The first night of the UCAP tour...

The first gig of the UCAP tour saw Welcome to the Jungle open for the first time since 2007. Immediately after the first gig, the setlist returned to its usual self. What was the reason behind this? Was the UCAP tour meant to be the start of something new, that Axl then changed his mind? We know Oh My God is back on the setlist, and Goin' Down is on the setlist too (which is almost all but confirmed to be a new song)- was opening with Welcome to the Jungle meant to indicate a movement away from the Chinese Democracy tours? Why was it like that for only one night? It's a bit of a strange one considering the bands choice to not change up the setlist too much- Chinese Democracy has been a staple in the setlist, and opener, for 4 or so years now. It's not like accidentally missing out Civil War or something, it's pretty hard to forget that you generally open with it. So what was the motivation behind this move and why didn't it last?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the show. Jungle isn't a good opener. CD is much better.

Jungle is pretty much the best opener any band in the world could ever wish for! CD is a great steaming turd of a song that should still be locked in Axl's vaults never mind on the set list at all!

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

WTTJ should open the show.

CD as an opener is such a let down.

I really have to disagree with this. I think CD is a great way to kick things off. From the slow build up to the end. Badass.

It starts off good but then the reality sets in - no one knows the song! Most of the crowd stop cheering and just stand there staring. That doesn't happen with Jungle. The whole place erupts for that one. When GN'R first comes out on stage you want to be blown away.

They could play CD as the first encore song.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

Guest Broskirose

I was at the show. Jungle isn't a good opener. CD is much better.

Jungle is pretty much the best opener any band in the world could ever wish for! CD is a great steaming turd of a song that should still be locked in Axl's vaults never mind on the set list at all!

I've seen both Jungle and CD open GNR shows. CD is much better. Jungle is cool if you're 12 and just heard it on guitar hero for the first time.

CD has the epic intro, the deformed baby screens fading in and out under dimmed red lights, the pyro, the overall atmosphere.

Edited by Broskirose

I gotta agree with broski, i love the guitars in CD, and then the pyro leading into axl singing, it's great live experience

It's brilliant in the build-up, the opening riff and the ending. The rest is just dull, unremarkable and unmemorable. It's like SLAA said, it gets people really pumped until the pyro goes off then nothing. 99% of the crowd just don't know it and don't care and as much as I'm cool with playing the newer songs it's a really poor choice to start the show with. I was sitting with a good view of the arena in the O2 and people just nodded through most of it then went crazy for Jungle. One's a stone cold classic and the other .......well.......isn't. :shrugs: One welcomes you quite literally to the jungle whereas the other is just some twaddle about falling dongs and wanking. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dazey

Guest Broskirose

I don't go to a show to see other people enjoy it. I go for me. Couldn't care if more people get excited for popular shit. Might as well say having Justin Beiber sing instead of Axl is a better idea because he's more popular.

Edited by Broskirose

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I gotta agree with broski, i love the guitars in CD, and then the pyro leading into axl singing, it's great live experience

It's brilliant in the build-up, the opening riff and the ending. The rest is just dull, unremarkable and unmemorable. It's like SLAA said, it gets people really pumped until the pyro goes off then nothing. 99% of the crowd just don't know it and don't care and as much as I'm cool with playing the newer songs it's a really poor choice to start the show with. I was sitting with a good view of the arena in the O2 and people just nodded through most of it then went crazy for Jungle. One's a stone cold classic and the other .......well.......isn't. :shrugs: One welcomes you quite literally to the jungle whereas the other is just some twaddle about falling dongs and wanking. :rolleyes:

Yes and I actually like CD as a song but like you said, WTTJ is a song any band would love to have as an opener. It's perfect.

Dazey I feel like we're the only sane ones here.

Hold me :scared:

I don't go to a show to see other people enjoy it. I go for me. Couldn't care if more people get excited for popular shit. Might as well say having Justin Beiber sing instead of Axl is a better idea because he's more popular.

Absolute worst analogy ever there Blowski but keep it up! The only way that would hold any water would be if for some reason 99% of the audience were Beiber fans. ;)

Guest Broskirose

Absolute worst analogy ever there Blowski but keep it up! The only way that would hold any water would be if for some reason 99% of the audience were Beiber fans. ;)

If they go apeshit for a mediocre song like Jungle they might as well be.

Yes and I actually like CD as a song but like you said, WTTJ is a song any band would love to have as an opener. It's perfect.

Dazey I feel like we're the only sane ones here.

Hold me :scared:

All I can say is compare from about 00:50 onwards where you can see the crowd in the first vid to about 00:53 onwards in the second. Irrespective of your preference of song I think it's pretty much case closed as to what makes the best opener as far as the crowd are concerned.

Edited by Dazey

No doubt Jungle gets everyone pumped, it's the quintessential guns song - but it's 2012 and most of us here are still waiting for Axl to bring his vision or round 2, personally I've thought ever since they did it, playing Chin Dem as the opener was the ballsiest thing to do.

As a fan of the new stuff, I really enjoy the atmosphere, the creepy Chinese voices..it's really cool. I like how Axl jokingly plays with how he sings the vocals, too.