the new "war"?

stumbleine

A rarely considered point of view, however, is that if Axl didnt keep the Gnr name and tour throughout the 00s and put out an album, GNR probably wouldnt have even been nominated.

I disagree. I think GNR were inducted in spite of the tarnished legacy of the last decade. AFD is what got them in, the UYI followups helped seal the deal. Most of what came after that doesn't really factor in.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rarely considered point of view, however, is that if Axl didnt keep the Gnr name and tour throughout the 00s and put out an album, GNR probably wouldnt have even been nominated.

I disagree. I think GNR were inducted in spite of the tarnished legacy of the last decade. AFD is what got them in, the UYI followups helped seal the deal. Most of what came after that doesn't really factor in.

I agree with this.

Listening to AFD, everyone really was equally important. You can't just put Axl and Izzy up on a pedestal. I was trying to figure out why I adore the instrumental sections of AFD, and I figured out it's because it's so dang groovy. Everything is so stylish. And you can't just chalk that up to Axl and Izzy. Slash, Duff, and especially Steven played key roles in that groove, y'know?

Rush are soooo boring.

:shocked: How can Rush bore anybody? If I was told Xanadu was the only song I could listen to for the rest of my life, I'd be perfectly content.

It's common knowledge that all five bandmembers were involved in the songwriting process back in the day, it was a true team effort.

I'm often criticized for seeming condescending, so I will try to be as polite as possible.

I'm afraid you are mistaken about all five band members being involved in songwriting back in the day. That simply is not true. Steven was not involved in songwriting.

Now, with that said, while Axl & Izzy were the primary songwriters, Slash and Duff still made VERY important contributions in terms of songwriting, not to mention the fact that Slash's incredible lead playing played a huge role in the success of the band.

I agree that most songs are more than just lyrics, but in addition to Axl and Izzy writing most of the lyrics, they also wrote most of the music (Izzy more so than Axl in this regard).

Before I get flamed, let me be very clear. I said MOST, not ALL.

It was a true team effort between Axl, Izzy, Slash and Duff. I'm not disputing that at all. I'm simply pointing out that Axl and Izzy were the team leaders and primary writers. That's not to say they would have been successful without Slash or Duff (who not only made key songwriting contributions, but also contributed great instrumentation).

I hope you will not take it personally that I've chosen to correct the misconception that you posted. You seem like a fine gentleman.

Thanks for the compliment. Not to worry, I don't take things personally. I welcome all opinions and viewpoints, even if they contradict my own.

All I can say about the songwriting is that I've heard from many sources over the past couple decades that each bandmember contributed to the songwriting during those early years. It's plastered all over the internet as such, but more importantly I've heard it directly from the bandmembers (ie: starting at 10:30 of the below Slash interview) which is good enough confirmation for me. I can't think of any reason why bandmembers would lie about it.

There is only one WAR - W.Axl Rose.

There is only one GN'R - Axl's band - past, present or future.

All else is fake.

lolno

The world consider this band "fakegnr"

GNR: it's the classical lineup: Axl, Slash ,Izzy, Duff and Steven

I'm curious what would you do or come to this forum if Axl hasn't got the brandname

you definitely should read Marc Canter's book...

For lolcano:

The same old Tracci Guns is GNR argument which is laughable.

That lineup will never ever break through from the strip...

VR, nugnr or just a nice HOF band. But non of them I consider GNR, but I enjoy all of them.

THIS

Edited by Crash Diet

HOFband was inducted as "Guns N Roses"

Were they really? I thought the band was inducted based on past accomplishments and to accept the award they invited guys that were part of the band at that time. I never saw the induction so I could be wrong, though.

As for why a band member would exaggerate their importance in one particular area, why does anybody exaggerate their importance in life?

Yes but it wasn't Steven that was saying he participated in the songwriting, it was other bandmembers saying that all five members (including Steven) participated. What would Slash have to gain by giving credit to all the other bandmembers (including Steven), and what motive would he have to lie about it? When Howard said to him "Didn't you write most of the music", Slash said "No, no, no ... as a songwriting team we really did it together" Why would Slash refuse to accept credit, and instead pass it along to all the others, if it were not true?

Really though the subject of Steven's involvement is not that important to me. Getting back to the original topic, it is still my belief that Axl and Izzy wrote most of the lyrics for the early albums but the music writing was shared by all the other members as well.

As for why a band member would exaggerate their importance in one particular area, why does anybody exaggerate their importance in life?

Yes but it wasn't Steven that was saying he participated in the songwriting, it was other bandmembers saying that all five members (including Steven) participated. What would Slash have to gain by giving credit to all the other bandmembers (including Steven), and what motive would he have to lie about it? When Howard said to him "Didn't you write most of the music", Slash said "No, no, no ... as a songwriting team we really did it together" Why would Slash refuse to accept credit, and instead pass it along to all the others, if it were not true?

Really though the subject of Steven's involvement is not that important to me. Getting back to the original topic, it is still my belief that Axl and Izzy wrote most of the lyrics for the early albums but the music writing was shared by all the other members as well.

Slash could have passed on the credit because it helps the idea that they were all in it together against a common enemy. It makes it seem less fractured as a group bar one and also gives weight to the idea that everybody was happy and Axl fucked it up.

Or

It could just mean they all chipped in with writing :lol:

HOFband was inducted as "Guns N Roses"

Were they really? I thought the band was inducted based on past accomplishments and to accept the award they invited guys that were part of the band at that time. I never saw the induction so I could be wrong, though.

yes,they really were.GNR:all members 198? till Axl forced the last person out of the band.you know what I mean.

Edited by stumbleine

I know how important Izzy and Axl are to Gn'R. But Slash, Duff, Steven, Matt and Gilby felt more Gn'R than the new band (or just Izzy and Axl). And I LOOOVE the new line-up. But you can't deny the old guys.

Well in the late 90s many claimed Gnr had been wiped off the map. How did Gnr re-emerge into the public consciousness? Chinese Democracy. Axl kept the ball rolling which otherwise wouldve stopped 15 years ago. The HOF, the Slash purists, Steven, Duff all automatically assume that the name of the band, GUNS N ROSES, means absolutely nothing. All they want is to push people into a reunion sleaze-fest and to hell with Guns n Roses in 2012 and what the band has gone through for 15 years. I say that's fucked up.

Edited by Eu4ic

Well in the late 90s many claimed Gnr had been wiped off the map. How did Gnr re-emerge into the public consciousness? Chinese Democracy. Axl kept the ball rolling which otherwise wouldve stopped 15 years ago. The HOF, the Slash purists, Steven, Duff all automatically assume that the name of the band, GUNS N ROSES, means absolutely nothing. All they want is to push people into a reunion sleaze-fest and to hell with Guns n Roses in 2012. That's disgraceful, I say.

Agreed 100%. I was laughed at and ridiculed in the mid 90s for being a GNR fan.

What-ever way you look at it, the GN'R music from the past pisses over the GN'R music from the present.

Quit trying to pass your opinion off as fact.

To me it is fact :D

Maybe the facts are in the figures. It would be interesting to know on each given day, radio airplay of songs from AFD and songs from CD.

I bet Slash n'boys are doing fine from their creations being performed on the radio. I doubt Axl's pulling in too much from CD's radio airplay.

Edited by vaida

What-ever way you look at it, the GN'R music from the past pisses over the GN'R music from the present.

Maybe the facts are in the figures. It would be interesting to know on each given day, radio air play of songs from AFD and songs from CD.

I bet Slash n'boys are doing fine from their creations being performed on the radio. I doubt Axl's pulling in too much from CD's radio play.

So we're changing this to a sales discussion? Ok, it is fact that the classic lineup outsold CD. No argument from me there.

Maybe the facts are in the figures. It would be interesting to know on each given day, radio airplay of songs from AFD and songs from CD.

I bet Slash n'boys are doing fine from their creations being performed on the radio. I doubt Axl's pulling in too much from CD's radio airplay.

Stop trying so hard to discredit the band...you're sounding silly. Airplay means fuck all and you know that. There is tons of music that is great that nobody has heard off.

If we go by airplay then Justin Beiber should be all our favorite artist :rolleyes:

why does everything have to be a fucking war? or this side vs that side or axl vs slash. axl is still in gnr the rest are not and have nothing to do with current guns n roses. it was awesome seeing duff and izzy on stage with gnr again but they are not in the band . the HOF lineup of velvet revolver with myles kennedy singing is not gnr as well. so this thread is kind of retarded (no offense to retarded people)

Edited by bran

why does everything have to be a fucking war? or this side vs that side or axl vs slash. axl is still in gnr the rest are not and have nothing to do with current guns n roses. it was awesome seeing duff and izzy on stage with gnr again but they are not in the band . the HOF lineup of velvet revolver with myles kennedy singing is not gnr as well. so this thread is kind of retarded (no offense to retarded people)

well,bran,I suggest you read my opening post.I call out for peace.iftheworld and popcorn and some other dudes created threads that claimed Axl and Izzy=GNR.

well,bran,I suggest you read my opening post.I call out for peace.iftheworld and popcorn and some other dudes created threads that claimed Axl and Izzy=GNR.

read your first post, this is basically what it was going to turn into it was a hanging curveball especially when you threw in that "HOF band was inducted as guns n roses" you were just inviting what has happend to happen

Edited by bran