Is it safe to say that CD II is back on after reading Richard's interview?

ITW 2012

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't tell us we are getting an album this fall due to the nature of GNR "planning".

However, he did say that they have been recording an working on stuff before the 2011 tour, which I was unsure if they were making progress toward a new record , and know we know that they are which is great news IMO. Also, not what I was expecting.

I don't think there is any more material.CD1 was all there was.

no CD2 or whatever.

no soul monster...

it's all part of the myth.the myth of Chinese democracy.

and a new so called GNR album would NEVER be announced like that,

just mentioned in the middle of a sentence really casually.from some dude named fortus..

fortus who?

Axls slaves are just so spineless.

God stop fucking calling it that!

Fuck actually getting new music.

I just wish hed give us some kind of CD title so everybody would stop being retarded assuming he would actually have the audacity to call his next album CD2. That would be fucking stupid.

It is referred to that because it is the second disc from the Chinese Democracy Sessions.

CD2 = Chinese Democracy Sessions 2

No one believes that the album will be called that. I would like people to quit calling the health care laws "ObamaCare" but that's not going to happen either.

The problem is that he says there is more recording to do after the Summer tour which gives me no hope whatsoever. It reminds me of Merk's letter where he refers to booking studio time again and again but "the muse never came".

Edited by jellyzero

I actually suspected they would try to aim for a 2012 release date. Why would they have Going Down in the setlist back in 2011 if they didn't plan anything regarding new music?

Let's not forget also that Bumblefoot confirmed in a gnr.com chat that Going Down is a Chinese-era track. Of course it doesen't mean they will release for sure anything by the end of the year, but I can see that they actually are slowly moving towards a new release.

I actually suspected they would try to aim for a 2012 release date. Why would they have Going Down in the setlist back in 2011 if they didn't plan anything regarding new music?

Let's not forget also that Bumblefoot confirmed in a gnr.com chat that Going Down is a Chinese-era track. Of course it doesen't mean they will release for sure anything by the end of the year, but I can see that they actually are slowly moving towards a new release.

Good point.

I think it's probably safe to say that the album will consist mainly of 'Chinese' era tracks. I definitely don't see more than 1 or 2 brand new songs making it onto the album if they are, in fact, aiming for a fall 2012 release - if any.

whats this "going down" track your on about Voodoo Child??

It was shown in a photo of a setlist last year.

Ahhh ok :) to be honest i hope the play some new stuff on this tour... going to the Nottingham gig hopefully :) my first concert too!

Is it safe to say that CD II is back on after reading Richard's interview? I for one am psyched. It's going to be amazing to hear a new album that we haven't been listening to (half of it anyway) for years in advance.

Back on?

I would say in the word of GnR no one knows whats gong to happen even 4tus. Honestly I think it was a bit premature/ unprofessional for him to say what he said. A new album by GNR is huge news and deserves to be properly announced not as an afterthought in a interview. Comments like this is what caused the backlash with CD, when the ablum is ready announce it, until then dont say anything. Not saying he shouldnt say they arent working on new music or anything. just my opinion because all this did was get a lot of people excited and if it doesnt come out as planned the press will spin it in a bad way.

Are you serious? Unproffesional for a member of a band to give his thoughts on HIS band's plans for the next year?

And I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't 1993. While CD is one of my favorite albums of all time, GnR's next release isn't going to be the music news of the decade.

And the press isn't going to "spin" anything in a specific way. The entire music media doesn't have a vendetta against Axl and GnR.

The press didn't "spin" anything about the release of CD. Axl talked about the album for a decade. Axl went though 387 producers, firing them all. It was reportedly one of - if not the- most expensive albums ever made. That is what the press reported on - they weren't picking on Axl. They were reporting the truth.

I get tired of fans blaming everything on everybody else except who deserves the blame. It's insane.

People complain when band members don't talk to the media.........now they do talk, and people complain about what they say. Axl is a God because he speaks his mind - but Richard should STFU for speaking his mind.

BACK ON TOPIC.

We all know that Axl will do whatever he wants - regardless of what the fans would like, what would be best for GnR as a band, and what would make the most sense. So on one hand, I would say that it is GREAT news to hear Richard talking about putting out the next album. But, I won't get too excited, because you never know what Axl does.

A new album in 2012 would be AMAZING!!!!!!!! Forget the $16, I would pay $100 today for that album.

Relax there man... My only point was it was a half hearted comment about the release of an album... I never said it would be the release of the decade but Im sorry a major label release from a band that has sold over 100-million records does not need false expectation especially with what happened with Chin Dem... I also its what "started" the backlash not the entire cause! Read my post i even said its ok to talk about what he/ GnR is doing but dont give false expectations. Lets be honest all current members of GnR have no idea what is going to happen next (besides Axl, if he even knows) so why say it? That was my only point.4tus's comments were like "oh we are going to tour and record oh and hope to release an album in the fall" Yet every other GnR member has expressed a desire to record but have said no new recording has happened. Even Ashba said with the constant touring it hasnt happened, i almost feel 4tuse misspoke or was misquoted.

I thought GNR owed Universal 2 more records?

Duff wrote in the book GNR had a 6 album deal - you don't count live and greatest hits because they were obligated to put those out. TSI? might have been put out so they only had one album left to go, who knows if they were even thinking of that in '93-'94 though.

Axl also mentioned it in LA Times, but I don't think he's going to work hard at approaching record companies with new music. He mentioned it in a paper record labels read, Beta's prob. put some feelers out, and some companies have contacted them, but prob. indie labels, he's burnt bridges or scared just about every major label head anyway.

We don't know if he has people from other labels that he's good friends with, because some of them are also recording artists. I just think as the change in how music's distributed and the ways it gets paid for, Axl's going to have to figure out where GnR fits in with that. The old regime isn't going away, but you do see the majors either relying on back catalog, or going back to taking their risks on new artists but they have to spend their own money on the songs. It's only someone like Cowell or Fuller that has a TV show and can put that advance money out with no problem.

And what gets someone noticed when they want attention? A reality show. I think the most Axl will give a TV show is a "week in the life of GnR" documentary.

You never know with celebs - Bob Dylan showed up on Pawn Stars, but that just means he was a big fan of the show. He's got a good voice for narrating a documentary, or even doing a cartoon voice under a pseudonym. He knows he doesn't always have to sing to make money. He could go on a tour just talking for 2 hours a night. I just think that he likes the mystique of a rock star and people wondering what he's up to. He doesn't have to BE a rock star 24/7 and can take that off when he's home, but as a creative artist, he prob. has a hard time turning it off.

But could you imagine Axl and Slash on Celebrity Apprentice?

The one thing i'm curious about in regards to the label is: GnR's back catalog still sells quite well, if GnR were to move labels does the back catalog move with them? Say Axl left Universal and went to Warner Brothers. The back catalog is where all the $$ is right now and that is a huge bargaining tool for Axl/ GnR. But being that the band is not the old guys one can see how convoluted this whole things can get, no matter what Axl does he will always have to rely on the past to move forward with the future.

The one thing i'm curious about in regards to the label is: GnR's back catalog still sells quite well, if GnR were to move labels does the back catalog move with them? Say Axl left Universal and went to Warner Brothers. The back catalog is where all the $$ is right now and that is a huge bargaining tool for Axl/ GnR. But being that the band is not the old guys one can see how convoluted this whole things can get, no matter what Axl does he will always have to rely on the past to move forward with the future.

My guess would be (and I could be wrong) that the back catalog would stay with Geffen/Universal. I notice when other bands have changed labels, the back catalog stays put (i.e. Van Halen, Alice In Chains, Korn, Megadeth). As a matter of fact, the only 1 I can think of right off the top of my head who was able to get the rights to their entire back catalog is Nikki Sixx in regards to Motley Crue. There have probably been others, but it's pretty rare.

Goin' Down is an old blues song, probably a cover??

Bumblefoot: "Going Down is Chi Dem era, kinda earthy, but let Axwell talk about it when he's ready" [March 27, 2012].

So it's actually a new song, I'm excited. This is the first new title we've heard for a while. We must have been close to getting something new before they played Estranged.