DJ Ashba wins "Guitar Hero Of The Year" award

volcano62

You guys are gonna be so salty when he comes up with some decent licks for the next album. :hahafyou:

that is where you are mistaken.

I think most of us would be THRILLED if that happens.

I hope GnR puts out an album that is better than Appetite! I'm a die-hard fan, I want them to succeed, not fail.

what other awards were there that night. Is there a website ?

Yes

It is just a magazine based in Vegas, that mainly concentrates on Vegas musicians. This "award" is no different than if the Lawrence Kansas newspaper did an award for musicians that live in Kansas.

Vince Neil got got the lifetime achievment award last year. David Coverdale this year.

But yes. DJ's ability to cover Slash material earned him a guitar award from a locally based magazine that nobody on this forum has ever heard of.

But yes. DJ's ability to cover Slash material earned him a guitar award from a locally based magazine that nobody on this forum has ever heard of.

I think it is both unfair and demeaning to claim the award is just based on Dj's interpretation of Slash. Dj is more than a guitar player in GN'R, and in GN'R he also plays his own material as well as playing guitar parts written by many GN'R band members.

In GN'R he plays one or two songs of his own, the rest are covers. He has not yet demonstrated how he is "more than a guitar player" in the band. Not saying he won't be able to show that, but as of now he is only a guitarist in the band. That's the fact

What this a comment to my post? I was referring to the fact that he is also a song-writer and guitar player in other bands (isn't there something called SixxAM?) and that he is not "merely playing Slash's parts" while in GN'R. My point is just that he is being sold short if his career is summarized as "covering Slash". I assume he got the prize because of him combined merits and the fact that he is a citizen in Las Vegas.

Are there are any other Vegas based guitarists who deserve the prize more?

In GN'R he plays one or two songs of his own, the rest are covers. He has not yet demonstrated how he is "more than a guitar player" in the band. Not saying he won't be able to show that, but as of now he is only a guitarist in the band. That's the fact

What this a comment to my post? I was referring to the fact that he is also a song-writer and guitar player in other bands (isn't there something called SixxAM?) and that he is not "merely playing Slash's parts" while in GN'R. My point is just that he is being sold short if his career is summarized as "covering Slash". I assume he got the prize because of him combined merits and the fact that he is a citizen in Las Vegas.

Oh yeah it's very true he is active in his other projects, never mind :tongue2:

I don't think that he did work with Sixx AM or Motley Crue or anybody else in 2012 - just GnR. But I could be wrong.

The only thing that he does for GnR - currently - that is his own work is the guitar solo. DJ has no writing credits for any song that GnR plays. And technically you are also correct about what he plays every concert. I'm really an Axl fan first, then a fan of how the music sounds second. I don't know which guitar player covers which part. I just know that the three current guys split up the guitar work. So DJ isn't 100% covering Slash. I'm sure he also covers some Izzy parts, as well as some Finck parts, as well as some Buckethead parts. I guess my statement would have been more accurate if I'd said 85% of what DJ plays instead of just a blanket statement about covering Slash.

A lot of time on forums (and in real life) people talk in generalities and they don't spend hours on research to get accurate numbers or take polls of millions of people to get exact results. Kind of like when somebody tells you "I'll be there in a minute".....they aren't actually telling you that they will arrive in EXACTLY 60 seconds. But sure, I suppose I could have said he covers 83% slash parts, 8% Izzy parts, 5% bucketparts and 4% finck parts, plus does one solo of his own. But I DO appreciate that there were no insults in your post.

And to be honest - good for DJ. Any recognition for a musician is a good thing. I'm not familiar with the Vegas rock n roll scene. Maybe he is the best guy there. Congrats for a magazine choosing him as the guitar hero of Vegas.

My comments were more in response to people saying that Slash/VR winning a Grammy has no meaning......but then acting like winning a city based magazine award is something akin to winning the nobel peace prize.

I'm glad DJ was honored. Any good press is positive for the band. I hope that DJ's writing and playing skills help GnR win many awards in the future.

DJ won because of his charisma and .

What? Ashba and charisma? Maybe for emo teenagers...

What? DJ's not a charismatic guy now? You can say whatever you want about his looks and playing, but you can't say he treats his fans with more respect than any other GnR member right now. :shrugs:

DJ won because of his charisma and .

What? Ashba and charisma? Maybe for emo teenagers...

What? DJ's not a charismatic guy now? You can say whatever you want about his looks and playing, but you can't say he treats his fans with more respect than any other GnR member right now. :shrugs:

True, I don't like the way he dresses and all that emo stuff. He is not that great of a guitarplayer either. But he really seems a nice guy and everybody who has met him, has said so. His stagepresence is also just fine, he really enjoys himself, which you can see,and he makes lots of contact with the audience. He is charismatic.

Charisma depends on the eye of the beholder. There is no question Dj is considered charismatic be many, and by having inadvertently joined one of his chats and a few times skimmed through his facebook response, I would say that demographic consists of loose, young girls who annoy me.

What exactly has DJ done except for butchering his parts live to warrant this award? Was this an award that fans could vote for? If so, it would make sense that he won this. All his little emotionally fu*ked up girl fans would have worn out their mouse voting for the noob.

Butthurt?