[ALMOST OFFICIAL] Slash, Matt, Steven, Duff, Gilby WILL perform at the Hall of Fame. Myles MIGHT sing!

Nosaj Thing

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The songs don't belong to Axl, but the rights to license them from the label for broadcast on HBO would probably be through the roof.

Sorry, I really know nothing about song rights and stuff. So does that mean there's any shot they will get played? Or maybe played at the ceremony and just not aired? Or are they not allowed to play the songs live at all without Axl's permission?

From what I know:

Axl controls the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses" for performing. So if tonight's band of ex-members is presented as "Guns N' Roses" and he disagrees with that or didn't give permission for them to do it, he can sue. Someone on the red carpet mentioned that if GNR performed tonight, they could show the first 30 seconds. That's consistent with the band's current policy of letting media film the first song or two, then cutting them off. Maybe Axl's allowing them to perform as GNR for one night only.

*Or* maybe the red carpet guy was alluding to the fact that under fair use, you can only utilize 30 seconds of something without having to pay royalties.

You can perform any song you want live. But TV/home video/internet/radio broadcast rights are a different kind of monster.

As long as they are not presented as GnR wouldnt it be OK for them to play songs? I mean those guys have writing credits on most of the songs. I have to say it would be a real shame and I would say then Axl was giving a big FU to the fans if he somehow some way prevented any GnR songs from being played tonight.

Eddie Trunk seems to imply that because of royalties (and I'm guessing that the songs belong to Axl) that its doubtful the band will be able to play any GNR songs tonight? Is that really true? And if so I really hope one of them mentions that because as much as I respect Axl's decision, that is just sad.

If Slash can play GNR songs on his live album singles etc, they can be played at the RRHOF. Eddie Trunk just wants attention.

They most likely will not present the performance as "Guns N' Roses" so I can't see why not. Slash has GNR songs on his DVD and live CD, so I can't see how it would be an issue

Eddie Trunk is saying TV rules are different. He could be wrong, but just going by what I'm reading.

Slash played Gun's songs at Glastonbury and that was broadcasted by the BBC.

I don't think it will be an issue.

Ew. Ewewewewew. No Slash, no, tell him to go fuck off back to Alter Bridge. He has nothing to do with this band, only your own.

Someone has to sing, and Axl isn't showing up. I say good for Myles

Edited by WhazUp

God! No! Any chance Izzy appears to this? He should be the one singing tonight... Duff is mediocre at best but I'll take him over Myles anyday, on a GnR song at least. Myles voice is fucking AWESOME! AB is very good. But he should stay the fuck away from GnR songs., except SCOM maybe...

Wondering what Axl is doing right now....?

Think there is a good chance that he is constantly pressing F5 on all the GN'R message boards, just to follow the induction ceremony all while having himself locked up in is room with the lights out (or maybe Beta is sitting next to him, feeding him some milk)

Wondering what Axl is doing right now....?

Think there is a good chance that he is constantly pressing F5 on all the GN'R message boards, just to follow the induction ceremony all while having himself locked up in is room with the lights out (or maybe Beta is sitting next to him, feeding him some milk)

I don't take Axl for a guy who likes to drink milk. The thought is weird...