Humans could be immortal by 2045

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/07/human-immortality-could-be-possible-by-2045-say-russian-scientists.html

He has already pulled together a team of leading Russian scientists intent on creating fully functional holographic human avatars that house artificial brains which contain a person's complete consciousness - in other words, a humanoid robot.

Together, they've laid out an ambitious course of action that would see the team transplant a human brain into an artificial body (or 'avatar') in as little as seven years time.

crazy shit, huh?

It's not really immortality as such, it won't directly benefit you in that you're still going to die. It's not your actual brain that gets transplanted into this avatar, just a copy of your personality... so there'll be a "you" floating around with all of your quirks, likes, dislikes etc. Mainly for the benefit of your family and friends, but your actual brain is still going to die, taking your consciousness with it.

It's not really immortality as such, it won't directly benefit you in that you're still going to die. It's not your actual brain that gets transplanted into this avatar, just a copy of your personality... so there'll be a "you" floating around with all of your quirks, likes, dislikes etc. Mainly for the benefit of your family and friends, but your actual brain is still going to die, taking your consciousness with it.

i thought it WAS the person's actual brain that gets transplanted?

maybe i didn't read the article closely enough but my inference was that they hope to be able to take someone who is dying, remove their brain, and put it into a new cybernetic organism so that you'd basically wake up in a new body.

typing that made it sound so ridiculous. :lol:

maybe i didn't read the article closely enough but my inference was that they hope to be able to take someone who is dying, remove their brain, and put it into a new cybernetic organism so that you'd basically wake up in a new body.

I saw the terms "artificial brains" and "holographic avatars". I didn't see how a physical brain could exist and move within a hologram, and I don't see how you could transfer the living consciousness of a human being into an "artificial brain". If it's not just a simulation of a person and in fact is a method of extending life indefinitely then that is completely incredible, but imagine how fucked up the morals and laws related to it would get...

I saw the terms "artificial brains" and "holographic avatars". I didn't see how a physical brain could exist and move within a hologram, and I don't see how you could transfer the living consciousness of a human being into an "artificial brain". If it's not just a simulation of a person and in fact is a method of extending life indefinitely then that is completely incredible, but imagine how fucked up the morals and laws related to it would get...

i think the article is saying that's what they're doing now, almost like a first step:

He has already pulled together a team of leading Russian scientists intent on creating fully functional holographic human avatars that house artificial brains which contain a person's complete consciousness - in other words, a humanoid robot.

but right below that it says:

Together, they've laid out an ambitious course of action that would see the team transplant a human brain into an artificial body (or 'avatar') in as little as seven years time.

take a look at the image (not sure if it'll show up here):

li_milestones.jpg

the first stage is the hologram but it advances from there until basically our consciousness is planted into new bodies.

edit: maybe i'm wrong about the stages because i think i was reading them reverse.

if this works it really would open pandora's box...

i think the article is saying that's what they're doing now, almost like a first step:

but right below that it says:

take a look at the image (not sure if it'll show up here):

li_milestones.jpg

the first stage is the hologram but it advances from there until basically our consciousness is planted into new bodies.

if this works it really would open pandora's box...

The implications for everything from religion to reproduction to exploration to the way we treat the environment would be huge...

i think you're right though graeme, the penultimate step of his plan seems to be artificial body, artificial brain and a 'transfer' of a human's consciousness into the artificial one. i guess that way it can function forever without any problems. and then the holographic avatar thing, which i just don't get. i feel like transplanting a human brain and managing to retain someone's consciousness would be more ideal. then you can at least say you're human to some degree. like robocop.

i wouldn't want my brain scanned and digitized and transferred to a fake brain. :lol: and i don't really see why a hologram would be more impressive than a cybernetic body with a human brain in it?

geeze, this is tripping me out thinking about it.

I'll believe it when I see it, then I'll reject it as unethical :lol:

In all seriousness, would you do that? I mean, I can understand not wanting to do it yourself, but would you campaign against other people's right to do it?

How amazing would this be.

2015-2020

The emergence and widespread use of affordable android "avatars" controlled by a "brain-computer" interface. Coupled with related technologies “avatars’ will give people a number of new features: ability to work in dangerous environments, perform rescue operations, travel in extreme situations etc.

Avatar components will be used in medicine for the rehabilitation of fully or partially disabled patients giving them prosthetic limbs or recover lost senses.

2020-2025

Creation of an autonomous life-support system for the human brain linked to a robot, ‘avatar’, will save people whose body is completely worn out or irreversibly damaged. Any patient with an intact brain will be able to return to a fully functioning bodily life. Such technologies will greatly enlarge the possibility of hybrid bio-electronic devices, thus creating a new IT revolution and will make all kinds of superimpositions of electronic and biological systems possible.

2030-2035

Creation of a computer model of the brain and human consciousness with the subsequent development of means to transfer individual consciousness onto an artificial carrier. This development will profoundly change the world, it will not only give everyone the possibility of cybernetic immortality but will also create a friendly artificial intelligence, expand human capabilities and provide opportunities for ordinary people to restore or modify their own brain multiple times. The final result at this stage can be a real revolution in the understanding of human nature that will completely change the human and technical prospects for humanity.

This is the time when substance-independent minds will receive new bodies with capacities far exceeding those of ordinary humans. A new era for humanity will arrive! Changes will occur in all spheres of human activity – energy generation, transportation, politics, medicine, psychology, sciences, and so on.

Today it is hard to imagine a future when bodies consisting of nanorobots will become affordable and capable of taking any form. It is also hard to imagine body holograms featuring controlled matter. One thing is clear however: humanity, for the first time in its history, will make a fully managed evolutionary transition and eventually become a new species. Moreover, prerequisites for a large-scale expansion into outer space will be created as well.

So it is saying, at projected around 2025, there will be possibilities of having a new, full-functional body.

Edited by Forsaken