Marc Canter interview

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Frankly, I find all your exemple weak. That's me thought. If you see those exemple as something terrible that's fine. Me, I find them ridiculous. Thanks for answering anyway.

That's convenient for you but its hardly an answer. If Axl had mocked Slash in the press saying, Haha! He cheated on his wife but she cheated on him too! He had to pay 500,000 dollars for settling a domestic violence situation, I'm so bored of his personal upheavals! I doubt people would take so kindly to such statements. Infact many would be interpreting it as a sign of how black Axl's soul is for him to mock somebody's domestic troubles in such a way. I've seen people on this forum claim that Axl described Slash as a cancer deliberately to hurt Slash whose mother was suffering from cancer. This completely ignores that Axl's OWN mother also died of cancer.

As I understand, Axl and Slash had and continue to have real resentment against each other and that's understandable when you have so many legal disputes etc. What I find irritating is the hypocritical "Axl is my brother and if anybody would ever say anything bad about him, I'll defend him" type line that Slash peddles. With all due respect, James Hetfield was mocking Axl right in front of Slash in 92 and Slash was just sitting there and said nothing. Hard to believe that he'll be some knight in shining armour now that he hasnt known Axl for a decade and a half.

Depends what was said - after the riot, Slash couldn't defend Axl's actions, and I could see Hetfield seriously annoyed by Axl's diva behavior. I'm surprised it didn't turn into a brawl between them. As he said, they had to cut the set short because he was injured and GnR could've saved the day. Metallica was all about working hard and playing hard, but Hetfield doesn't have to go through all this shit to get on stage and sing. Metallica has the same crazy fans GnR do, and it was a good co-headlining idea that brought them to stadiums. But those shows are all about the money. A festival theme, where you have 20 bands on a bill and 2 stages, that's about helping "the little guy" and you being the draw. If GnR wanted to have done their own Lollapalooza at that time, they easily could have.

Now Metallica's doing their own festival in NJ. I'm sure they're going to scale down the headlining tours, and do more Big 4 & Orion Fests, just because it's a good way for them to check new bands out and not have to go the clubs to do it.

I wasnt referring to comments about the riot although even there the idea of Axl blissfully puffing away on a cigarette seems hard to believe. The St. Louis riot footage seems to show Axl looking scared and definitely not nonchalant, so it would be really strange if he'll suddenly be relaxed and chilled out during the second riot.

It wasnt just random diva behaviour that lead to Axl ending that show early. GN'R had cancelled a few shows earlier because of Axl's throat problems and the sound issues during the GN'R set just made it very difficult to continue. In hindsight though, I'm sure Axl wishes he had continued regardless of everything.

I was referring to Hetfield's backstage comments about Axl wanting cubed ham or something on his tour rider because otherwise the food wont go down his "little throat". He calls him "Axl Pose". It was just random catty stuff and I think it was said before the Montreal riot happened.

It's funny that he said "don't read our rider", and James has prob. seen Axl around enough. Axl's an all or nothing guy.

If a show isn't going to go well due to venue safety or nagging crud, Axl just cancels it. It actually helps that Beta's in charge of all that, because she isn't going to guilt trip him into going on. If he's not up to par, she's going to know how to handle it.

Festival gigs are good exposure, but it's not their audience, and it's an "out of our control" situation. I think that's why Axl's had problems playing them, but they make more in one night than they do in 10 shows, and try to get younger fans, even though a majority of people that go to GnR now are young.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, calling someone a "cancer" means what they say is spread among their friends, and people accept it as the undisputed truth.

Yes,some people do have a negative,toxic personality and an agenda to boot.

That is what the "cancer" remark alluded to.

Do these traits sound familiar?

Compulsive liars lie for many reasons, including no reason at all, but most often they lie to:

*feel admired

*gain popularity

*control and manipulate

* compensate for feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem

* cover up failures

Edited by sailaway

from another forum:

Marc another question since Beta and her family are so close to Axl has anyone tried to speak to them about getting professional help for Axl? Surely they must be aware of his nature and are concerned.

I have told Beta many times, but nothing ever gets done. She thinks it's all Slash's fault. I told her it's not about who's fault it is, it's about how to deal with it and move on

makes me sad :|

She knows if there's any reconciliation with Slash or reunion she and her family are out the door.

Seen this "theory" posted many times and it makes absolutely no sense

How would Axl doing a "reunion" or reconciling with Slash suddenly make him turn against the people who have essentially been his family for 20 years?

Did u read the Canter interview?

He gives total validity to that theory.

He tells Slash's wife that not only would she not be allowed in the studio, she wouldn't be allowed within blocks of the studio. If the old guys got together it would be THEM running the show and nobody else allowed to enter that inner circle.

Meaning Beta would have no control over what Axl was doing. She has pushed the "slash is evil and to blame for everything" crap to Axl for 20 years.

If a reunion happens her gravy train ends. If it doesn't end, she certainly loses a lot of her power and control over Axl.

And this isn't a random theory made up by some guy named Ted from Idaho. It is a theory put forth by people in the music industry. People who have spent time with beta and Axl. That holds weight.

I think Marc was talking as much about people from other camp's, causing issues with Axl, as the other way around. I don't think he was taking a shot at Beta (although I could be wrong), I mean this stuff goes helped break up both the Beatles and Spinal Tap. There are legit reasons to keep everyone's families far away from a band when they are at work.

To me, calling someone a "cancer" means what they say is spread among their friends, and people accept it as the undisputed truth.

Compulsive liars lie for many reasons, including no reason at all, but most often they lie to:

*feel admired

*gain popularity

*control and manipulate

* cover up failures

Axl called Slash a cancer because he hates him, will forerver and wants nothing but the worst for him. Axl has been pretty clear. I'm guessing he'll never say a word to him the rest of his life. I'm sure Axl regrets the day he met him.

A refresher- Axl Rose "There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty," Rose told James. "There is the distinct possibility that having his intentions in regard to me so deeply ingrained and his personal, though guarded, distaste for much of 'Appetite [For Destruction,' the band's Diamond-certified debut album] ' other than his or Duff's playing, Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

So,you have the inside scoop firsthand?

It was clearly metaphorical,slash didn't seem as offended as some of his fanboys are.

Axl called Slash a cancer because he hates him, will forerver and wants nothing but the worst for him. Axl has been pretty clear. I'm guessing he'll never say a word to him the rest of his life. I'm sure Axl regrets the day he met him.

I doubt that. Axl wouldn't be where he is without him. It does suck that things went south though

*feel admired

*gain popularity

*control and manipulate

* cover up failures

A refresher- Axl Rose "There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty," Rose told James. "There is the distinct possibility that having his intentions in regard to me so deeply ingrained and his personal, though guarded, distaste for much of 'Appetite [For Destruction,' the band's Diamond-certified debut album] ' other than his or Duff's playing, Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

So,you have the inside scoop firsthand?

It was clearly metaphorical,slash didn't seem as offended as some of his fanboys are.

Nope...no inside scoop. My only guess or whatever is "he hates him, will forerver and wants nothing but the worst for him". But does anyone here (the people who hate Slash and original GnR....any of the Nu Fans) think different?

As far as Slash not seeming ofended- "do you have inside scoop?" Truth is who knows how Slash felt, all we know is how he publicly responded.

He responded by saying "that's just Axl"

No rebuttal.

Nope...no inside scoop. My only guess or whatever is "he hates him, will forerver and wants nothing but the worst for him". But does anyone here (the people who hate Slash and original GnR....any of the Nu Fans) think different?

As far as Slash not seeming ofended- "do you have inside scoop?" Truth is who knows how Slash felt, all we know is how he publicly responded.

This is the second time you've claimed that Axl wants "nothing but the worst" for Slash. Axl said absolutely nothing of that sort- all he said was that he wants no connection with Slash. Dont distort what was said.

from another forum:

Marc another question since Beta and her family are so close to Axl has anyone tried to speak to them about getting professional help for Axl? Surely they must be aware of his nature and are concerned.

I have told Beta many times, but nothing ever gets done. She thinks it's all Slash's fault. I told her it's not about who's fault it is, it's about how to deal with it and move on

She knows if there's any reconciliation with Slash or reunion she and her family are out the door.

How would Axl doing a "reunion" or reconciling with Slash suddenly make him turn against the people who have essentially been his family for 20 years?

He tells Slash's wife that not only would she not be allowed in the studio, she wouldn't be allowed within blocks of the studio. If the old guys got together it would be THEM running the show and nobody else allowed to enter that inner circle.

Meaning Beta would have no control over what Axl was doing. She has pushed the "slash is evil and to blame for everything" crap to Axl for 20 years.

If a reunion happens her gravy train ends. If it doesn't end, she certainly loses a lot of her power and control over Axl.

And this isn't a random theory made up by some guy named Ted from Idaho. It is a theory put forth by people in the music industry. People who have spent time with beta and Axl. That holds weight.

Beta is much more important to him than Marc. SHe probably did something that others couldnt - love him, stay with hin when things went bad. Meanwhile a certain guy with a top hat badmouthed him and made him look really bad to others just to look cool.

*feel admired

*gain popularity

*control and manipulate

* cover up failures

To me, anything Slash had to say about Axl was written in the book.

Axl's talking in hindsight, because at the time, they talked glowingly about each other.

This is the second time you've claimed that Axl wants "nothing but the worst" for Slash. Axl said absolutely nothing of that sort- all he said was that he wants no connection with Slash. Dont distort what was said.

They love to twist words in order to prove a point that was flawed from day one.

How would anybody be able to kick Beta and her kids out of Axl's inner circle no matter what the circumstances? A reunion would probably be no more than a tour at most and Beta could still serve as Axl's personal assistant- nobody could interfere with that. The idea of a reunion is sometimes romantically confused with rescuing Axl from an entire lifestyle and connections that, people forget, he has chosen for himself.

How do you know that Beta has massive control over what Axl does, business-wise? From what I remember, the only evidence that we have of a pushy move was her giving an ultimatum that she and her children become Axl's official management team after repeated bad experiences with managers angling for a reunion. I have my concerns about how effective Beta could be in the Manager position since getting the next album out is likely to require ironing out things with the record company and GN'R would benefit from an experienced and powerful player in its corner for this purpose. However, Marc Canter himself has said that its a more economic move to put Beta/Fernando/Vanessa in charge since they run day to day GN'R affairs anyway.

How do you know that its Beta who has pushed the "Slash is to blame for everything" stuff onto Axl? Perhaps she's just looking at things from Axl's perspective just like Perla or somebody else in Slash's family is likely to see things from his. Have you considered the option that Beta believes that Axl's view of things is genuine and happens to share it?

People from the industry? Could you please name these people? I remember reading in the Rolling Stone article from 2000 that Beta "mothers" Axl and fusses over himbut there were no dark insinuations about her manipulating Axl or controlling his professional career.

I remember reading in the Rolling Stone article from 2000 that Beta "mothers" Axl and fusses over himbut there were no dark insinuations about her manipulating Axl or controlling his professional career.

So, in that awesome youtube clip in which Axl swings at the paparazzo with his right (or was it left?) hook, you can actually hear him yell that the man pushed his 'mother'.

Whatever anyone feels about Axl, Slash, the possibility of a reunion, whether life on earth came from Mars etc...it just can't be ignored that this is what the man feels about Beta and her place in his life. For all intents and purposes, Beta is family.

This must be obvious to even the very dumbest people crying out for a reunion.

Yet, it is just so ridiculous that many of them still want Axl to push her out of his life, so that their wildest fantasies may be fulfilled.

Sweet.

A refresher- Axl Rose "There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty," Rose told James.

Someone should get them both on Jerry Springer! :lol: I'd like to see that! :lol:

W/o the big hulking security guard thumbsup.gif

I don't know how Slash moves, but Axl is fast and he's got a knockout punch.

i like that Marc said that to Perla. Its the same way in my family. we have some successful people and then some people who think they should advise those successful people despite having nothing to offer. i.e. Perla, Beta, and fagnardo

from another forum:

Beta is much more important to him than Marc. SHe probably did something that others couldnt - love him, stay with hin when things went bad. Meanwhile a certain guy with a top hat badmouthed him and made him look really bad to others just to look cool.

So in your opinion (based on personal experience with the band, or with Slash?), Slash has badmouthed Axl just to "look cool?" And, who is he trying to look "cool" for?

So conversely, when Axl badmouths Slash, is it just to try and look "cool" as well?

Guest gunns5

Marc, thanks for your insights once again,

did you manage to hear any songs from the cd era, that weren't released? if so, do you remember anything about them?

Edited by gunns5

Marc, thanks for your insights once again,

did you manage to hear any songs from the cd era, that weren't released? if so, do you remember anything about them?

I don't remember what I heard. I just remember it was great and it was also great to hear Axl sounding so good.

Marc thanks so much it's so rare we get to see the curtain pulled back even a little bit your insights can't be over looked. Thanks for taking the time with the interview and the book, it means a lot to the hardcore fans. The point you make about Axl having a problem with Slash but not Duff even though Duff tells the same story about signing over the band is something I also find strange. Have you been around Axl while he does any of his writing? Is it generally a private process for him? Zack Wylde talked about how Axl told him it was hard to come up with lyrics when everyone was suing him and was spending all his time in court. Has Axl ever expressed to you how his creativity was stifled during this time?

Marc thanks so much it's so rare we get to see the curtain pulled back even a little bit your insights can't be over looked. Thanks for taking the time with the interview and the book, it means a lot to the hardcore fans. The point you make about Axl having a problem with Slash but not Duff even though Duff tells the same story about signing over the band is something I also find strange. Have you been around Axl while he does any of his writing? Is it generally a private process for him? Zack Wylde talked about how Axl told him it was hard to come up with lyrics when everyone was suing him and was spending all his time in court. Has Axl ever expressed to you how his creativity was stifled during this time?

I do it for the fans because I know what it's like as a fan to get stuff like this. Having finished my book in 1994 after working on it 5 hours a day for 15 months and spending every penny I had to make the first draft and not being able to get it out till 2007 was 13 long years. Now I can die in peace knowing that my work is out there for the people to enjoy.

Axl never really talked to me about how lyrics came to him. However almost all the stuff he comes up with are things that he has experienced first hand and thats why right after a gig he needs some time to get his head back on because when he is singing that stuff, it brings him back to what the songs were written about. There are a lot of emotions there. The strange thing is around 1994 to 1997, my thoughts were that he was not sure what to write about. ( just my thoughts and I remember telling Duff at that time that maybe he should try working with him incase he needed some help) There were a lot of lawsuits so that could have maybe derailed him a bit from his creative thoughts. Then Slash was on his mind for the next 15 years. That didn't help him any. It was and still is a lot of stress on him. However The lyrics on chinese democracy and the other tracks they recorded were great. So at some point he was inspired and his brain was just knocking them out.

I do it for the fans because I know what it's like as a fan to get stuff like this. Having finished my book in 1994 after working on it 5 hours a day for 15 months and spending every penny I had to make the first draft and not being able to get it out till 2007 was 13 long years. Now I can die in peace knowing that my work is out there for the people to enjoy.

Axl never really talked to me about how lyrics came to him. However almost all the stuff he comes up with are things that he has experienced first hand and thats why right after a gig he needs some time to get his head back on because when he is singing that stuff, it brings him back to what the songs were written about. There are a lot of emotions there. The strange thing is around 1994 to 1997, my thoughts were that he was not sure what to write about. ( just my thoughts and I remember telling Duff at that time that maybe he should try working with him incase he needed some help) There were a lot of lawsuits so that could have maybe derailed him a bit from his creative thoughts. Then Slash was on his mind for the next 15 years. That didn't help him any. It was and still is a lot of stress on him. However The lyrics on chinese democracy and the other tracks they recorded were great. So at some point he was inspired and his brain was just knocking them out.

I love my stack of reckless roads

A refresher- Axl Rose "There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty," Rose told James.

Someone should get them both on Jerry Springer! :lol: I'd like to see that! :lol:

Ha! Springer is the epitome of trash of all colors airing their laundry on public television.

Not that hard to read between the lines. Axl- "Slash should not have been in Guns to begin with....A cancer...better removed....less heard from the better".   I don't think it's a stretch when I go out on a limb guessing that Axl wishes nothing but worst for Slash and probably regrets ever knowing him.

Please provide a source of the statement claiming that "Axl wants nothing but the worst for slash" It is erroneous comments like this that get recirculated and some hack journalist picks up on it and claims it to be the truth.

Nobody is denying animosity exists on both sides.