Marc Canter interview

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

While we rehash the past Axl and GNR are writing the myths of the future.

Good one. That's what keeps me coming here.

Nobody is denying animosity exists on both sides.

Slash just wants to be Axl's brother again rolleyes.gif

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabia

First, I don't fit in the reunion crowd. I would rather have an album from the current band than for Axl to go back with the old guys.

Second, why do u think if they did do a reunion it would only be one album or one your? You think they would do that and then go back to VR, and Axl would......

Third, difference of opinion aside, because neither one of us knows the truth. All the situations or circumstances you are throwing out are just your opinion, based on what you have read on the Net or in magazines. You are saying I'm wrong and demanding proof......but you aren't supplying 100% facts to prove your opinion is fact. There are people who post here anonymously, that work in the music industry or that have spent time with Axl. I'm not going to disrespect them by naming them, and ruining relationships they have in their field. You don't have to believe me, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

You and a couple of the others who worship Axl might not believe this, but I am as big of a fan of him as a singer as you are. If not bigger. I listen to GnR more than I listen to all other artists combined. For every hour of music I listen to, its probably 35 minutes is GnR and 25 all other bands.

Where we differ is you and a few others seem to look at almost every situation that Axl is involved in and automatically take his side. I don't and try and look at things objectively. So sometimes I praise and stick up for him, but if I think he is at fault, I will post that. It seems like there are 5-6 of you who always defend Axl, no matter what the situation. And yes, there are posters out there who bash anything Axl does and refuse to admit that Slash does anything wrong.

I'm not trying to argue or be rude to you. It is great for this forum and the band to have die-hard fans! But sometimes the constant worship of Axl I'm every situation, especially when it is obvious he is at fault, gets people riled up.

"Wishing the worst for Slash" seems a tad much. Say what you want about Axl, but from what I've heard, he has a good heart. Even with all his problems with Slash I doubt he'd wish terrible things on him.

Nope...no inside scoop. My only guess or whatever is "he hates him, will forerver and wants nothing but the worst for him". But does anyone here (the people who hate Slash and original GnR....any of the Nu Fans) think different?

As far as Slash not seeming ofended- "do you have inside scoop?" Truth is who knows how Slash felt, all we know is how he publicly responded.

This is the second time you've claimed that Axl wants "nothing but the worst" for Slash. Axl said absolutely nothing of that sort- all he said was that he wants no connection with Slash. Dont distort what was said.

Not that hard to read between the lines. Axl- "Slash should not have been in Guns to begin with....A cancer...better removed....less heard from the better". I don't think it's a stretch when I go out on a limb guessing that Axl wishes nothing but worst for Slash and probably regrets ever knowing him.

Once again, you are simply putting words in Axl's mouth.

What he said was that he wants to remove Slash from his own life, he did NOT say that he wishes horrible things to happen to Slash. If you don't want to hear from someone, that doesn't mean you wish them not to be able to speak at all.

Your "reading between the lines" is taking you in whatever convenient direction you want to go. You should be able to tell the difference between your own interpretations and the basic facts.

So in your opinion (based on personal experience with the band, or with Slash?), Slash has badmouthed Axl just to "look cool?" And, who is he trying to look "cool" for?

So conversely, when Axl badmouths Slash, is it just to try and look "cool" as well?

Its actually Marc Canter himself who said that Slash lies to look cool. Funny how you only seized upon those parts of the interview that confirmed your pre-existing points of view and forgot the rest. And Canter said nothing about Axl "lying" to "look cool". Even Vicky Hamilton states that Axl is "honest to a fault".

Edited by rabia

Rabia

First, I don't fit in the reunion crowd. I would rather have an album from the current band than for Axl to go back with the old guys.

Second, why do u think if they did do a reunion it would only be one album or one your? You think they would do that and then go back to VR, and Axl would......

Third, difference of opinion aside, because neither one of us knows the truth. All the situations or circumstances you are throwing out are just your opinion, based on what you have read on the Net or in magazines. You are saying I'm wrong and demanding proof......but you aren't supplying 100% facts to prove your opinion is fact. There are people who post here anonymously, that work in the music industry or that have spent time with Axl. I'm not going to disrespect them by naming them, and ruining relationships they have in their field. You don't have to believe me, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

You and a couple of the others who worship Axl might not believe this, but I am as big of a fan of him as a singer as you are. If not bigger. I listen to GnR more than I listen to all other artists combined. For every hour of music I listen to, its probably 35 minutes is GnR and 25 all other bands.

Where we differ is you and a few others seem to look at almost every situation that Axl is involved in and automatically take his side. I don't and try and look at things objectively. So sometimes I praise and stick up for him, but if I think he is at fault, I will post that. It seems like there are 5-6 of you who always defend Axl, no matter what the situation. And yes, there are posters out there who bash anything Axl does and refuse to admit that Slash does anything wrong.

I'm not trying to argue or be rude to you. It is great for this forum and the band to have die-hard fans! But sometimes the constant worship of Axl I'm every situation, especially when it is obvious he is at fault, gets people riled up.

Groghan, its irrelevant if you want a reunion or not. My post was about what you said, not about you. Who cares how much you listen to GN'R? Sadly I doubt you could ever move beyond the personal. Graduating from naming people "nutters" to "worshipers" isn't any progress at all- its just a substitution and shows the hypocrisy of your previous apology.

I think a reunion would be no more than a tour because nobody, not even Steven Adler, has ever suggested doing another album together. The only thing he has talked about is the huge amounts of money being offered for a tour and Marc Canter himself is also talking about giving fans joy by performing together again. Why should I assume more will be on the table when the people involved haven't said so? You are welcome to find me quotes from any of the AFD or UYI era guys talking in recent times of doing more albums together.

Its typical of you that you make a claim, then when you're asked to back it up you hide behind calling others names. Maybe, in your universe, being skeptical of Beta being some all-powerful demi-god who pulls Axl's strings like some cute little puppet translates into being a "worshipper" of Axl. In the REAL world, sensible people might be inclined to remind you that Axl is known to be so ridiculously immovable that the absolute giants in the industry like Irving Azoff had to leave in frustration. How he's supposed to be reduced to Beta's little lapdog, I cant figure out. But perhaps you can enlighten us by referring to shadowy industry people who you throw around as sources to lean your big claims on but whose names you conveniently cant produce. :)

This is about YOUR claim that Beta feeds Axl "Slash is at fault for everything" and thus gets to control his career and wont be able to do so in a reunion. It has nothing to do with claiming that Axl has never been at fault etc - so now, lets see if you can actually answer the questions I raised.

Axl never really talked to me about how lyrics came to him. However almost all the stuff he comes up with are things that he has experienced first hand and thats why right after a gig he needs some time to get his head back on because when he is singing that stuff, it brings him back to what the songs were written about. There are a lot of emotions there.

Thanks Marc. This is very insightful.

The strange thing is around 1994 to 1997, my thoughts were that he was not sure what to write about. ( just my thoughts and I remember telling Duff at that time that maybe he should try working with him incase he needed some help) There were a lot of lawsuits so that could have maybe derailed him a bit from his creative thoughts. Then Slash was on his mind for the next 15 years. That didn't help him any. It was and still is a lot of stress on him. However The lyrics on chinese democracy and the other tracks they recorded were great. So at some point he was inspired and his brain was just knocking them out.

This is even more so. Great stuff .thumbsup.gif

Marc thanks for such a detailed answer, you bring up the period after the UYI tour and before Axl's return at RIR 2001. To most of us this is the most interesting time because we heard SO little. Of all the crazy rumors we heard during those years you can cut through the bullshit. What was he up to during his dark ages? He must of been aware of all the media speculation, was it just that he was so burnt out and hurt that he needed time to heal? I ask because you referenced Axl saying that he blames Slash for taking 15 years of his life, and im sure in his mind what makes it worst is that it was his creative peak. An artist in any genre only has a small window to be at the top of his game, and for Axl those "lost years" could of produced so much more music. I would guess its that reason as much as anything else that he still harbors a massive beef.

The enigma that is Axl Rose has superceded the excitement and hype of a reunion for me. If they were going to reunite, they would have done it at the RRHOF. I for one am now 100% convinced that either Slash or Axl will drop dead before they ever utter another word to eachother, just like Axl promised us in 2008. At the time I didn't believe it, but how can anyone at this point even think that there is any possibility at all of a reunion? If you want to see Axl and Slash together again, your chances of constructing a working time machine and teleporting back to 1988 are exponentially greater than any sort of Axl/Slash bromance at any point in the future. If you are a drama whore like me, there is plenty of drama with the current incarnation of GnR to get your fix; no need to delude yourself with a reunion.

The enigma that is Axl Rose has superceded the excitement and hype of a reunion for me. If they were going to reunite, they would have done it at the RRHOF. I for one am now 100% convinced that either Slash or Axl will drop dead before they ever utter another word to eachother, just like Axl promised us in 2008. At the time I didn't believe it, but how can anyone at this point even think that there is any possibility at all of a reunion? If you want to see Axl and Slash together again, your chances of constructing a working time machine and teleporting back to 1988 are exponentially greater than any sort of Axl/Slash bromance at any point in the future. If you are a drama whore like me, there is plenty of drama with the current incarnation of GnR to get your fix; no need to delude yourself with a reunion.

Axl and Slash getting together and talking is one thing, getting together and playing music is another. No one knows, Axl or Slash, when that will be. Do they just avoid each other at public events, not go to parties if they know the other is going to be there? That's the kind of crap that has to be put behind more than trying to get a band in a room. There's exes who had a horrible breakup that get along better than this.

Axl and Slash getting together and talking is one thing, getting together and playing music is another. No one knows, Axl or Slash, when that will be. Do they just avoid each other at public events, not go to parties if they know the other is going to be there? That's the kind of crap that has to be put behind more than trying to get a band in a room. There's exes who had a horrible breakup that get along better than this.

I agree completely. I think to have Slash and Axl on speaking terms is a completely different animal than them playing together for a reunion tour. I think it would be very cool for them to be friends again, that way Axl won't have all this hatred for Slash and both would be able to move on from what happened 16 or so years ago.

I agree completely. I think to have Slash and Axl on speaking terms is a completely different animal than them playing together for a reunion tour. I think it would be very cool for them to be friends again, that way Axl won't have all this hatred for Slash and both would be able to move on from what happened 16 or so years ago.

To me, there was just a lot of built up bullshit when Slash left, and it all exploded in public. Kind of ridiculous, and Axl's never given a clear explanation of why Slash is evil.

The reunion wouldn't be more than a one off for a benefit, because they'd all want the rights back, but sometimes the offer's too good to refuse.

Yup, this is all I really ask for too. Axl being so damn bitter over the Slash situation is just depressing, I'd prefer they just bury the hatchet and be on speaking terms than reunite. I loved the Izzy and Duff guest spots for that reason, it showed they at least got on well enough to share the stage for a few songs for old times' sake.

from Axl's point of view Salsh is "evil" bcos he repeated that Axl forced him out over and over in the media for years. and this idea spread like cancer through the media and fans making it more and more difficult for Axl.

from Axl's point of view Salsh is "evil" bcos he repeated that Axl forced him out over and over in the media for years. and this idea spread like cancer through the media and fans making it more and more difficult for Axl.

I think you are onto something in your post.

it's taken me 20 years to work this out. it's pretty obvious really. From Slash's book I didn't get this cosmic connection they have, it seemed like they never spoke about anything really. It was just a whirlwind of booze and drugs then one day they couldn't really get along at all.

Do they just avoid each other at public events, not go to parties if they know the other is going to be there?

That's interesting because I've been wondering about that myself. How far do they go to avoid each other?

(then again, they are both playing a couple of the same festivals this year... which might be cutting it a little close...)

Edited by KiraMPD

Interesting what Marc said about Axl immersing himself in the songs because he went through it, but some of those songs belong to the audience... it's so far removed from their lives, that it just becomes more about putting on quality performance without being bored. "Patience" is the only one where he's not focused on it, and just checking out the crowd while he's running through it.

Marc - I don't think Axl's ever talked about it, but how hard did he take Shannon Hoon's death in 1995?

I think it was a case of don't do the crime if you can't do the time, Anyone that fucks around with that shit could die at anytime but I don't really know, he never said anything to me about it. To me it was just a waste of life, very sad.

Edited by recklessroad

Marc - I don't think Axl's ever talked about it, but how hard did he take Shannon Hoon's death in 1995?

I think it was a case of don't do the crime if you can't do the time, Anyone that fucks around with that shit could die at anytime but I don't really know, he never said anything to me about it. To me it was just a waste of life, very sad.

Do you think Shannon's death maybe led Axl to bring Paul Tobias closer to the band, as a way of having someone from Indiana around for comfort?

If you look at the traumatic things that would have affected Axl during his "dark" period:

March 1993 - Stephanie Seymour breaks off engagement with Axl

April 1994 - Kurt Cobain dies

October 1995 - Shannon Hoon dies

October 1996 - Slash leaves Guns N' Roses

May 1997 - West Arkeen dies

That's quite a trail of misery.

it's taken me 20 years to work this out. it's pretty obvious really. From Slash's book I didn't get this cosmic connection they have, it seemed like they never spoke about anything really. It was just a whirlwind of booze and drugs then one day they couldn't really get along at all.

Is it any surprise that all those who go on and on about having read Slash's book, just don't get it?

Forget anything written by Slash, Duff, Marc or anyone else.

If it ever comes out, Axl's book will be the real deal.

Cross your fingers ;)

Is it any surprise that all those who go on and on about having read Slash's book, just don't get it?

Cross your fingers ;)

The title will be the random passages of a mad man!

Cross your fingers ;)

It will be Axl's real deal, this has been done to death, I'm not sure his truth is compatible with that of Slash, Issy, Duff, Matts, Stevens or any of the other members, current or ex.... We all have our own version to events, some are black and white, but there is a huge grey area too, that is always debatable to other folk :wink:

More and more difficult for what? We have no idea what prevented Axl from coming out to defend himself or to try and set the record straight, but if it was festering and bothering him for many years, he has no one else to blame but himself (not Slash, not the media, and not the fans) for holding it in so long.