Future tours, playing new material live, etc.

shotgunblues1978

Kind of a two part post:

-One, I want to speak about the "playing new material/changing the setlist" piece. With veteran bands, virtually no one that actually buys tickets to the show cares about new material. Compare it to any band within roughly 10-15 years of GnR in any direction that still draws an audience, that is sort of a "contemporary" of GnR. Metallica, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. The common theme is that people show up and pay money to hear the "hits" and the "classics" and don't really care about the rest. People on these boards complain about the setlists but the reality is that 90% of the audience doesn't care if they play Sorry, SoD and Better every night rather than If The World, IRS and Catcher. They just don't. And despite the claims from people on these boards that "the setlist hasn't changed since 2001," it actually has, and quite dramatically. In 2000 - 2002 they were regularly playing OTGM, My Michelle, Think About You. In 2006 they routinely played IRS. In 2009/2010 they added Sorry, If The World, Shackler's, Don't Cry, Whole Lotta Rose, Riff Raff to the regular mix. 2011 they added Estranged, Civil War, Dead Flowers, etc. Point being that while they still play the staples that are expected at any GNR show, they have in fact expanded and changed the setlist in substantial ways, over the multiple tours, so the claims that they have played the exact same set for the past 4-5 tours is bogus

Following up, there's one band that's gone in the opposite direction, and has actually seen its ticket sales decline dramatically because of it: the Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan typically new/recent material, lesser known old songs, and a small handful of old hits. Ironically, people get pissed off at this and complain that he doesn't play the old songs they want to hear. So that's the other side of the coin.

-Two, the great irony is that on the forums, roughly 50% of the people bitching about the setlist are the people who hate the current lineup and won't enjoy new music and/or setlist changes, no matter how significant. There are certain people on here who show up continually bitching about setlists that are very funny, considering they absolutely hate CD and will no doubt hate any new music Axl releases, yet they are some of the most vocal about his need to release new music/add new songs to the sets

the problem is that axl wants people to forget the old band (slash) and still plays all those classic songs. i know i know, the songs are his as well, but if he wanted so much to move on and say "fuck the past" he should play more of his new band's music. that's just my opinion, i know it would never happen, but i think that's the problem of the setlist, it focuses on songs that are tied to the past, not the present or future.

i won't bash a new record or different setlist, if they consist of good material and if they are performed properly. i know some people will always be negative and make fun of axl. i'm not one of those, i just want new music, i want axl to shut my mouth with his music.

until then, i really have nothing positive to talk about, but i love the community (gnr forums are really the most interesting and have the most heated discussions) so i'll be around... being negative, most of the time, sadly.

i can't wait to login and see threads about new songs, videos, etc.. the fanbase, the band and the music world deserve it, axl is a great musician.

i think that's the problem of the setlist, it focuses on songs that are tied to the past, not the present or future.

I think during the past year the shows have had a fairly good balance of old and less old songs. The problem is they don't mix it up very much from show to show.

First, they have to play the hits. You can't expect fans to fork over money for a GNR concert and then deprive them of Jungle, Sweet Child, Patience, Paradise, etc.

Second, the jams are necessary. People need to realize Axl depends on them, they are his opportunity to take much-needed breaks. It's also a good way to give bandmembers a moment in the spotlight and let them show what they can do.

What I think they need to do is rotate the non-hits. Prostitute has been performed only twice, both times in December 2009. Wouldn't it be great to have it included in the setlist now and then? Same thing with IRS, Garden of Eden, Riad, Catcher, Locomotive, TWAT, Coma, Breakdown, etc. Yeah it would involve a little extra work, but if it brings more fans to the shows and adds an element of surprise it would be worth it.

-Two, the great irony is that on the forums, roughly 50% of the people bitching about the setlist are the people who hate the current lineup and won't enjoy new music and/or setlist changes, no matter how significant. There are certain people on here who show up continually bitching about setlists that are very funny, considering they absolutely hate CD and will no doubt hate any new music Axl releases, yet they are some of the most vocal about his need to release new music/add new songs to the sets

With me personally that is not the case. I really want new music or at least a little more setlist rotation

All I am doing is stating what I personally would like to see. I have seen GNR twice since December and love CD so my complaints don't come from a place of hate when it comes with live shows, it comes from a person who has seen the same set twice (save for one or two songs) and have no desire to see the same thing again. I am not saying they owe me something or anything like that, but I simply will save my money for other bands instead of seeing the same show for a third time.

gnr plays a good combo of new and old stuff IMO they play 5 or 6 songs off chinese every night which is way more than most bands do, usually when a band releases an album you might get 2 or 3 songs off the new album.

problem is they need to rotate more add twat and prostitute once in a while, throw in if the world and rhiad every now and then, as for old songs replace some AFD tracks and add some UYI track hell throw in dont cry alt lyrics once in a while would be cool

Of course the majority of people going to a Guns show in 2012 couldn't give a toss about hearing anything from Chinese Democracy. But there ARE fans, even if it's only 1%, who do care about the newer stuff. Why not throw the loyal fans a bone every once in a while and mix things up a bit? I know if I were an artist I would want to look after my most loyal fans first and foremost and appease the casual fans second. It makes no difference to the average non-hardcore-GNR-nut concert goer what new songs they play, as long as they've heard Jungle, SCOM, PC and November Rain they'll leave happy. Yet for 1% of the audience, it'll make the world of difference to hear TWAT, OMG, Catcher and Prostitute for once.

It reminds me of when I saw Guns in London earlier in the year... when they played SCOM, everyone rose from their seats and went crazy but I took it as a chance to rest my legs. Then when Ron started Glad To Be Here, everyone sat down and I went crazy!

See, you have the forum fans aka hardcore fans that want new music (includes a small portion of fans that don't really care). Then you have the Facebook fans, that want Slash back and the original line-up reunion. Finally, outside the forums and the internet in general you have the casual fan that doesn't care if new music is released or not, that doesn't care which line-up is touring the world, that doesn't care if Axl is old, fat, or can't sing anymore. They see Guns in their town, buy a GA ticket with or without their partner and go to see them basically to listen to the classics and have a good time. :shrugs:

Kind of a two part post:

-One, I want to speak about the "playing new material/changing the setlist" piece. With veteran bands, virtually no one that actually buys tickets to the show cares about new material. Compare it to any band within roughly 10-15 years of GnR in any direction that still draws an audience, that is sort of a "contemporary" of GnR. Metallica, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. The common theme is that people show up and pay money to hear the "hits" and the "classics" and don't really care about the rest. People on these boards complain about the setlists but the reality is that 90% of the audience doesn't care if they play Sorry, SoD and Better every night rather than If The World, IRS and Catcher. They just don't. And despite the claims from people on these boards that "the setlist hasn't changed since 2001," it actually has, and quite dramatically. In 2000 - 2002 they were regularly playing OTGM, My Michelle, Think About You. In 2006 they routinely played IRS. In 2009/2010 they added Sorry, If The World, Shackler's, Don't Cry, Whole Lotta Rose, Riff Raff to the regular mix. 2011 they added Estranged, Civil War, Dead Flowers, etc. Point being that while they still play the staples that are expected at any GNR show, they have in fact expanded and changed the setlist in substantial ways, over the multiple tours, so the claims that they have played the exact same set for the past 4-5 tours is bogus

Following up, there's one band that's gone in the opposite direction, and has actually seen its ticket sales decline dramatically because of it: the Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan typically new/recent material, lesser known old songs, and a small handful of old hits. Ironically, people get pissed off at this and complain that he doesn't play the old songs they want to hear. So that's the other side of the coin.

the great irony guns n roses fans want CHANGE in the setlist. not more appetite/lies/illusions songs. but the guns n roses fans want UNRELEASED chinese democracy songs written and recorded by robin, bucket, and brain. a great irony for guns n roses fans. don't you think bro?

Kind of a two part post:

I will say this when it comes to Billy and Axl comparison. At least Axl recognizes that his audience wants to hear the classics and cares enough to play them live, whether he likes singing them or not. I will agree the set list has evolved and I am fine with it as it is. People that want more new songs than old are delusional. GnR shows will always have a core set list of "classic" material. With that being said, I have never understood why they dont switch out some of the Chinese songs. Think of how cool it would be for Dizzy to transition into Prostitute after his solo instead of SOD for the 100th time. ITW was great live when I saw them in Toronto... i became a fan of Shacklers only after hearing it live in Toronto. The number of "new" songs is actually fairly high comparing to other bands of GnR's stature - they just need to switch the new songs up a bit I think it would keep the band fresh and also the shows.

See, you have the forum fans aka hardcore fans that want new music (includes a small portion of fans that don't really care). Then you have the Facebook fans, that want Slash back and the original line-up reunion. Finally, outside the forums and the internet in general you have the casual fan that doesn't care if new music is released or not, that doesn't care which line-up is touring the world, that doesn't care if Axl is old, fat, or can't sing anymore. They see Guns in their town, buy a GA ticket with or without their partner and go to see them basically to listen to the classics and have a good time. :shrugs:

This is so true... forums or hardcore fans make up a VERY small portion of GnR's audience... If one were to take themselves off the forum and talk in general to rock fans, that grew up on GnR those fans more than likely have no idea who 4tus is and probably dont care to. Hell a good Stump the Trunk question would be to name all of the guitarist that have every played in GnR since Live like a Suicide? I wonder if Trunk even knows?

I couldn't care less for the CD leftovers. I want NEW songs, this band is capable of making a much better album than CD.

they're not cd leftovers. they're new guns n roses songs axl plans having on the next record

I read the first half of the original post, and OP you are wrong. The last several Bob Dylan records have been among the most successful of his career, and he commonly plays material from that era and the audience loves it. Believe me, I've seen him about 25 times since 1998.

Metallica also plays new material, and the audience digs it. The last metallica record is great.

The other bands you mentioned are washed-up has-beens... Billy Corgan is a washed-up has-been too, which is why people complain when he plays the new, boring music.

If you really want to use them to justify GNR's lack of "doing anything," then go ahead... but then you're really just saying that GNR is a washed-up has-been brand.

Edited by nambis

Before someone says "The people who wish there were more changes in the setlist are the people who don't go to shows" THAT IS NOT TRUE. I went to five shows within the past year and was pretty bored by the last one... Since it was the exact same show over and over again. Everything down to Axl bending down to his knees during 'but it goes to show!" in It's So Easy, to Richard jumping at the beginning and end of his solo spot, to Bumblefoot beginning Estranged center stage, to DJ sitting down on stage left at the beginning of Sorry while smoking a cigarette, to Richard and DJ beginning Nightrain center stage, leaving room for Axl to come and sing in between them.... I could go on and on. If it's still the same show the next time they come around, I doubt I'll be going to more than one.

They don't need to release a new album to vary the setlists up a bit. There's so many great songs that never get played. I think this would be a perfect setlist - it has all the big hits, some lesser known gems and some newer stuff too. I don't think you'd hear complaints from ANYONE if they did this setlist:

Welcome To The Jungle

Right Next Door To Hell

Think About You

Yesterdays

Oh My God

Shacklers Revenge

Civil War

Better

Accoustic set:

You're Crazy

Used To Love Her

Catcher In The Rye

Patience

Dead Flowers

Sweet Child O Mine

IRS

Breakdown

Pretty Tied Up or Locomotive

Rocket Queen

Prostitute

You Could Be Mine

November Rain

TWAT

Paradise City

Edited by Towelie

I read the first half of the original post, and OP you are wrong. The last several Bob Dylan records have been among the most successful of his career, and he commonly plays material from that era and the audience loves it. Believe me, I've seen him about 25 times since 1998.

Metallica also plays new material, and the audience digs it. The last metallica record is great.

The other bands you mentioned are washed-up has-beens... Billy Corgan is a washed-up has-been too, which is why people complain when he plays the new, boring music.

If you really want to use them to justify GNR's lack of "doing anything," then go ahead... but then you're really just saying that GNR is a washed-up has-been brand.

Bob Dylan caters to a completely different demographic than GnR, so it's not really worth comparing. The audiences are quite different.

Metallica's most recent tour they played nothing from their latest album, at least at the vast majority of their shows, where instead they played the Black Album in its entirety at most concerts, with several other 15+ year old songs thrown in. Be real, almost nobody going to a Metallica show gives two shits if they play anything past Load, and in fact a lot would prefer they didn't play anything past Black or And Justice For All

Bob Dylan caters to a completely different demographic than GnR, so it's not really worth comparing. The audiences are quite different.

Metallica's most recent tour they played nothing from their latest album, at least at the vast majority of their shows, where instead they played the Black Album in its entirety at most concerts, with several other 15+ year old songs thrown in. Be real, almost nobody going to a Metallica show gives two shits if they play anything past Load, and in fact a lot would prefer they didn't play anything past Black or And Justice For All

full black album was a special celebration tour, wasn't it? death magnetic tour, on the other hand....

fans not giving a fuck about metallica not playing recent stuff could be applied to gnr, 99% of the gnr crowd haven't heard CD.

you've obviously never been to a Dylan concert. :jerkoff:

Right, but that's only because it was a special tour where the whole point was to play that album in its entirety. this also followed tours where the new material WAS featured. That would be like GNR touring and playing UYI2 in its entirety... another thing that GNR would never do.

I disagree with you, I think most Metallica fans really dig their latest album. At least I do, and all of the other fans I know. It's their best record since Justice.

I wouldn't ever want to go to a gnr show where the hits aren't played despite watching them many times. I think having 33% AFD, 33% UYI and 33% CD is perfect. When a new album drops make it 25% for each of the 3 I named plus the new album material and that would suit me fine.

Edited by chokes

I wouldn't ever want to go to a gnr show where the hits aren't played despite watching them many times. I think having 33% AFD, 33% UYI and 33% CD is perfect. When a new album drops make it 25% for each of the 3 I named plus the new album material and that would suit me fine.

i won't ever go to a gnr show with dj, ron, and frank. but i will go 2 to a gnr show with robin, bucket, tommy, richard, and brain

Metallica's most recent tour they played nothing from their latest album

They played "Hell and Back" which was left off DM. But, what the concerts were were playing old albums in their entirety if you even bothered to look at the setlists.