Why do people dislike hipsters?

arnold layne

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The college kids/hipsters have their own community and they are cutting into the Jewish neighborhoods and last I remember they are not too happy with the college kids and their drug habits. Especially when around Yom Kippur when they ride their bicycles everywhere while they are walking to temple

You're all fucking idiots.

Hipsters have been around since before the 60s. Fuck, any of you who like the Beatles, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, NIN, or the Sex Pistols are hypocrites.

You label people based on looks and media tastes as 'hipster' and then call them 'pretentious douchebags'. A few of the people you call 'hipsters' are douchebags but most people who are into indie films and music are really cool, and collected individuals.

I wouldn't expect any less from a Guns N' Roses forum. But keep in mine that GNR was as much a hipster band when they started as The Black Keys, The White Stripes, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Edited by NormalGuns

Hipsters have been around since before the 60s. Fuck, any of you who like the Beatles, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, NIN, or the Sex Pistols are hypocrites.

You label people based on looks and media tastes as 'hipster' and then call them 'pretentious douchebags'. A few of the people you call 'hipsters' are douchebags but most people who are into indie films and music are really cool, and collected individuals.

I wouldn't expect any less from a Guns N' Roses forum. But keep in mine that GNR was as much a hipster band when they started as The Black Keys, The White Stripes, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

I think it's fair to say you're a bit up your own ass. I don't pretend to have any extensive knowledge on trends or teenage cultures but what exactly makes a hipster a hipster?

I don't get what you say about those bands - why would it make someone a hypocrite?

Most people I've met who identify themselves as hipsters are posers who actually know shit about indie music or films (or the books they carry in public but never read). It's become another trend that allows people to conform comfortably while maintaining the illusion they're asserting their individuality. True hipsters are presumably avoiding this crap like the plague.

Most people I've met who identify themselves as hipsters are posers who actually know shit about indie music or films (or the books they carry in public but never read). It's become another trend that allows people to conform comfortably while maintaining the illusion they're asserting their individuality. True hipsters are presumably avoiding this crap like the plague.

Then what makes someone a "true hipster" as opposed to just an average guy who has their own interests and doesn't give a fuck?

Guest Len B'stard

Rather a hipster than a willfully ignorant moron that thinks he's cool. Hipsters have been around since the 40s. In fact, the big movements of music, they pretty much all began through hipsters, the first whiteboys down at the black blues and jazz clubs were hipsters, you could say the beats were hipsters, then the hippies, the early glam people, then punks...see where this is going?

Then what makes someone a "true hipster" as opposed to just an average guy who has their own interests and doesn't give a fuck?

Judgemental cunts that are too busy peering over their shoulder at what the next persons doing to realise that, in fact, they're engaging in the exact kind of behaviour that they criticise others for.

Rather a hipster than a willfully ignorant moron that thinks he's cool. Hipsters have been around since the 40s. In fact, the big movements of music, they pretty much all began through hipsters, the first whiteboys down at the black blues and jazz clubs were hipsters, you could say the beats were hipsters, then the hippies, the early glam people, then punks...see where this is going?

Judgemental cunts that are too busy peering over their shoulder at what the next persons doing to realise that, in fact, they're engaging in the exact kind of behaviour that they criticise others for.

The world is just full of judgmental people though. They're a dime a dozen. It's totally rare to find someone who doesn't judge others. Often it stems from insecurity and I just can't stand it. When people hear that I like GNR (because i dont look like what a lot of aussies would cast a typical Gunners fan) they look at me in disbelief. It's weird. Anyway, that's their fucking problem. I couldn't give a rats ass. :)

The world is just full of judgmental people though. They're a dime a dozen. It's totally rare to find someone who doesn't judge others. Often it stems from insecurity and I just can't stand it. When people hear that I like GNR (because i dont look like what a lot of aussies would cast a typical Gunners fan) they look at me in disbelief. It's weird. Anyway, that's their fucking problem. I couldn't give a rats ass. :)

Ditto. Fuck em.

Ditto. Fuck em.

YEAH!!! FUCK EM ALRIGHT!

Exactly.

Some are pretentious fucks and some actually have genuine interests in indie culture.

I think if you 'identify' yourself in any sort of sub-culture then you're a moron. Some people just want to call themselves 'hipster' so badly that they just dress up the part, and walk around the streets in horn rimmed glasses and loafers like morons.

But what annoys me is that there are people who are genuinely nice people who are part of the culture because they're interested in it, and aren't worried about labeling themselves as anything.

Just like there are awful sub-cultures like metal heads, scene, goth, juggalo, bros, dubstep freaks, etc. I don't get why hipsters recently have been so demonized for no real reason. At least they like good music and don't post on GNR forums.