Unreleased music - and a lot of it

Apollo

This isn't a cupcake thread, and hopefully it won't turn into the typical axl-vs-slash, old band vs new band, worshipper vs bitter ex-fan stupid arguements.

None of us know 100% the real reason. So I'm just asking for people's honest opinions, as well as thoughts from anybody who is actually involved in the music industry who might have some insight on the subject. Obviously releasing new music isn't as easy as just putting it out there. Labels are involved, GnR must owe a label a certain amount of records - so does that limit what they can release?

If they owe Label X two ablums of material....does that mean they couldn't release a song on Itunes....because that song is owed to the label?

Anyway -

GnR supposedly has 20-25 unreleased "big guns" type of songs sitting in the library.

Axl has said that he saw CD more as a double album.

Bach (I think, maybe somebody else) said it was supposed to be a trilogy.

At one point, I believe Axl said that they were working on something like 50 or 80 songs that were all at various points of completion.

DJ said he submitted 12 songs to Axl.

Other band members have said they have worked on songs.

JUST from those comments from band members, it would seem that there are between 40-to-100 songs - at various stages - sitting in the GnR vault.

WHAT ARE THE REALISTIC REASONS that Axl isn't releasing more music?

1. Label doesn't want new music? If so - wouldn't they release the band then? Labels want to make money. They can't make money with albums. So why would a lable choose NOT to release music?

2. Band doesn't want to release new music? Doesn't seem to be true, most of the band has talked about wanting to release a new album.

3. Fans don't want new music? Not the case at all. Last album sold over 3 million copies.

4. Is it that Axl doesn't want to?

What would be the opposition factor to the band releasing a box set for Christmas, featuing all the unreleased material, concert dvd, etc. Here are the other 25 best songs Axl spent a decade working on. And then when they go tour again, releasing an album created by the current band?

What is stopping that from happening? What is preventing GnR from releasing music for their fans to enjoy? Is it just as simple as Axl doesn't want to? Or do you think there are more issues behind the scenes??

AND - does having finck/bucket as songwriters throw a wrench into releasing the old CD stuff?

(Please, no talk about "Axl's musical integrity".......I'm not talking about him appearing on Glee).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is preventing GnR from releasing music for their fans to enjoy?

Why do you think anything IS preventing GN'R from releasing new music? You do know they released a record less than four years ago? It is not uncommon for older bands to let it while a bit between releases. And besides, we do have quotes suggesting more work needs to be done before anything is ready for release, which is supported by the fact that band members have been in the studio in recent years.

I wonder what the mood is going to be here in 2014 when we still haven't received a new album since people are already breaking down from waiting....

its not uncommon for bands to release music every 4-8 years, they dont make money like they used to and are costly to make, every band member has talked about the next album and them getting back into the studio, just hold tight we will get something in the near future IMO

Why do you think anything IS preventing GN'R from releasing new music? You do know they released a record less than four years ago? It is not uncommon for older bands to let it while a bit between releases. And besides, we do have quotes suggesting more work needs to be done before anything is ready for release, which is supported by the fact that band members have been in the studio in recent years.

I wonder what the mood is going to be here in 2014 when we still haven't received a new album since people are already breaking down from waiting....

Well, here's the thing. Chinese Democracy took 14 years to complete, and it was most likely released without Axl's consent (Bestbuy deal, misprinted lyrics, no alternative booklets). It's not like there isn't no new music, they have probably over 40 or so songs done that (for some reason) aren't being released. There has to be logical reason to the "non-release" of new music. And, if there was a logical reason why aren't we hearing anything from the band?

Well, here's the thing. Chinese Democracy took 14 years to complete, and it was most likely released without Axl's consent (Bestbuy deal, misprinted lyrics, no alternative booklets). It's not like there isn't no new music, they have probably over 40 or so songs done that (for some reason) aren't being released. There has to be logical reason to the "non-release" of new music. And, if there was a logical reason why aren't we hearing anything from the band?

I don't agree at all that being unhappy the album was released in a haphazard and undesirable form is the same thing as being released "without consent".

As far as not hearing the reasons, do we really need to know? Axl told the LA Times that there are things to be dealt with in regards to the label. I don't think specifics beyond that benefit me as a fan or will really change the outcome.

Ali

The logical explanation for why they haven't focused on finishing the songs and releasing a new album in the less than four year period since the release of Chinese Democracy, is -- and hold on 'cause this will blow your mind -- they have preferred to tour and earn some money and do other things. Just the same reason as most other bands who don't release more frequently.

Universal has refused to promote and/or support any new GNR material that doesn't feature Slash and Duff, "at a minimum".

Universal has refused to promote and/or support any new GNR material that doesn't feature Slash and Duff, "at a minimum".

Well, if that is true than why doesn't Universal just release GN'R from their label and GN'R can make their own label?

Well, if that is true than why doesn't Universal just release GN'R from their label and GN'R can make their own label?

Because they don't want to give up their rights to future albums if Axl were to get back together with GNR.

its not uncommon for bands to release music every 4-8 years, they dont make money like they used to and are costly to make, every band member has talked about the next album and them getting back into the studio, just hold tight we will get something in the near future IMO

(SORRY - I HAVE NO IDEA WHY my response posted like this)

True, very true.

BUT.....it isn't really fair to say "they released an album a short 3.5 years ago"..........the entire statement would be "one album in the last 18 years" or "one album since 2000"......... One album in the last 3.5 years doesn't really tell the full story.

And, sure. Some bands release an album every 5 years. BUT a lot of bands go the other route and release an album ever 2-3 years. Same examples I always use - BJ 5 albums in 10 years. Metallica - 10 various releases in 16 years. So it isn't uncommon for bands to release music.

My question is really just about the overall picture - tied in with statements from Axl and band members.

Same time next year......

Thought of CD as a double album

CD Trilogy

Working on 50 songs (or whatever the number is)

Band members saying they turned in 12 songs to Axl

Tie those comments together with releasing one album since - let's even just use 2000. One album in the last 12 years - for a band that has talked about having 50-60 (or more) songs in its music vault.

I was just curious as to why people thought this band is so prolific in creating music........when they are going the route of the bands that only release music every 5-8 years? IF it was a personal choice just by Axl, label issues, etc. It just seems weird (and sad to me as a fan) to me for a band to create sooo much music, but not want to share their "art" with the fans.

So Soul, Bran - the guys who defend Axl's music releasing time table......what do you think Axl is going to do in the future in terms of all the backlog of music they supposedly have? Do you think we will ever get to hear the CD songs like soulmonster, thyme, general, jackie, etc?

2008 - CD

2014 - Songs created by current band, or CD leftovers (songs created 10-15 years before)?

2020 -

Edited by Groghan

most bands have lots of song ideas, and whittle them down to an album. i'd imagine axl's process for chinese democracy (hiring guys to send him countless jams and riffs) would yield an even greater bevy of song ideas and fragments. but if riad, if the world and scrapped were among his A-list, I think it's safe to assume even axl now realizes the rest probably isn't worth releasing.

i think he's just trying to build up fans (new gnr fans) around the world , and he's succeding , maybe ext year he will start focusing on a new album or releasing older material. he's not stupid.

he's making shows, he's starting shows on time, he doesnt stop shows to rant about shit or leave...he's changing...he's getting the fame gnr deserves back

(SORRY - I HAVE NO IDEA WHY my response posted like this)

True, very true.

BUT.....it isn't really fair to say "they released an album a short 3.5 years ago"..........the entire statement would be "one album in the last 18 years" or "one album since 2000"......... One album in the last 3.5 years doesn't really tell the full story.

And, sure. Some bands release an album every 5 years. BUT a lot of bands go the other route and release an album ever 2-3 years. Same examples I always use - BJ 5 albums in 10 years. Metallica - 10 various releases in 16 years. So it isn't uncommon for bands to release music.

My question is really just about the overall picture - tied in with statements from Axl and band members.

Same time next year......

Thought of CD as a double album

CD Trilogy

Working on 50 songs (or whatever the number is)

Band members saying they turned in 12 songs to Axl

Tie those comments together with releasing one album since - let's even just use 2000. One album in the last 12 years - for a band that has talked about having 50-60 (or more) songs in its music vault.

I was just curious as to why people thought this band is so prolific in creating music........when they are going the route of the bands that only release music every 5-8 years? IF it was a personal choice just by Axl, label issues, etc. It just seems weird (and sad to me as a fan) to me for a band to create sooo much music, but not want to share their "art" with the fans.

So Soul, Bran - the guys who defend Axl's music releasing time table......what do you think Axl is going to do in the future in terms of all the backlog of music they supposedly have? Do you think we will ever get to hear the CD songs like soulmonster, thyme, general, jackie, etc?

2008 - CD

2014 - Songs created by current band, or CD leftovers (songs created 10-15 years before)?

2020 -

for bands like metallica and other mainstream acts they can afford to make albums every couple of years, they will sell well over a million copies in a week or 2. as for releasing 1 album in 12 years that is true but other bands didnt have to replace every band member either it takes time and hardwork not to mention management trying their best to get a reunion together.

band like wintersun who made a killer album, released it in 2004 and we still havent had the follow up album, wintersun is going to make a double album one for fall release and in 2013, celtic frost took 16 years to make an album.

as for will we ever hear the stuff left over like soul monster,the general etc yes i think we will hear them

what's preventing guns n roses from releasing new guns n roses music is AXL ROSE

Seriously? That's unfortunate.

I was wondering where this music is too. I always thought it odd how Axl had commented before CD came out that he was working on songs for a 2nd and 3rd album before CD was even finished. Surely plenty of time has gone by for those songs to be fine tuned by now, even to Axl's standards. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to wonder after four years when the next album is coming out, especially since they've been playing the songs of CD for so long.

Seriously? That's unfortunate.

I was wondering where this music is too. I always thought it odd how Axl had commented before CD came out that he was working on songs for a 2nd and 3rd album before CD was even finished. Surely plenty of time has gone by for those songs to be fine tuned by now, even to Axl's standards. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to wonder after four years when the next album is coming out, especially since they've been playing the songs of CD for so long.

leslieairplane.jpg

Edited by dalsh327

Axl told fan at the Tel Aviv Nightclub that followup to CD will be out at Christmas...... Have to what and see if it happens. It would make a great Christmas present

Edited by kittengirl

Thats the million dollar question. I think Axl has mental issues that prevent him from releasing music. He could sue or at the very least , get released from thier contract, if the label is holding out for Slash. That may have been the reason 10 years ago. Why would the label not want to release a GNR record. The brand name alone is $$$$$$