axl is the embodiment of Rock n Roll then you've missed the point entirely. The man is the definition of rebel, doing things his own fucking way. Time and time again the man proves that he will always do whatever he in his heart feels is right.

He's a sad and bitter old man acting like a child. It's not rock and roll to treat your fans like shit despite what you might think.

No. He simply doesn't want to take that award certainly because of everything that's being said and done regarding the HOF thing.

I'll be really honest... I hoped Axl would actually refuse to be inducted earlier this year, not only now, a few days before the ceremony.

Respect to him. Fuck media, fuck awards. His integrity means more than anything else. Thank you for proving me that once again, Axl. I'm supporting the right guy.

Typical Axl Rose letter -- Make vague references to others trying to take advantage of him for personal gain? Check. Make more vague references to all the wrongs that have been done to you over the years by, uh, well just about everybody you've ever come in contact with? Check. Take subtle shots at ex-band members? Check. Take veiled shots at the press for supposedly trying to twist Axl's words? Check.

Fuck, man. It's one night. Walk on stage, speak for a minute or two, walk off stage and never look at Slash again. That's all you had to do, Axl, but you couldn't. I'm sure it's for "reasons we'll never understand" but maybe it's time to either make us understand, or shut up and go away.

BTW - Axl is such an incredible dickhead for doing this literally days before the ceremony when people have already bought tickets and arranged travel pans in anticipation of seeing him.

Edited by OTHAFA

No. He simply doesn't want to take that award certainly because of everything that's being said and done regarding the HOF thing.

I'll be really honest... I hoped Axl would actually refuse to be inducted earlier this year, not only now, a few days before the ceremony.

Respect to him. Fuck media, fuck awards. His integrity means more than anything else. Thank you for proving me that once again, Axl. I'm supporting the right guy.

He did everything I hoped he would. Turn it down.

What joke, Axl officially = a has been at this point. For a 50 year old to act like he's 12, is pretty embarrassing. I'm done. To rob the fans, which have supported him over the years time and time again, over petty bullshit, enough is enough. Peace out.

Rob them of what? This reunion wasn't owed to us.

The overreaction here is good, as ever. What did people expect if he'd have shown up? Did anyone honestly expect him to get up there and belt out Yesterday after the things he's said about Slash or the shit Adler's talked and everyone would just hug and it to be EXACTLY like the Ritz '88? Talking Heads played when they got inducted and it made for one of the most awkward viewing experiences i've ever seen. There's less chance of any kind of embarassing scene with him not showing up, and he had the mind to at least let people know than have everyone feverishly at their computers this weekend with endless streams of "IS AXL THERE WTFFFFF".

Get a grip. It's a group of millionaires having their ego stroked for one night.

I support his decision. He's damned either way anyway, like he said. I do feel sorry for anyone who spent money on tickets, I'm disappointed he can't be there and I wouldn't have been able to see it until fucking who knows when, thanks to HBO. Even so, he has good reasons, most of all the new band. I know as well as he probably does that if the new band had went and played, it would've been a media shitstorm over how "terrible" they were all because Slash wasn't with them. (You know, because Slash was the only other member in the old band. He appearently played everything at once in different costumes.) If he had reunited with the old band for a song, it would've just been a fuck you to the new band and everyone would be pissed the band on tour isn't the old one. Eitherway, someone is pissed, but this way he's taking one for the new band. I can fully respect that. I just hope things work out for the best, like he intends for them to. All the people hardcore bitching though has me wondering. The saddest/most disappointing part of this whole thing is the situation he and the new band are in, honestly. Once again, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I didn't say anything about a reunion. I'd say as much money and time I've spent he owes at least showing up instead of being a little bitch.

BTW - Axl is such an incredible dickhead for doing this literally days before the ceremony when people have already bought tickets and arranged travel pans in anticipation of seeing him.

He was never confirmed as showing up. Why would he be at fault for people spending cash and time on their own outrageous self made fantasy?

I didn't say anything about a reunion. I'd say as much money and time I've spent he owes at least showing up instead of being a little bitch.

Oh, he owes you, Mr. Sprinkles?