Marc Canter interview

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Marc - I don't think Axl's ever talked about it, but how hard did he take Shannon Hoon's death in 1995?

I think it was a case of don't do the crime if you can't do the time, Anyone that fucks around with that shit could die at anytime but I don't really know, he never said anything to me about it. To me it was just a waste of life, very sad.

Do you think Shannon's death maybe led Axl to bring Paul Tobias closer to the band, as a way of having someone from Indiana around for comfort?

If you look at the traumatic things that would have affected Axl during his "dark" period:

March 1993 - Stephanie Seymour breaks off engagement with Axl

April 1994 - Kurt Cobain dies

October 1995 - Shannon Hoon dies

October 1996 - Slash leaves Guns N' Roses

May 1997 - West Arkeen dies

That's quite a trail of misery.

Is it?

If we are being realistic here. Cobain and Axl weren't friends.

Arkeen was a close friend. How tight were him and Hoon?

And his drummer quit.

Not like he went bankrupt, lost a child and his wife divorced him.

Heck, my dad died last Feb. Three guys I graduated with died. An aunt died. And one of my favorite high school teachers did. In the last three years.

Are u worried about my sanity or misery?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc - I don't think Axl's ever talked about it, but how hard did he take Shannon Hoon's death in 1995?

I think it was a case of don't do the crime if you can't do the time, Anyone that fucks around with that shit could die at anytime but I don't really know, he never said anything to me about it. To me it was just a waste of life, very sad.

Do you think Shannon's death maybe led Axl to bring Paul Tobias closer to the band, as a way of having someone from Indiana around for comfort?

If you look at the traumatic things that would have affected Axl during his "dark" period:

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

Heck, my dad died last Feb. Three guys I graduated with died. An aunt died. And one of my favorite high school teachers did. In the last three years.

I think Axl always liked helping friends out, but with Paul, it's already been discussed about his part in "Sympathy for the Devil" pissed Slash off. I guess you'd call him the "Yoko Ono" from what was said at the time, but it also played a part in the beginnings of nuGuns. Maybe if they could find out what he's doing now, he'd talk more openly about that period in his life. Slash wanted to be the only lead guitarist, and Axl prob. wanted two lead guitarists going back to the UYI sessions (just speculating). One issue that caused friction I guess.

from Axl's point of view Salsh is "evil" bcos he repeated that Axl forced him out over and over in the media for years. and this idea spread like cancer through the media and fans making it more and more difficult for Axl.

More and more difficult for what? We have no idea what prevented Axl from coming out to defend himself or to try and set the record straight, but if it was festering and bothering him for many years, he has no one else to blame but himself (not Slash, not the media, and not the fans) for holding it in so long.

This.

It's sad, but it's the truth.

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

To be completely honest, anyone who has paid attention to your posting history knows for a fact that you're not quite right in the head.

Honestly, who goes from being the biggest whiner about being called a nutthugger, to being the biggest user of the term? Only you.

Not to say that you don't have valid points on whichever side you're trying to play to, because you do. It's just the sheer hypocrisy that you live by that makes me question your stability.

Who bitches at someone for something and then turns around and does the same thing that they spent a lot of time bitching about? I remember a time that I had to bitch at you for wanting the mods to step in to get people to stop calling people a nutthugger. I know that you like to pretend that you don't remember who you said what to, but check your posted topics history and you will find a shining example of your whining.

It's sad really. Not because I disagree with you, but because you don't even know if you agree with yourself.

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

To be completely honest, anyone who has paid attention to your posting history knows for a fact that you're not quite right in the head.

Honestly, who goes from being the biggest whiner about being called a nutthugger, to being the biggest user of the term? Only you.

Not to say that you don't have valid points on whichever side you're trying to play to, because you do. It's just the sheer hypocrisy that you live by that makes me question your stability.

Who bitches at someone for something and then turns around and does the same thing that they spent a lot of time bitching about? I remember a time that I had to bitch at you for wanting the mods to step in to get people to stop calling people a nutthugger. I know that you like to pretend that you don't remember who you said what to, but check your posted topics history and you will find a shining example of your whining.

It's sad really. Not because I disagree with you, but because you don't even know if you agree with yourself.

I have to agree with you, Damn_Smooth. Groghan just seems permanently unhappy and no matter what position he's taking in his posts, he always acts like he's being horribly persecuted for it all the while calling others names.

Edited by rabia

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

I have to agree with you, Damn_Smooth. Groghan just seems permanently unhappy and no matter what position he's taking in his posts, he always acts like he's being horribly persecuted for it all the while calling others names.

I don't see the problem with Apollo's post. :shrugs: All he's done is point out the obvious. Everyone experiences heartbreak, rejection, and the death of loved ones at some points in their life. This is hardly exclusive to Axl. Seeing Cobain mentioned on that list made me laugh. I mean, seriously? I'd put Yoda there before him, but that's not even the point. We all experience loss in some ways, but most people don't use it as a crutch or an excuse to blame for their own personal flaws.

If you guys have some beef with Apollo that's one thing, we all have at least one poster on the forum we don't like or agree with (and usually more than one), but this didn't seem like the post to make an example of.

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

I don't see the problem with Apollo's post. :shrugs: All he's done is point out the obvious. Everyone experiences heartbreak, rejection, and the death of loved ones at some points in their life. This is hardly exclusive to Axl. Seeing Cobain mentioned on that list made me laugh. I mean, seriously? I'd put Yoda there before him, but that's not even the point. We all experience loss in some ways, but most people don't use it as a crutch or an excuse to blame for their own personal flaws.

If you guys have some beef with Apollo that's one thing, we all have at least one poster on the forum we don't like or agree with (and usually more than one), but this didn't seem like the post to make an example of.

Great response!!!

But be careful though.....there is a small group of posters , the Jarmo-lite crew, that attack anybody that doesn't worship the ground that Axl walks on. You just saw two of them.

And they have appointed themselves the forum police, dictating what others can and cannot post.

I've given up trying to debate them for the most part, as you see how they post. They don't debate the topic......they carry grudges from thread to thread, and always - ALWAYS - attack and insult the poster instead of taking on the idea/post.

Smooth's post.....I actually laughed. He is doing exactly what he is complaining about me doing.

He gets sooo angry at posters that disagree with him. I can't even respond to his post, as it is all insults at vague points that really make no sense. I apologized for calling people Nutters and haven't used the term in months. But that still bothers him? Let it go man. Don't let other posters bother you so much. As for the tone of your other insultive post......people want to talk about the Canter interview and GnR, not read immature arguing between forum members. Send me a PM about all the perceived flip-flopping you are so concerned about, and I will respond. I would love to know what the heck you are talking about.

You say you agree with some of my posts and not others. That is the way it should be. U point out what I do, and that is what u should do. Don't carry grudges. I look at each new post by somebody as a new post. I don't carry a grudge and say "oooh, I don't like this person, I better attack him." You guys do this. I concentrate on the post, not the poster.

Rabia......seriously? I've been respectful to you for months. My advice is the same to you. Life is too short to carry grudges against anonymous strangers on rock forums. Stick to the topics and don't be obsessed with who is making them.

Carrying grudges on rock forums is pretty pathetic.

As for your real comment. No, u are completely wrong. I post a LOT of positive comments. You guys just ignore those and focus on any that are negative. Persecuted? That made me chuckle. Believe me, I don't feel persecuted by people like you. You guys are so predictable it makes me laugh. I can make 9 positive posts in a row, then when the 10th one is negative I already know which posters are going to respond and how they are going to respond. Attack mode, insult mode, nothing about topic mode.

And instead of telling me why I'm wrong......you just make personal insults. You complain about my negativity....while you are being negative yourself. Hhmm.

Axl has been my favorite singer since 1987, which is probably longer than you both have been alive. CD is one of my ten favorite albums of all time. But sorry guys and girls, I don't worship the ground he walks on, and I don't think he is a His that does no wrong.

ANYWAY.....Smooth and Rabia. Once again, instead of just making personal attacks (yet again), how about telling me why you disagree with my post. That is what the forum is for. A place for GnR fans to talk about their favorite band.

Everyone experiences heartbreak, rejection, and the death of loved ones at some points in their life. This is hardly exclusive to Axl.

Tragic experiences are all relative and hardly similar, identical or measurable.

We all experience loss in some ways, but most people don't use it as a crutch or an excuse to blame for their own personal flaws.

Has Axl been quoted as using personal loss as an excuse to blame others? Please share.

we all have at least one poster on the forum we don't like or agree with (and usually more than one)

So truethumbsup.gif

We can all agree to disagree, but much of the venom on this forum would be in check if people stayed in their sections.

Everyone experiences heartbreak, rejection, and the death of loved ones at some points in their life. This is hardly exclusive to Axl.

Tragic experiences are all relative and hardly similar, identical or measurable.

My point was that everyone experiences it, not how they choose to deal with it.

We all experience loss in some ways, but most people don't use it as a crutch or an excuse to blame for their own personal flaws.

Has Axl been quoted as using personal loss as an excuse to blame others? Please share.

My response was to the poster who made that list of the "trail of misery". However, there are certainly different kinds of losses.

If I had a cache of Axl quotes stored on my computer for some weird reason, I'm sure I could come up with a few. May or not be the best example, but one that I always found fascinating,( not a direct quote but I'm sure it can be found somewhere ) was how he questions his masculinity and blames this on his Grandmother, because he overheard her when he was 4 years old talking badly about men.

we all have at least one poster on the forum we don't like or agree with (and usually more than one)

So truethumbsup.gif

We can all agree to disagree, but much of the venom on this forum would be in check if people stayed in their sections.

No, much of the venom would be in check if people were mature enough to tolerate different opinions.

My response was to the poster who made that list of the "trail of misery". However, there are certainly different kinds of losses.

If I had a cache of Axl quotes stored on my computer for some weird reason, I'm sure I could come up with a few. May or not be the best example, but one that I always found fascinating,( not a direct quote but I'm sure it can be found somewhere ) was how he questions his masculinity and blames this on his Grandmother, because he overheard her when he was 4 years old talking badly about men.

So truethumbsup.gif

No, much of the venom would be in check if people were mature enough to tolerate different opinions.

Your last sentence is the best post in this entire thread.

MyGNRForum as seen by Groghan: :xmasssanta:

beheadthosewhoinsultaxl.png

Jokes/irony .....only funny if there is an element of truth to it.

Flayer, I don't mind people having a different opinion. The ones who just make personal attacks and ignore the actual topic are the ones I don't understand.

I agree. It never ceases to amaze me the ability of some posters here who dare talk as if they knew what´s in Axl´s head and find an explanation for everything even when the man didn´t say a word about the issue ( I´m talking in general ).

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

Great response!!!

But be careful though.....there is a small group of posters , the Jarmo-lite crew, that attack anybody that doesn't worship the ground that Axl walks on. You just saw two of them.

And they have appointed themselves the forum police, dictating what others can and cannot post.

I've given up trying to debate them for the most part, as you see how they post. They don't debate the topic......they carry grudges from thread to thread, and always - ALWAYS - attack and insult the poster instead of taking on the idea/post.

Smooth's post.....I actually laughed. He is doing exactly what he is complaining about me doing.

He gets sooo angry at posters that disagree with him. I can't even respond to his post, as it is all insults at vague points that really make no sense. I apologized for calling people Nutters and haven't used the term in months. But that still bothers him? Let it go man. Don't let other posters bother you so much. As for the tone of your other insultive post......people want to talk about the Canter interview and GnR, not read immature arguing between forum members. Send me a PM about all the perceived flip-flopping you are so concerned about, and I will respond. I would love to know what the heck you are talking about.

You say you agree with some of my posts and not others. That is the way it should be. U point out what I do, and that is what u should do. Don't carry grudges. I look at each new post by somebody as a new post. I don't carry a grudge and say "oooh, I don't like this person, I better attack him." You guys do this. I concentrate on the post, not the poster.

Rabia......seriously? I've been respectful to you for months. My advice is the same to you. Life is too short to carry grudges against anonymous strangers on rock forums. Stick to the topics and don't be obsessed with who is making them.

As for your real comment. No, u are completely wrong. I post a LOT of positive comments. You guys just ignore those and focus on any that are negative. Persecuted? That made me chuckle. Believe me, I don't feel persecuted by people like you. You guys are so predictable it makes me laugh. I can make 9 positive posts in a row, then when the 10th one is negative I already know which posters are going to respond and how they are going to respond. Attack mode, insult mode, nothing about topic mode.

And instead of telling me why I'm wrong......you just make personal insults. You complain about my negativity....while you are being negative yourself. Hhmm.

Axl has been my favorite singer since 1987, which is probably longer than you both have been alive. CD is one of my ten favorite albums of all time. But sorry guys and girls, I don't worship the ground he walks on, and I don't think he is a His that does no wrong.

ANYWAY.....Smooth and Rabia. Once again, instead of just making personal attacks (yet again), how about telling me why you disagree with my post. That is what the forum is for. A place for GnR fans to talk about their favorite band.

Yes Groghan, I am doing exactly what I accused you of, with the minor difference of not whining about it when it's done back to me. I'm part of Jarmo's crew because I agree with most of your points? It's just your way of making those points that makes you sound unstable. You constantly attack groups of people for saying the same things that you yourself have said a million times over. Does that make sense to you?

If you had truly been capable of understanding what you read when you read my post, you would have seen that I gave you credit for making valid points not once, but twice. I am only disagreeing with your assumption that you are anything close to mentally stable.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

I agree. It never ceases to amaze me the ability of some posters here who dare talk as if they knew what´s in Axl´s head and find an explanation for everything even when the man didn´t say a word about the issue ( I´m talking in general ).

I'll tell ya what never ceases to amaze me, the people who take these discussions all too seriously.

Dude, no one knows what's in Axl's head, and from what Marc has said, I don't think Axl knows either. We can try and draw some conclusions based on what we've seen and heard, but in the end it's just an opinion, not to mention that things are always changing.

Back in 06 the Axl quote on Slash was "I love the guy. I always wanted everyone to know how great he was..." You see, how much validity can you even get from direct quotes? Axl has said plenty about plenty. He's also changed his mind too. Who doesn't, right? I don't see how that makes anyone's opinions more or less valid.

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

Great response!!!

YAWN. Same old crying and whining. Its so ironic for you to say "I focus on the post, not the poster". On page 11 of THIS VERY thread, you claimed that its Beta who feeds Axl the idea that Slash is for blame for everything and thus gets to control him. In a reunion she'd be shut out. I asked you what evidence you have for Beta having such power over Axl and you replied by saying that I "worshipped" Axl and thus was asking such a question. :rolleyes: So much for focusing on the post, not the poster. Your idea of being "respectful" was to ignore all the points I had placed before you on Page 12 and simply trying to stick a label to me, something you do constantly. No wonder I cant take such "respectfulness" seriously.

You do act persecuted all the time. In the financial woes thread, you were going on about how there are posters here not letting you have freedom of expression. I've lost count how many times you've sang that particular song.

I dont know anybody here who says that AXl has never done anything wrong. These are the words you keep putting into people's mouths. Its not a "grudge" to be tired of this martyr routine when you refuse to answer people's points and label them instead- you did it again in this very post. Nobody's dictating anything to you- you're just playing poor little me

again. :)

And after that you go on and on about how you actually love GN'R and how much you listen to GN'R songs and how long you've been a fan. Who cares?

Edited by rabia

Is it?

And his drummer quit.

Sure everybody goes through death and sadness. How soon one heals from the loss can vary though. The fact that Groghan handles personal loss very well has no bearing on Axl's life or that of any other person.

I dont see where Freddie Mercury's post was about using misery as a crutch etc. It was simply a question about how hard Axl took Shannon Hoon's death. Axl hasnt tried to use Shannon Hoon or West Arkeen or Kurt Cobain's death as an excuse for anything. Slash's departure caused practical difficulties and Stephanie Seymour's personal difficulties and both involved legal issues which impeded Axl but I doubt he'll simplify his life as being just about these two factors.

Traumatic experiences affect different people differently.

True. Not a great example. But, really fascinating hearsay.

Letting people and their opinions be, would be even more mature and tolerant.

It never ceases to amaze me the ability of some posters here who dare talk as if they knew what´s in Axl´s head and find an explanation for everything even when the man didn´t say a word about the issue ( I´m talking in general ).

This.

Traumatic experiences affect different people differently.

True. Not a great example. But, really fascinating hearsay.

It's not heresay if it's an actual quote.

"My grandmother had a problem with men. I heard my grandma going off on men when I was four. And I've had problems with my own masculinity because of that."

First quote is free. I start changing a finders fee after that.

Letting people and their opinions be, would be even more mature and tolerant.

Right. So I guess you'll stop responding now.

Smooth and Rabia you both crack me up. You both cry and whine when I called you a name u didnt like. But apparently it is OK for you guys to call people names?

Rabia, you obviously care because you quote old posts of mine and you carry grudges from topic to topic. And my gosh. You say I act persecuted because I argue with a small group of Jarmo-lites....but YOU complain about every post I make, and you complain about any post that isn't worshiping Axl. I understand you are young but come on, your constant personal attacks are a little ridiculous.

This isn't somebody feeling persecuted, it is a simple statement that would make the forum a much better place. Attack the post, not the poster.

Smooth. Yes. I'm mentally unstable because I called you a Nutter and don't worship Axl. I love how serious you take this forum, and how mad you get when you disagree with people. Your verbal attacks make you seem extremely immature. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Internet tough guys, gotta love them.

How about this.

I'm unstabled, crazy, persecuted, an e-expert, etc, etc, etc. Now is it possible to stay on topic? Is it possible to have a disagreement with somebody without resorting to personal attacks? We shall see.

Edited by Groghan

Smooth and Rabia you both crack me up. You both cry and whine when I called you a name u didnt like. But apparently it is OK for you guys to call people names?

Rabia, you obviously care because you quote old posts of mine and you carry grudges from topic to topic. And my gosh. You say I act persecuted because I argue with a small group of Jarmo-lites....but YOU complain about every post I make, and you complain about any post that isn't worshiping Axl. I understand you are young but come on, your constant personal attacks are a little ridiculous.

This isn't somebody feeling persecuted, it is a simple statement that would make the forum a much better place. Attack the post, not the poster.

Smooth. Yes. I'm mentally unstable because I called you a Nutter and don't worship Axl. I love how serious you take this forum, and how mad you get when you disagree with people. Your verbal attacks make you seem extremely immature. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Internet tough guys, gotta love them.

How about this.

I'm unstabled, crazy, persecuted, an e-expert, etc, etc, etc. Now is I

t possible to stay on topic? Is it possible to have a disagreement with somebody without resorting to personal attacks? We shall see.

Groghan, I'm not even sure where to begin here. It's like you took everything I said, ignored it, and replied to something that has nothing to do with anything.

If you think that I ever have been, or ever will be, offended by the term nutter, you're simply talking nonsense. I just find it incredibly stupid that you toss it around when you used to whine so bad about it that you had to start threads. I don't know why you are struggling so hard to understand that.

As for your view of my maturity, that is completely irellevant to me. I would suggest that you spend your time worrying about more important things, but you're free to live your life as you choose.

Now continue on with your "the forum is out to get me" mentality. I'll just sit here and continue to take things seriously.

How about this.

t possible to stay on topic? Is it possible to have a disagreement with somebody without resorting to personal attacks? We shall see.

Groghan, I'm not even sure where to begin here. It's like you took everything I said, ignored it, and replied to something that has nothing to do with anything.

If you think that I ever have been, or ever will be, offended by the term nutter, you're simply talking nonsense. I just find it incredibly stupid that you toss it around when you used to whine so bad about it that you had to start threads. I don't know why you are struggling so hard to understand that.

As for your view of my maturity, that is completely irellevant to me. I would suggest that you spend your time worrying about more important things, but you're free to live your life as you choose.

Now continue on with your "the forum is out to get me" mentality. I'll just sit here and continue to take things seriously.

Thanks for your opinions.

Now back to the topic......

How about this.

Thanks for your opinions.

Now back to the topic......

You're welcome.

It was a very interesting read.

"My grandmother had a problem with men. I heard my grandma going off on men when I was four. And I've had problems with my own masculinity because of that."

First quote is free. I start changing a finders fee after that.

Thanks. It is interesting. But, did he also hate his grandmother and call her a cancer?

Right. So I guess you'll stop responding now.

If only we were in Dust and Bones

Edited by The Archer