Axl Rose not attending HOF

Tabitha27

Make sure this gets posted in the reunion section.

Why? All of the reunionists are already up here whining and crying.

Hopefully they will go back to where they came from now that there unrealistic fantasies have been destroyed.

Not sure why everyone hates the reunionists. Nothing wrong with them, and there's nothing wrong with dreaming.

Not everyone here is wanting a reunion. We just expected our favorite artist to attened the HOF for us.

Exactly.

I don't know why the posters who worship Axl get so angry and defensive about everything.

I never wanted a reunion.

But it would have been a huge treat and thank you to the fans to make the hall of fame thing a success. Three hours of his life.

Personally, I would rather hear one new song than see the old band onstage. But I will be labeled a hater and receive personal insults for not comparing Axls letter to the Bible.

Again with the "worshiping Axl"?

It has nothing to do with that. I just don't see how anyone could have expected anything different. I find it ridiculous that people are acting all sad and hurt when it's been pretty clearly laid out over the last 20 years, that this would happen.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's a lot of supposition.

People complain about being let down and I read a comment like this and wonder even more if showing up and accepting the induction with the old band would've lead to an even bigger let down when a reunion didn't happen reminiscent of what happened with Van Halen in 1996.

Ali

I'm ok with supposition.

But I do agree with your other point. As much as many people said they would be happy just seeing those guys all on stage one more time and doing a few songs, no doubt fans would be looking, demanding, and begging for more.

As for Van Halen though, well, look at them now. If Eddie and Dave could make ammends and move on.......nevermind.

Good luck with your Ca$h Grab Part 12 tour Mr. Axl Rose. :thumbsup:

:fuckyou:

Oh yes, Axl passed up the Hall of Fame reunion to grab cash :rolleyes:

Indeed. A reunion with people he despises for the sake of popularity would be the biggest and most desperate cash-grab of them all. Some people just don't understand the concept of integrity.

Oh and touring 20 times on a single album with a setlist full of songs created by people he depises isn't a cash grab? If he had any artistic integrity left he would now distance himself from all of those albums.

An artist has to distance himself from his past work and no longer perform it regardless of whether he feels it still represents him as an artist? Congratulations, that's the stupidest thing I heard all day.

He's argued giving up the GNR name would've been financial suicide.

He's argued that why shouldn't he play the songs if that is what the fans wanted to hear?

He's stuck with two things that gave him his career, and they were made with people he now despises. If he really wants to distance himself from the past, and finally stop pissing on fans dreams I say yes, he has to stop performing it.

The lunatic even went far enough as to re-record Appetite For Destruction, well then, why not keep going on that then? Axl was only 20% of the AFD line-up, he really should distance himself from the other band members contributions.

Sounds like axls decision is partly or maybe mainly due to stevens public outbusts. So if you are looking for someone to blame, you know who to....

There's always someone else to blame.

Agreed! There is no one to blame for Axl's decision but Axl. I respect his decision and his right to make it. What I disagree with is the constant implication that no matter what the situation is with him it is always someone elses fault.

Of course he's responsible for his own choice. But, do you really think that Adler's comments helped an already awkward situation? To me, it was an unnecessary complication that made an awkward situation more awkward. I don't think he's saying it's Steven or Slash's fault he's choosing to not attend. Just that he's read their comments and possibly they played a role.

Ali

Indeed. A reunion with people he despises for the sake of popularity would be the biggest and most desperate cash-grab of them all. Some people just don't understand the concept of integrity.

Oh and touring 20 times on a single album with a setlist full of songs created by people he depises isn't a cash grab? If he had any artistic integrity left he would now distance himself from all of those albums.

An artist has to distance himself from his past work and no longer perform it regardless of whether he feels it still represents him as an artist? Congratulations, that's the stupidest thing I heard all day.

He's argued that why shouldn't he play the songs if that is what the fans wanted to hear?

He's stuck with two things that gave him his career, and they were made with people he now despises. If he really wants to distance himself from the past, and finally stop pissing on fans dreams I say yes, he has to stop performing it.

Unfortunately he's a grown man and what you say matters to him not in the least. Axl Rose makes his own decisions based on his own ideas and values and not based on whether they'll be popular decisions with internet nobody's who feel they have a right to some input in his process.

They were made with people he now despises....and now he goes out and plays them with people he doesn't. Zen!

It amazes me how some people never learned 'Axl does what he wants, not what you want'. He's been saying so and proving so for 25 years. Get it through.

Yeah, that's a lot of supposition.

People complain about being let down and I read a comment like this and wonder even more if showing up and accepting the induction with the old band would've lead to an even bigger let down when a reunion didn't happen reminiscent of what happened with Van Halen in 1996.

Ali

I'm ok with supposition.

But I do agree with your other point. As much as many people said they would be happy just seeing those guys all on stage one more time and doing a few songs, no doubt fans would be looking, demanding, and begging for more.

As for Van Halen though, well, look at them now. If Eddie and Dave could make ammends and move on.......nevermind.

That wasn't my point with Van Halen at all. I'm talking about what happened in '96 at the VMAs and the expectation that almost immediately created.

Ali

A really good letter. I like that he comes off as honestly conflicted. One douchey point: congratulates the other artists, but not the members of GNR who are accepting their induction. Not a big deal, but a little bit of a rib to those guys. Can't shake the feeling that Steven running his mouth ruined a good thing here.

Steven didn't ruin it.. Truth be told Axls a pussy.. He's too scared to reunite with the guys just to accept an award.. I thought he would have manned up.. Not the case..

Steven didn't ruin shit.. Axls said worse.. Don't forget.

I can understand worrying about undoing NuGNR stuff, but from 1998-2012 we've had 1 album, 14 songs. It's just unbelievably hard to defend Axl to non-fans, you end up sounded like some brainwashed girlfriend talking about her abusive partner. I understand not wanting to turn up, but not wanting to be inducted? Why would he not want to be recognised for his past achievements along with his former bandmates?

i think people fail to see that 70% of us didn't want a reunion as such a simple handshake between axl and slash would have made us happy enough to finally move on just knowing axl could man up

Exactly. I accepted the fact that Axl did NOT want to perform but to refuse the honor and tell everyone to fuck off is just... :shrugs:.

Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make)

what he's basically saying here is that he doesn't think the have the right to claim what constitutes "guns n' roses." that they shouldn't be able to select certain members of the band for induction, as if he has the right to decide what guns n' roses is. and that because they did so, given the history of the band and its dissolution and how well-recorded that they didn't split amicaly, he's almost taking it as a personal insult that they would acknowledge those guys.

this is idiotic. while axl laboured over a single album for more than a decade and toured only a couple times (one of them ending in disaster), the world moved on. guns n' roses ceased to become a band, but they grew in legend, and now most kids from my generation would refer to them as 'classic rock,' and indeed, one girl recently told me she hated sweet child o' mine because she 'doesn't like classic rock.' there's a reason you hear these songs played by drunk people at bars alongside other classic rock jams. it's music people grew up on.

the line up being inducted into the hall of fame IS the line up that people by large consider to constitute guns n' roses. and not just a matter of perception: it is literally the line up that crafted their most popular record, which is now considered to be a classic and is often on best-of-all-time lists, and it includes a couple members of the line up that created two of their biggest commercial hits with the 'illusions.'

no one looks at the chinese democracy line up and considers that to be a legitimate version of guns n' roses - perhaps outside of the rabid online fanbase and axl himself - but that fault rests on his shoulders. i can understand axl's viewpoint in regards to this whole ordeal - that the guys he's been working with for the past decade-plus are, to him, the current band. but to the public eye they're just fill-ins for the "real" band, and that's really his own fault for not doing more press, publicity, promotions, and, y'know, releasing music.

by all accounts he's got a great set of musicians right now. he just doesn't seem to know what to fucking do with them.

declining the induction is childish. if you're not gonna show up, then be like izzy stradlin and just don't say anything. i guess he felt there was too much pressure and wanted to end all the hysteria, but frankly he comes off worse than he has in years here. for as well-worded and lengthy as it was, basically it amounts to a giant insult to everyone, including his current bandmembers.

edit: i think at the end of the day, the real reason this letter struck a nerve with me ISN'T because there won't be a reunion. i didn't think there would be and frankly i'm not one of those whining for one constantly, because i do enjoy the current line up (just wish they'd be put to use in the studio!). i think what bothered me is the fact that he's now more than a half-century old and, unlike duff, time hasn't given him a mature perspective on life. he's still the grudge-holding dude he was in 1994, or at least that is what could be gathered from the tone of his letter and his final decision to not attend. the fact that he actually declined the induction and can't just accept it as a recognition of how much his music has meant to people in the last 25 + years...it's just pretty sad, and kind of disappointing.

Edited by Estranged Reality

What was he trying to work out with HOF? How to be there but not have to ever see Slash?

What a douche. No respect for the man at all even though I still appreciate his talent.

He was obviously trying to get his new band in somehow :thumbsdown:

The only REAL CASH GRAB is the RNRHOF. The media hype generates millions for the artists because it boosts the sales of all previously released albums. Only thing the artists and labels need to do for it is sit back, relax, and cash the royalties that are coming in during the weeks around HOF. Touring the world and performing night after night with the current line up, working hard by giving 3 hour shows to the fans night after night, playing actual live music of a very high standard, can hardly be called a cash grab. Some people on here are really eager to jump the bandwagon. Same people that would've respected Izzy if he would have cancelled instead of Axl: 'Ooooh, Izzy is so cool, he is sooo geniune, the real force behind GNR, Izzy is all about integrity, Izzy drinks Nightrain champagne instead of expensive Moet champagne, oooooh let's suck Izzy's dick because he is such a copy of Bob Dylan. But if it's Axl who shows a little integrity, then all the haters come out again: 'He's such a dick. Axl's a selfish prick. Axl is the reason why my demented little brother has eyecancer. Axl's pure evil.' Fuck that, if you don't like it, go back to your basement room at your parents place, and keep on dwelling how cool and dangerous you were back in 198fuckty while listening to MJ's 'BAD' single.

See it from the bright sight. Thanks to Duff we now know the real name of BBA. Let the fun begin and start ordering pizza's to Chris Gehert's adress from all over the world. :rofl-lol:

This fucking sucks, and its typical of Axl to shit on the fans. We all wanted to see the group we know and love as Guns N' Roses on the same stage one last time, but it was too much to ask for. I'll never go to see the "scabs" or "hacks" he assembled again, thats for sure

Its just further confirmation that the fans that pay his bills and give him the luxorious lifestyle he lives means absolutley nothing. He can expect mediocre attendance figures for the rest of his career. You can't burn your supporters forever and get away with It.

This fucking sucks, and its typical of Axl to shit on the fans. We all wanted to see the group we know and love as Guns N' Roses on the same stage one last time, but it was too much to ask for.

No 'we' didn't all. You don't speak for everyone. I've been following this band for 20 years, love the current lineup and think performing as Guns N' Roses with people who exited the ranks years and years ago for the sake of a meaningless accolade would be an insult to the current ongoing group.

i think people fail to see that 70% of us didn't want a reunion as such a simple handshake between axl and slash would have made us happy enough to finally move on just knowing axl could man up

How is shaking hands with someone you despise and are morally repulsed by for the sake of receiving an award 'manning up'. Sounds like a cowards move to me.

good, finally Axl is admitting he IS NOT Guns N Roses

:lol: Fair play.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Slash, Duff and Stevie up there accepting their awards as Guns N' Roses.

Really?? i just see in my head Adler up there with a translator taking 8 hours to accept the award and fuck off

Stevie wonder eat your heart out

Steven has done fuck all with Guns. 1 Album he been on with the exception of a Civil war and goes on as if it was released last week. Send Tracey and Roberta up, they played more gigs

They were made with people he now despises....and now he goes out and plays them with people he doesn't. Zen!

Yes, because back then they all contributed to the band, as it was an actual band. Now it's Axl and his employees. They don't really have the right to put their foot in the sand, they get paid and they play. Really don't think you get ahead in life by pissing off your boss do you? So of course they have to get along.

What a dick.

So I guess this means he'll be putting all his efforts towards putting out the next Guns album this year..........NOT! <_<

Exactly. What a complete and utter dickhead. He's only 'Axl Rose of Guns n' Roses' because of the Appetite era band. The new band is awful and it's music, all of one random, scattered collection of various song ideas, would never have warranted this nomination. His letter is incredibly disrespectful and he'll regret his pathetic behaviour on his deathbed. Everyone else is willing to let bygones be bygones but he's too stubborn for that. In life, there are times when you are wronged by people you trust, but time makes you forgive, or it should.

He just has no dignity anymore, he's forgotten who he is and where he came from. He's destroying the bands name and it's legacy. It wouldn't be so bad if, as you mention, he actually did anything worthwhile with the new band apart from lazily touring to collect cash off the fans he claims to be so loyal to. Put some effort into it if you believe in it so much Axl and release another album.

I think it was a fair and respectful letter. Axl had no choices, really. He acknowledged the jabs of others without insulting them. He appears to have stated his position from the heart and shows incredible loyalty. He used integrity and it was well thought out.

He's right. He could not win in this situation, so he might as well stay true to his beliefs.