Street of Dreams

Snowmass

I think this song has Erin written all over it. She had a miscarriage which Axl was devastated over. It's also well known that when they broke up (they broke up several times so I'm not sure which one it refers to) he begged her to come back and did all sorts of crazy things to be with her again (...you know I tried so hard to change your mind....).

I've always wondered which angle the line "You know I wouldn't want to be you, now there's a hell I can't describe" comes from. At first I thought it was his kind of admonition over what he did to her (ie, the rape and locking in the closet thing), but then I also thought maybe it was something SHE once said to him? Who knows?

The stardust reference could easily apply to both Erin or Stephanie. They both used a lot of drugs and he didn't. Upon thinking about it more the chorus 'Everywhere I go I see you......" would apply more to Stephanie because she was at the height of her modelling career at the time, but I never heard that she had an abortion or anything so I kind of come back to Erin.

Axl used his share of drugs. According to him, Erin didn't.

Yes that's true! Did anyone ever hear that Stephanie was pregnant to him? Anyone know?

IIRC, way back in the usenet alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr (or whatever the hell it was) days, someone claiming to be Axl's brother Stuart posted that Steph had a pregnancy (which was presumed to involve Axl) terminated because there was evidence of fetal defects. The poster never proved their identity and there were a shitload of nutsacks on that board, so take it with a massive grain of salt.

It's possible but doubtful. I'm sure everyone around Axl said it was for the best that she was out of his life.

Kat seems like she'd be perfect for Axl.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone think Axl is obsessed with Slash? I've heard Axl say ''Slash'' maybe 5 or 6 times the past 10 years. Mainly because people asked him about it.

Anyway, I always loved ''The Blues'' untill I heard the leak. The RIR 2001 performance is the best one I ever heard and the 2002 versions were awesome as well. The first leak and the album version ruined the song for me.

Edited by UcudBmine

I reckon SOD is about Erin, her miscarriage, and what they both lost from it.

Just to clear something up though...

They (Axl/Erin) were together for four four years before they rocked up to the alter, so its understandable that she features heavily in his lyrics.

Here's an exert from an article regarding Erin's point of view in relation to what SOD could be about.

In September 1990, Everly learned that she was pregnant. "This was all I wanted," she says. "I thought it could have been a cure for Axl." If so, it didn't take: Everly says that Rose's elation quickly soured and that he threw her out of the condo and threatened to take the baby. When she miscarried in her third month, Everly had to sell her Jeep to cover medical costs. As Everly recuperated, Rose trashed the house in the Hollywood Hills they had been preparing to move into, causing $100,000 in damages.

The colored part is disturbing.

yeah, the blue quote is disturbing. but not necessarily surprising. the disparity between how axl perceives things and how others perceive them is always fascinating to me. slash talked about that in his book, in regards to things like starting late. i think that same attitude is also reflected in his relationships... by all accounts, the way he treated those women in regards to physical, emotional and sexual abuse is wrong. but to axl, it never seems to strike him that way. when he writes songs about those relationships, it's always about how he's been wronged, mistreated and abandoned. it's interesting how in his own world he is.

interesting to hear about erin's miscarriage. i'd never heard about that. but it certainly fits pretty well with my abortion interpretation. so maybe that's where the song came from. but the lyrics about her making a choice always struck me like an abortion thing. who knows... maybe that newsgroup post angelica referenced was true. or not. who knows.

either way, one of the things that made gnr more compelling than other band's in the genre was axl's eagerness to have his personal life not only reflected in his music, but inseparably intertwined. everything is deeply personal. maybe too personal for his own good sometimes.

Kat seems like she'd be perfect for Axl.

Why do you say that?

I reckon SOD is about Erin, her miscarriage, and what they both lost from it.

Just to clear something up though...

They (Axl/Erin) were together for four four years before they rocked up to the alter, so its understandable that she features heavily in his lyrics.

Here's an exert from an article regarding Erin's point of view in relation to what SOD could be about.

In September 1990, Everly learned that she was pregnant. "This was all I wanted," she says. "I thought it could have been a cure for Axl." If so, it didn't take: Everly says that Rose's elation quickly soured and that he threw her out of the condo and threatened to take the baby. When she miscarried in her third month, Everly had to sell her Jeep to cover medical costs. As Everly recuperated, Rose trashed the house in the Hollywood Hills they had been preparing to move into, causing $100,000 in damages.

The colored part is disturbing.

Lots of things about their relationship are disturbing. :no: And sad. Very, very sad.

I think this song has Erin written all over it. She had a miscarriage which Axl was devastated over.

Yeah, a part of me has always thought that maybe it was about Erin because of the miscarriage.

Then again it could have nothing to do with Stephanie or Erin. For all we know it could be about some other person Axl had know during his lifetime. When I first heard the song I initially thought it was about a woman's steady decent into the world of drug and prostitution. Maybe it's about some miscellaneous person he knew and watched as they destroyed their life? :shrugs:

I think this song has Erin written all over it. She had a miscarriage which Axl was devastated over.

Yeah, a part of me has always thought that maybe it was about Erin because of the miscarriage.

Then again it could have nothing to do with Stephanie or Erin. For all we know it could be about some other person Axl had know during his lifetime. When I first heard the song I initially thought it was about a woman's steady decent into the world of drug and prostitution. Maybe it's about some miscellaneous person he knew and watched as they destroyed their life? :shrugs:

woah woah woah my michelle :takethat: