This day 6 years ago

iftheworld

This day 6 years ago, we were watch Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal performed with Guns for the first time. Here we are in Moscow 6 years later and although he's battered and beaten, he continues to play for his fans. Let's give it up for a true rockstar! Here's hoping for 6 more awesome years!

Edited by iftheworld

My favourite member of the band by a long shot. Deserves every bit of praise he gets. Thanks for a great 6 years, for making your mark with the fans, for being a strong presence within the band, for not tolerating any bullshit, for your incredible guitar playing, for being a voice of sanity in the midst of one of the craziest fanbases in the world... the list goes on.

What a guy.

I don't really like Ron with GNR, I know he's a great guy and all but sometimes I think he's TOO nice for a band like GNR. That Stormtrooper helmet thing in RiR is a great example. Dude, just play the guitar.

His guitar tone is also something I don't like and the fretless guitar may sound good in his solo stuff, but doesn't really fit the sound of GNR (just to remind you, I'm not a Slash fan and I hate blues).

Well, better him than nobody. Richard is the only guitarist in the current line-up who is good to hear and to see. Buckethead and Robin Finck were the best options for Axl and it's a shame he lost them.

Kudos to Ron for sticking around for so much time without any music created by him being released.

When I watch those jams by Robin and Richard (Beautiful, Endless Rain, etc) I wonder how cool GnR would look with only those two guitar players.

I don't really like Ron with GNR, I know he's a great guy and all but sometimes I think he's TOO nice for a band like GNR. That Stormtrooper helmet thing in RiR is a great example. Dude, just play the guitar.

His guitar tone is also something I don't like and the fretless guitar may sound good in his solo stuff, but doesn't really fit the sound of GNR (just to remind you, I'm not a Slash fan and I hate blues).

Well, better him than nobody. Richard is the only guitarist in the current line-up who is good to hear and to see. Buckethead and Robin Finck were the best options for Axl and it's a shame he lost them.

Kudos to Ron for sticking around for so much time without any music created by him being released.

When I watch those jams by Robin and Richard (Beautiful, Endless Rain, etc) I wonder how cool GnR would look with only those two guitar players.

I loved it when they did Endless Rain

but yeah, thanks for everything, Ron! Youre the freaking best!

Please don't misinterpret this, but I hope that Ron is able to use his back pain as an inspirational focal point for his creative energies. Or something like that. You know what I mean.

I can imagine some darker and more metal tones in the future.

You hate blues? You have no business listening to any rock music then. It's all blues.

Not to diss (and in no way is this his fault), but he hasn't exactly done much in 6 years. Just an honest observation

LA

Not done much in his solo projects or producing? GnR gives him the ability to work on whatever he wants, but if and when the time comes for Axl to look for input he's going to have to have his A-game on.

To me, the future of GnR isn't about trying to reinvent its sound, it's about taking what they have, between old material and material yet to be written, and come up with something . To me, throwing Izzy and Duff into that mix, maybe for one or two songs, and deciding on which 15 songs to put out.... but if he does it the way Radiohead did Kid A and Amnesiac, putting them both out almost a year apart, the fans get a lot of new material, a lot of old songs get cut from the setlist, and would probably get a lot of great reviews and positive feedback. It's fine if AFD and Illusions is dead and buried, but getting some of the sound back and throwing it into the band now?

Worst thing that would happen is they get in the studio for a few weeks and nothing happens. Could be really interesting. And if it sucks, at least they gave it a try.