How much Robin's departure fucked Chinese promotion?

ChristianGNR

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know the full story of why 2008 was one of Axl's lowest points in his life, and why he was keeping such a low profile at the time. We also don't know the details of Robin's contract with NIN at the time, it sounded like Reznor was still paying him.

Axl shelved the video, did a few interviews, was prob. still working on music in 2008, as well as getting the band ready for a tour. We've read a little bit about it, but there's prob. more to the story, esp. considering Axl hadn't been out in public for a while at the time. Maybe he was even more overweight from months in the studio trying to get it ready.

Robin wasn't on Axl's mind during the forum chats, was he?

BOOM!

The smoking gun. Even Axl himself said in the chats that there were solid dates for a tour, this was in December of 2008 after the release of the album. He also said Robin expressed some interest in touring, insinuating that Robin was still in the band at the time in some form. Chinese Democracy's lack of promotion had nothing to due with Robin leaving.

Axl fucked the promotion. Nobody else.

This. Only and exactly this.

I'm easily one of the biggest Finck fans out there and I can tell you his departure shouldn't have caused an issue at all.

Whether it was a conscious decision or not, Chinese Democracy not being properly promoted by anyone in Guns N' Roses was the fault of one dude; their lead singer.

I am not blaming ROBIN himself... just saying that the band dind't have a position about the lead guitar during the release of Chinese. Gn'R wasn't ready to go on tour after November 23rd.

According to Axl himself in December 2008(AFTER the release of Chidem), Robin was still in the band AND showed some interest in touring. So your theory holds no water at all. Hell, Axl even said there were no definite plans to tour immediately.

Edited by Young_Gun

I thought Robin was fired by Azoff to try and force Axl into a reunion or was that just a tall tale?

Also didn't Axl refuse to promote the album because he was having difficulties with the label or have I gotten my facts wrong?

I consider myself lucky to have gotten to hear Robin play Better, Street of Dreams, IRS and Madagascar live.

Just after releasing Chinese, Guns N' Roses didn't have a band right to go on tour... or do some TV promotion and whatever...

Discuss

Robin had nothing to do with the lack of promotion for Chinese... He departure "may" have delayed the start of the tour. Fact is it doesnt matter who is GnR if there name isnt Slash, Duff or Izzy. This is Axl's baby and it was up to him to promote it.

i met and had a brief conversation with Robin Finck in Los Angeles at the end of June. he was more cordial than i expected and provided some interesting insight.

Perhaps you would like to share that insight rather than just add nothing to the conversation but gloat about meeting a former member of the band.

I thought Robin was fired by Azoff to try and force Axl into a reunion or was that just a tall tale?

Also didn't Axl refuse to promote the album because he was having difficulties with the label or have I gotten my facts wrong?

I consider myself lucky to have gotten to hear Robin play Better, Street of Dreams, IRS and Madagascar live.

Have no idea what Robin's deal was with NIN and GNR, except Trent being pissed that Robin was collecting a check for sitting on Axl's couch. But being told it's NIN's last hurrah tour, Robin prob. felt he owed it to Trent, or there might have been some lawsuit threats against Robin. Non disclosure agreements at the time,maybe next interview, he'll talk more about it.

To the best of my knowledge Robin was not fired and very much left on his own accord.

What you're saying in regards to Axl and the label sounds about right.

And I feel the same way you do about hearing those songs live. I was there at the first Hammerstein show and felt beyond privileged to have heard him play his own parts on TWaT as well.

That's what I've also read. But I'm not sure who the source was. I believe I remember, but I don't want to start yet another internet rumor by saying "I believe it was person X" and 3 postings later it's "A.J. said it was person X" without the believe-part ... and then another 3 postings later it's "person X said" and if "my believe" is wrong ... well ... you know what I'm getting at. It's how internet rumors work ...

Basically, from what I've read about the time from Robin's departure to the time when the band went back on tour with DJ, I would think that the big hold up really had nothing to do with the band, but with "business people in the background". And yes, Azoff was not a band member, neither were the guys at the record label ;)

I am not blaming ROBIN himself... just saying that the band dind't have a position about the lead guitar during the release of Chinese. Gn'R wasn't ready to go on tour after November 23rd.

According to Axl himself in December 2008(AFTER the release of Chidem), Robin was still in the band AND showed some interest in touring. So your theory holds no water at all. Hell, Axl even said there were no definite plans to tour immediately.

everybody has an opinion. and BOOM yours sucks. because axl fucked chinese democracy when he let robin go back 2 NIN 4 tourin' and the live better video with robin and lars and brain was shelved