Metallica- Load

Vincent Vega

Anyone feel that Load is actually an underrated, good album? I think for one it showed that Metallica could do more musically than sludge metal, it has great songs in and of itself, and it's something different instead of the same Thrash Metal stuff over and over...Load and ReLoad are probably the last time Metallica really tried and challenged themselves musically rather than just trying to rehash the '80s sound.

Load and ReLoad are full of fillers but the songs they really put effort into; Fuel, Memory Remains, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing, Hero Of The Day, The Unforgiven II, Bad Seed, Ain't My Bitch, etc... is, IMO, how Metallica should sound like today. I think they sound way more badass than they do with Thrash Metal. Playing fast and singing about death doesn't make you look cool... it's corny. Especially when you're in your 50's.

It took me a while, but I think I'm finally starting to dig the 90's incarnation of the big four. I guess that was to be expected after hearing their 80's stuff so much, I really needed to listen to something "new". Of course, Ride The Lightning is still the best. I think that Reload is pretty good, actually.

Load has Outlaw Torn, which is a great song, it took a while to grow on me, but now I think it has a great out solo. Really beautiful.

Edited by Chewbacca

Load & Reload are both great rock albums. But not metal albums.

Metallica is a metal band at the beginning.

I have no problem with the loads, but didn't consider them Metal albums.

St.Anger is the shittiest 'tallica album ever, so i prefer the loads any day than Anger.

Edited by Crash Diet

St.Anger is the shittiest 'tallica album ever, so i prefer the loads any day than Anger.

I think Lulu is worse than St. Anger, TBH.

I don't even consider Lulu a Metallica album. It's more like a side project or something. It's literally impossible to listen to. It's probably the worst album I've even heard from a band I like. By far.

they were appropriately titled

Yes.

It all went down hill when James started to sing instead of yelling in key. He did well on couple Black Album songs singing but by Load he sounding like a country singer and as such I think they had to change their tone to fit his post vocal chord blowout voice.

It's all about tone. After Black Album their tone took a turn for the worst. Not a critisicm of the songs themselves but the tone of the instruments. Bleeding Me is still cool, though.

I don't even consider Lulu a Metallica album. It's more like a side project or something. It's literally impossible to listen to. It's probably the worst album I've even heard from a band I like. By far.

this

Yes.

It all went down hill when James started to sing instead of yelling in key. He did well on couple Black Album songs singing but by Load he sounding like a country singer and as such I think they had to change their tone to fit his post vocal chord blowout voice.

It's all about tone. After Black Album their tone took a turn for the worst. Not a critisicm of the songs themselves but the tone of the instruments. Bleeding Me is still cool, though.

I really think James's voice pre-black album is quite annoying. Especially in Kill 'Em All. I think he sounded amazing in the 90's, especially in Garage Inc.

I think both albums are really great, and yes, Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me are fucking epic killer songs. Might I also ad Fixxxer to that list? Sure, Load is better than Reload, but Fixxxer, Attitude, Fuel and the Memory Remains are great. There's a really nice solo on Memory Remains. Laslty, I think Poor Twisted Me sounds unbelievable. I would love to hear a heavy metal blues album in that vein.

Yes.

I really think James's voice pre-black album is quite annoying. Especially in Kill 'Em All. I think he sounded amazing in the 90's, especially in Garage Inc.

Kill em All his voice is pretty bad. Its like listening to the pimply teenager from the Simpsons sing Metallica.

EDIT: Same with RTLs title track. Great tune, don't get me wrong.

Edited by Johnny Drama

Yes.

bob rock fucked up james vocals just like he fucked up metallicas sound. i agree 100% he just started to sing like some country guy over half assed southern rock songs the band admits this on some kind of monster that they could basically take shit songs and whip them into "something that resembles metallica"

i mean what kind of thought process goes into putting out a shit album and then deciding to release another album where the songs were deemed not good enough to go on the shit album? :scared:

i agree with bleeding me its a good song and i think the outlaw torn is solid other than that the rest of the albums are made up of horrible vocals, with crap riffs, mediocre drumming and really bad lyrics

Death Magnetic had some really cool songs in my opinion.

Sort of like Chinese Democracy, though, there were problems with every song even the best ones.

We should one of those pointless "combine the two albums into one" threads for Load/Reload. Everyone likes those! (not even being sarcastic, forum nerds/music nerds love listing things amirite?)

I see that people like 80s Metallica (and so do I), but there is no way that I would've wanted them to keep going that way.

I think there are bands that took their core metal sound and introduced some new ideas and made it sound really good (i.e. Testament), but I don't think Metallica could've gone that same route with their music. I just think Load sounds really fresh and unforced. I appreciate that more than trying to keep sounding metal just for the sake of sounding metal.

Edited by Zeppelin

Death Magnetic had some really cool songs in my opinion.

Sort of like Chinese Democracy, though, there were problems with every song even the best ones.

We should one of those pointless "combine the two albums into one" threads for Load/Reload. Everyone likes those! (not even being sarcastic, forum nerds/music nerds love listing things amirite?)

That'd be a good thread. If Load and ReLoad were a single album, it'd probably be Metallica's best along with Ride The Lightning.