Why do people dislike hipsters?

arnold layne

It's like, I'm not homophobic but I hate the homosexual stereotype.

Similarly, I have no problem with people that have an interest in indie culture/"alternate lifestyle" but I can't stand pretentious fucks that go out of their way to demonstrate this and actually call themselves "hipsters". <_<

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

The thing is right, no fucker tells me what i can or what i can't like. No amount of any condescending cunts comments are gonna dissaude me from wearing loafers if i feel like it or wearing horn-rimmed glasses or appreciating the art i appreciate or having an interest in culture, alternative or otherwise, or a fuckin' Lord Sutch hat, i couldn't give a fuck.

And also, the people that look down on 'hipsters', that write off alternative culture without so much as giving it a chance, based on pre-concieved notions, aren't they doing the exact same thing as the ones they criticise, aren't they just as bad?

And quite frankly, who the fuck are these people anyway, what, fans of fuckin' Guns n Roses and Black Sabbath and all that...and i'm supposed to be fuckin' afraid of them, am i? :lol:

Most of the people on this forum that have levelled criticism towards hipsters, from what i can gather, it's almost always blokes too, fancy themselves as like, more aligned with typical perceptions of what they percieve to be more down to earth, grassroots, unpretencious uber masculinity well, excuse me but don't make me fuckin' laugh, tryna act all fuckin' hard, like you're some raw red meat chewing, Budweiser-drip wearing, 40 Marlboro smoking badass fuckin' cowboy when half of em are the biggest fuckin' soft lads going, people like fuckin' Miser and that, probably never done a fuckin' days graft in their life, wearing a polo shirt with their little tits and bellys poking out, dreaming about Erroll Flynns fuckin' tache and wide collared shirts, people that look like if you fuckin' slapped em once they wouldn't come to til the late evening...and these are the fuckin' big bad geezers?!?! :rofl-lol:

I've been to fuckin GnR gigs, i've seen em with their fuckin' Live at the Whiskey t shirts and fuckin' studded belts, half of em look like they'd shit their pants to a fuckin' boo, slagging off Nirvana and emo's and all that, just fuckin' have a fuckin' day off, like what you like and stop looking over the next mans shoulder to see what he's doing, if you're so into your own shit, why'd you even care what some other cunts doing?

Gimme the fuckin' freaks ANY fuckin DAY, gimme Iggy in the early 70s, gimme Johnny Lydon and Kurt Cobain, gimme David Bowie and John Lennon, gimme fuckin' Ian Mackaye and James Chance, Glenn Branca and Sonic Youth, let all the fuckin' unpretencious cool-as-fuck bad boys like Miser and them have...whatever fuckin' shite it is they're into :lol:

No, a hipster isn't about what they like, it's about what they DON'T like.

They always dislike things that are popular whether they're good or not, or some indie underground thing is better than whatever everyone else likes. I don't have a problem with opinions but don't intentionally not like things just because everyone else likes them, it's stupid.

Hardcore gamers are also hipsters. People who hate on CoD for the sake of hating on Cod, mostly PC gamers unfortunately (which I am) and hating on console gamers. Like people who say Obilivion was better than Skyrim because it was more complicated. That does not necessarily mean better.

They're all different brands of hipsters.

They always dislike things that are popular whether they're good or not, or some indie underground thing is better than whatever everyone else likes. I don't have a problem with opinions but don't intentionally not like things just because everyone else likes them, it's stupid.

Hardcore gamers are also hipsters. People who hate on CoD for the sake of hating on Cod, mostly PC gamers unfortunately (which I am) and hating on console gamers. Like people who say Obilivion was better than Skyrim because it was more complicated. That does not necessarily mean better.

Honestly most of the games you listed are mediocre anyways. Has nothing to do with 'em being popular or not. (And Oblivion is much better than Skyrim) :shrugs:

And no, they don't 'always' dislike popular things. They probably just dislike the things that you like, which makes you sound bitter.

Indie music is what's popular nowadays anyways, and I can tell you with certainty that hipsters don't dislike indie music.

Edited by NormalGuns

Guest Len B'stard
They always dislike things that are popular whether they're good or not

Who died and put you in charge of other peoples opinion of what is good or not?

I don't see why people have so much of a difficult time understanding why someone might reject or be sceptical as to the value of mainstream culture, have you looked at the fuckin' world we're living in, look at the fuckin' recession we're in, look at the pointless fuckin' wars and bullshit politics, look at the corrupt bankers bleeding fuckin' society dry and getting bonuses for it, look at the corruption that permeates our society, why is it so difficult to believe that someone might wanna look elsewhere for something that truly speaks to them? What is wrong with independence, what is wrong with liking something different, what is wrong with thinking for yourself and not just blindly liking whatever shit everyone else is.

And the hilairious thing is, loads of the people, some on this very forum, that slag off so called 'hipsters', these are the same people that look at current culture, music, movies and go it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit, bring back the 70s and 60s and 80s and all that shit, you'd think they'd be first in line to reject a lot of the mainstream shit :shrugs:

Edited by sugaraylen

this picture appeared on my facebook news feed the other day, it made such an impression i saved it and shared with my best friends (we have a private facebook group, 'homoclan')

caption "i want to strangle my monitor"

528520_945833560749_757448700_n.jpg

Edited by Jackie Moon

Hipters try hard to be different, to look sophisticated, like they don't follow media trends, like they're superior in some way. Let's say they like an Indie band. The band becomes popular? They suck now. They used to be better when they were unknown, hence the phrase "I _____ before it was cool". I fucking hate it.

this picture appeared on my facebook news feed the other day, it made such an impression i saved it and shared with my best friends (we have a private facebook group, 'homoclan')

caption "i want to strangle my monitor"

528520_945833560749_757448700_n.jpg

I honest to God don't see what the problem is with this photo.

I don't have a problem with hipsters in particular, but I can't stand it when it looks like someone is just trying too hard to fit into that whole "culture". Those stupid clothes and those stupid glasses just tend to give off that impression to me. I guess it's possible that they actually like that style, but then I just hate them for completely different reasons so I guess it doesn't make much of a difference.

I hate "trying too hard" in general, though, so it's not just a hipster thing.

Honestly most of the games you listed are mediocre anyways. Has nothing to do with 'em being popular or not. (And Oblivion is much better than Skyrim) :shrugs:

And no, they don't 'always' dislike popular things. They probably just dislike the things that you like, which makes you sound bitter.

Indie music is what's popular nowadays anyways, and I can tell you with certainty that hipsters don't dislike indie music.

Hell no, Oblivion sucked. Also the games were just examples.

And to be fair, as for not liking things I like, why would that make me bitter? I like them so good for me. My issue is they dislike things for the sake of disliking them, often not actually giving things a chance which is never the right way to go.

EDIT:

Hipters try hard to be different, to look sophisticated, like they don't follow media trends, like they're superior in some way. Let's say they like an Indie band. The band becomes popular? They suck now. They used to be better when they were unknown, hence the phrase "I _____ before it was cool". I fucking hate it.

This is what I'm getting at.

Edited by Mr_Oujamaflip

Hell no, Oblivion sucked. Also the games were just examples.

And to be fair, as for not liking things I like, why would that make me bitter? I like them so good for me. My issue is they dislike things for the sake of disliking them, often not actually giving things a chance which is never the right way to go.

EDIT:

This is what I'm getting at.

Okay, but now you're just generalizing. Do you know any of these 'hipsters'? Can you prove they're trying to fit in and don't actually have an interest in certain indie art and culture?

And on the note of the bands, I have never heard of someone liking a band and then disliking because it became popular. I think you're honestly just talking out of your ass, and either don't know any of these people you call 'hipsters', or are just playing off of silly stereotypes that aren't necessarily true.

Like moop said as well, the definition of hipster doesn't even exist. It's just an insult idiots throw around at people who like different things than they do.

Guest Len B'stard
Okay, but now you're just generalizing.

And thats basically what the whole things about, you see a bunch of people that dress a certain way or read certain books and you get 101 pre-concieved ideas about em without actually knowing shit except what they picked out of their wardrobe that morning and the last fuckin' thing they got out the library.

Okay, but now you're just generalizing.

And thats basically what the whole things about, you see a bunch of people that dress a certain way or read certain books and you get 101 pre-concieved ideas about em without actually knowing shit except what they picked out of their wardrobe that morning and the last fuckin' thing they got out the library.

There wouldn't be a term for this kind of thing unless it was a generalised view on what they are. NormalGuns, also like how you've assumed I have some issue with these people and I'm using this thread as an insult to them when I'm not, I'm simply stating why people do have problems with them.

Fact of the matter is, any such term, chav, hipster, hardcore gamer, whatever, applies to a generalised view of how certain people are, or percieved to be.

As for knowing people who are like that, I've met many people who have shifting opinions on things as soon as they gain popularity, may not necessary be a conscious decision but it happens and part of that is what the whole hipster thing is.

They always dislike things that are popular whether they're good or not

Who died and put you in charge of other peoples opinion of what is good or not?

I don't see why people have so much of a difficult time understanding why someone might reject or be sceptical as to the value of mainstream culture, have you looked at the fuckin' world we're living in, look at the fuckin' recession we're in, look at the pointless fuckin' wars and bullshit politics, look at the corrupt bankers bleeding fuckin' society dry and getting bonuses for it, look at the corruption that permeates our society, why is it so difficult to believe that someone might wanna look elsewhere for something that truly speaks to them? What is wrong with independence, what is wrong with liking something different, what is wrong with thinking for yourself and not just blindly liking whatever shit everyone else is.

And the hilairious thing is, loads of the people, some on this very forum, that slag off so called 'hipsters', these are the same people that look at current culture, music, movies and go it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit, bring back the 70s and 60s and 80s and all that shit, you'd think they'd be first in line to reject a lot of the mainstream shit :shrugs:

The problem is that without knowing the "hipster" in question personally, we can't tell if he just has his own interests and thinks for himself or if he just acts the way he does and talks the way he talks to seem cool/intelligent. Sadly, the latter is the reputation of hipsters because a lot of them are like that.

There's a difference between someone disliking something that's mainstream BECAUSE it's mainstream and just disliking it because it's shit.

Guest Len B'stard

The problem is that without knowing the "hipster" in question personally, we can't tell if he just has his own interests and thinks for himself or if he just acts the way he does and talks the way he talks to seem cool/intelligent.

Have you any idea how arrogant that sounds? We're talking about people here, not lab rats.

There wouldn't be a term for this kind of thing unless it was a generalised view on what they are. NormalGuns, also like how you've assumed I have some issue with these people and I'm using this thread as an insult to them when I'm not, I'm simply stating why people do have problems with them.

Fact of the matter is, any such term, chav, hipster, hardcore gamer, whatever, applies to a generalised view of how certain people are, or percieved to be.

As for knowing people who are like that, I've met many people who have shifting opinions on things as soon as they gain popularity, may not necessary be a conscious decision but it happens and part of that is what the whole hipster thing is.

This becomes all the more complicated though when the word already has a history and a meaning, long before anyone that might've been dreamt up in the last 3 or 4 years.

The problem is that without knowing the "hipster" in question personally, we can't tell if he just has his own interests and thinks for himself or if he just acts the way he does and talks the way he talks to seem cool/intelligent.

Have you any idea how arrogant that sounds? We're talking about people here, not lab rats.

This becomes all the more complicated though when the word already has a history and a meaning, long before anyone that might've been dreamt up in the last 3 or 4 years.

I think for simplicity's sake we are talking about the dreamt up definition of the past few years.

However you define the smug assholes with mustaches and thick rimmed glasses that always cut me off downtown, and only drink locally brewed IPAs or.... Pabst Blue Ribbon, but when I drink Coors Light I'm the asshole. I don't like them. Everyone else. You're cool. :hug:

i like pabst blue ribbon :(

That is pretty silly. Like music for what it is. If a band is good at delivering good songs, support them. I guarantee some of these hipsters do not actually like what they listen to.