Were the 2000s the worst decade in modern history?

arnold layne

Seriously. Nothing good came from this decade.

The music was shit, the movies were shit, the politics have been debatable and we haven't progressed as a society.

Wrong, wrong, correct, and wrong.

One for four, not bad.

Worse than the decades with world wars when tens of millions died?

Yes. The 00s was horrible compared to earlier decades, especially the 80s, because it didn't have shitty video games, tacky music and because there wasn't a lack of cellphones and facebook.

Edited by Lithium

we haven't progressed as a society.

Completely ignorant thing to say.

Same sex marriage was not only considered acceptable but became legal in a lot of nations, vaccines were at an all time high, the LHC, the (I think) Russians created artificial DNA, Mars discovered to once hold water, not to mention the technological boom. Social networking may be seen as a pain to some, but it has brought the world closer together than ever before.

Granted, the economy was horrible.

we haven't progressed as a society.

Completely ignorant thing to say.

Same sex marriage was not only considered acceptable but became legal in a lot of nations, vaccines were at an all time high, the LHC, the (I think) Russians created artificial DNA, Mars discovered to once hold water, not to mention the technological boom. Social networking may be seen as a pain to some, but it has brought the world closer together than ever before.

Granted, the economy was horrible.

Who cares. Where are the flying cars?

The financial crisis over here was annoying and a bit unsettling.

Nothing like the destabilization of the EU, the declining population growth (other than England) followed by the growing immigration population of Europe though. Couple decades from now it's going to be worse. Wont be too bad though. Your children will have jobs teaching the visiting children of the Yun's and Zhang's your native tongues so they can properly exploit your resources.

Then you'll all feel bad for mocking the good ol' U.S., and wish for the days of Dubya and Co.

Edited by AbominableHoman

The financial crisis over here was annoying and a bit unsettling.

Nothing like the destabilization of the EU, the declining population growth (other than England) followed by the growing immigration population of Europe though. Couple decades from now it's going to be worse. Wont be too bad though. Your children will have jobs teaching the visiting children of the Yun's and Zhang's your native tongues so they can properly exploit your resources.

Then you'll all feel bad for mocking the good ol' U.S., and wish for the days of Dubya and Co.

Yeah, fuck the EU! They can suck my English arse! :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Ahhh, it's all a load of bollocks. My whole fuckin' life i've heard nothing but recession recession recession recession, in 10 years time this, in 20 years time that, recession through Thatcher, Major, Brown and Cameron...and for all of it, fuck all ever changed in my fuckin' life. In a day to day sense i've been completely unaffected. To me the news is just a bunch of other peoples problems. This fuckin' end of days i been hearing about since i was a kid, everytime i look out the window all i hear is fuckin' birds twittering.

Define modern history.

History see, that's like stuff that happened in the past n' that? Etymologically speaking it's a contraction of the words "His" and "Story" y'know cos it's the bloke wot's tellin' it and that? Modern is stuff that happened in the past or like right now but not like ages ago and stuff y' know? That said there's a strong present theory in physics that states that the concept of a "present" as such ain't like valid and that. Like two events thought to occur simultaneously aren't actually happening at the same time and until there's a causal link between the two they're technically not occupying the same reality. Think I read that one in Razzle but don't quote me yeah? :)

Edited by Dazey

I fucking know that smart ass! :lol:

I meant, where does modern history start? You know, like does it include the 40s when the second world war was on, because that definitely sucked in comparison to the 2000's.

Well it's defined in science as sometime in the 50's I think. That's cos there came a point in that era when all the nuclear testing we'd carried out buggered up things in the atmosphere to the point where carbon dating of anything beyond that point would be invalid. ;) There y'are! :)

Edit: this

Before Present (BP) years is a time scale used in archaeology, geology, and other scientific disciplines to specify when events in the past occurred. Because the "present" time changes, standard practice is to use 1 January 1950 as the origin of the age scale, reflecting the fact that radiocarbon dating became practicable in the 1950s. The abbreviation "BP", with the same meaning, has also been interpreted as "Before Physics"; that is, before nuclear weapons testing artificially altered the proportion of the carbon isotopes in the atmosphere.

Edited by Dazey

I fucking know that smart ass! :lol:

I meant, where does modern history start? You know, like does it include the 40s when the second world war was on, because that definitely sucked in comparison to the 2000's.

Well it's defined in science as sometime in the 50's I think. That's cos there came a point in that era when all the nuclear testing we'd carried out buggered up things in the atmosphere to the point where carbon dating of anything beyond that point would be invalid. ;) There y'are! :)

:lol: Well if that's the case then the 2000s is probably the worst decade. The 50 to the 80s were great and the 90 s was better than the 2000s because Axl and Slash were still talking to each other at some point in that decade. On that lovely note I'm going to say goodnight. Happy meetings! Until tomorrow, and start working on that comedy act! ;)