REALISTICALLY, what can Axl do to satisy you? (given the CURRENT situation)

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been the best decade ever in the history of GNR.

I take it you were either not born, an infant or locked in a box from 1987-1993.

I wasn't born. The result of that is that I can look at the early days of GNR without the thoughts being tainted by a drug-induced haze or nostalgic longing for an idealized past. A revolving door line-up that only got more and more volatile as time went on. Read any of the number of books out there about how everything was getting put together in the early days. The band was a disaster waiting to happen, and it happened from the release of the UYI records through the band's implosion. This past decade has happened in reverse. Things have stabilized, the band has gotten better, and are touring more instead of less. The last decade has been a better progression for GNR than the first was, from an objective standpoint. You can feel free to subjectively disagree.

Obviously, You can't help when you were born, but how can you actually compare the two different generations of the band and deem this version the best of all time when you weren't around to see the original? The current version of guns n roses Is a very good band, but truthfully they don't come close to the original lineup, and that's coming from someone that has seen both versions of the band and I'm sure that the majority on this board that are old, like me, and had the oppritunity to see both, will agree.

Realistically????

You already know the answer but you can't bring yourself to accept it.

He's fat. He's 50. He's lost his signature voice.

Unless he performs with Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steve.........Axl is a goddamn washed up dinosaur JOKE. A punchline. No relevance. A forgotten fallen icon.

Nothing other than a one-off with the original 5 will ever, EVER make any difference.

He could debut 25 brand new "songs" from the CD/Buckethead sessions, and about 300 people around the world on these message boards would give two shits. Axl Rose's day in the sun is long, long over. He only has one chance left to ever shine one last time, and that's by reuniting with his former bandmates.

Nothing else would ever matter at this point.

Realistically????

Unless he performs with Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steve.........Axl is a goddamn washed up dinosaur JOKE. A punchline. No relevance. A forgotten fallen icon.

Nothing other than a one-off with the original 5 will ever, EVER make any difference.

He could debut 25 brand new "songs" from the CD/Buckethead sessions, and about 300 people around the world on these message boards would give two shits. Axl Rose's day in the sun is long, long over. He only has one chance left to ever shine one last time, and that's by reuniting with his former bandmates.

Sad but true. His voice is still somewhat ok from what I've heard, but its only on the decline. He failed making GNR van Hagar (in termsof connecting to an audience through new material) and I doubt he wants to add further fuel to the fire. I don't see anymore new material being officially released. We'll see, but you won't have to color me surprised when it doesn't.

Edited by Bobbo

Realistically????

A reunion would make things only worse.

Only if it really sucked.

If it was a truly epic spectacle.....say.....ONE HOUR of the best from AFD/UYI with the original 5.......like that Zeppelin concert a few years back......it would blow people's minds.

I'm not saying they should tour the world......all I'm saying is they should at least give the fans a gift of ONE LAST performance to celebrate the fact that they all survived, if nothing else.

Just one last blow out jam from the most dangerous band in the world........who cares how old, fat, bald they are.....if they did it.....it would be legendary.......forever!!!!!

Realistically I think the best that can happen is Izzy doing some more guest appearances and maybe the band playing one of the old bands songs thats not been heard in a while. Neither of these things would make me satisfied but with the present day GN'R thats about as good as it gets!

Realistically????

Was lookin for the dumbass quote of the day!! At least you got the second half of your name right...

So, he's fat, can't sing, and not the same. But regardless of those facts, if he's on stage with the original lineup, he'll get the voice, physical shape, and sig voice back??

Check your logic ya moron. Actually old man, GOOGLE logic. Unless your too old to understand what I'm saying.

Edited by AxlRose14

Was lookin for the dumbass quote of the day!! At least you got the second half of your name right...

So, he's fat, can't sing, and not the same. But regardless of those facts, if he's on stage with the original lineup, he'll get the voice, physical shape, and sig voice back??

Check your logic ya moron. Actually old man, GOOGLE logic. Unless your too old to understand what I'm saying.

Wockas wocka! You wanted to be quote of the day, and you got it Fozzie Bear!!!

FACT: Axl is 50. Axl is fat. Axl can't sing like the old days.

But you ask 100 random people what they prefer, between a real GNR reunion and the current iteration of NuGuns and what do u think would win?

Hmmmm....let's try to estimate the number of people that would prefer to hear such groundbreaking hits like SORRY and IRS with Ashba and Bumblefuck on guitar and wheeeezy old fat Axl croaking our the lyrics.....

As opposed to....

Swet Child and Jungle with Slash and Duff.......with wheeeeezy old Axl croaking out the songs to the best of his old fat man ability.......

Kind of a no brainer to anyone but the handful of delusional fucks here on these boards. But to everyone else in the REAL world, they'd rather hear and see Axl perform with the REAL Guns N Roses, not this scam piece of shit pretend band.'

Truth hurts, huh?

I really don't understand how anyone would rather have a cover band playing the hits for the sake of nostalgia rather than having the real deal doing it for nostalgia. I like most people rather have the latter, especially with the standstill snoozefest that is the nu band. Who wouldnt want the actual methods to the madness that defined what GNR is to most people, instead of a glorified mooch brigade? It boggles my mind, it really does.

I really don't understand how anyone would rather have a cover band playing the hits for the sake of nostalgia rather than having the real deal doing it for nostalgia. I like most people rather have the latter, especially with the standstill snoozefest that is the nu band. Who wouldnt want the actual methods to the madness that defined what GNR is to most people, instead of a glorified mooch brigade? It boggles my mind, it really does.

This.

Because some people prefer not to force others to do something they don't want to do just to please other people?

Because some people prefer not to force others to do something they don't want to do just to please other people?

I think that goes for the original band. They don't want to reunite either.

Only if it really sucked.

If it was a truly epic spectacle.....say.....ONE HOUR of the best from AFD/UYI with the original 5.......like that Zeppelin concert a few years back......it would blow people's minds.

I'm not saying they should tour the world......all I'm saying is they should at least give the fans a gift of ONE LAST performance to celebrate the fact that they all survived, if nothing else.

Just one last blow out jam from the most dangerous band in the world........who cares how old, fat, bald they are.....if they did it.....it would be legendary.......forever!!!!!

this. Just one hour, all forgiven.....waiting CD for 10 years, fat axl, mickey mouse, hats and DJ.... all gone, me happy.

Oh yeah, so instead, let's frankenstein a "band" where most of the "members" are brought in from all over place, and then forced to somehow have a unified chemistry, and also have openly admitted to not being a fan of the "band" they're in now in the first place, and lock them in a studio and on stage with the incentive of a huge paycheck none of them would have even heard of otherwise. Oh, and that band they weren't a fan of the first place, they play their material for 80% of their shows, despite being a "band" for twice that time. So much integrity :jerkoff: . Yeah, that's so much better. :rolleyes:

Truth is, the real deal still have their spark, and can even play their instruments with much more precision than they did back in the day when they were fucked up all the time. And everybody gets along currently except Axl and Slash. So yeah, I'd rather see them perform the songs for the sake of nostalgia, than what's essentially a cover band that didn't even like the songs they're playing in the first place let, alone having emotional connection to them, cashing in on their success. It's really mostly a matter of Axl stop being such a bitter ol' baby back bitch.

Edited by Bobbo

I like most people rather have the latter, especially with the standstill snoozefest that is the nu band

You, sir, need facts.

What facts? A cover of Civil War? What exactly are you trying to say?

Are you honestly denying the FACT that the vast majority of people want the creators of the music that are putting the asses in the seats, over the nu band?

I really don't understand how anyone would rather have a cover band playing the hits for the sake of nostalgia rather than having the real deal doing it for nostalgia.

But who one wants the current band for the nostalgia? I want the current band to play CD songs and to work on a new record. That's the opposite of nostalgia, it's a longing for the future not a longing for the past. When I want nostalgia, and I sometimes do, I visit youtube to see the AFD lineup in it's prime, I don't need a bunch of guys to get together 25 years later to try to copy what they once was just because I live in the past. That would just be a pathetic, sad sight.

I really don't understand how anyone would rather have a cover band playing the hits for the sake of nostalgia rather than having the real deal doing it for nostalgia.

But who one wants the current band for the nostalgia? I want the current band to play CD songs and to work on a new record. That's the opposite of nostalgia, it's a longing for the future not a longing for the past. When I want nostalgia, and I sometimes do, I visit youtube to see the AFD lineup in it's prime, I don't need a bunch of guys to get together 25 years later to try to copy what they once was just because I live in the past. That would just be a pathetic, sad sight.

Because I'm a "actions speak louder than words" type of guy, and the moves the nu guys are making are more about dwelling in the past. Playing less nu stuff than they did on the beginning of this tour, and more old stuff. Maybe, just maybe, one day that'll change, but I personally doubt it, and will until I see Axl and these guys actually making progress instead of just talking about plans to. It just doesn't seem like Axl's about the future anymore. Right now they come off essentially as a nostalgic cover band milking another band's past success for profit, and if that's all we're gonna get, I'd much rather have the real deal out there doing it instead.

Because I'm a "actions speak louder than words" type of guy, and the moves the nu guys are making are more about dwelling in the past. Playing less nu stuff than they did on the beginning of this tour, and more old stuff. Maybe, just maybe, one day that'll change, but I personally doubt it, and will until I see Axl and these guys actually making progress instead of just talking about plans to. It just doesn't seem like Axl's about the future anymore. Right now they come off essentially as a nostalgic cover band milking another band's past success for profit, and if that's all we're gonna get, I'd much rather have the real deal out there doing it instead.

Heh, no, you are delusional if you believe a future GN'R will play more new stuff than the classic material. That will never happen. But a future band might release new music, and that is all I care about. So again, I don't want a reunion because I am not interested in hearing the old material live, I am interested in band that is interested in the future more than the past, and so far I have no reason to believe that the current lineup isn't more that type of band than a reunion band would be who would for all purposes just get together for the cash grab.

It's funny how people bashing the current band keep on addressing it as a "cover band" only set out to "milk another band's past success for profit" when we actually know CD was released four years ago and that the band members are interested in releasing new material. Sort of a low blow. And it becomes directly ironic when these same people are in favour of a reunion which would ONLY be for profit.

Heh, no, you are delusional if you believe a future GN'R will play more new stuff than the classic material. That will never happen. But a future band might release new music, and that is all I care about. So again, I don't want a reunion because I am not interested in hearing the old material live, I am interested in band that is interested in the future more than the past, and so far I have no reason to believe that the current lineup isn't more that type of band than a reunion band would be who would for all purposes just get together for the cash grab.

It's funny how people bashing the current band keep on addressing it as a "cover band" only set out to "milk another band's past success for profit" when we actually know CD was released four years ago and that the band members are interested in releasing new material. Sort of a low blow. And it becomes directly ironic when these same people are in favour of a reunion which would ONLY be for profit.

I never said I expect them to play more nu songs than the classic stuff. Just saying it should be more of a delicate balance if they want to be taken more seriously; especially by now. 50/50 or around that ballpark. Don't feel that's an unrealistic expectation.

I'd agree with the point of them being a "future band" and being more about the future than the past if their actions actually showed that. Instead there's still a ridiculous emphasis on the past. I, like most people, love GNR for what they did to earn their wings in the first place, and again would rather see the actual methods to the madness perform the songs for profits, instead of what's mainly a coverband cashing in on their works.

The reason people throw those "low blows" are because they're touring with a set list of 75-85% of songs they had fuck all to do with, and that's what people are paying to see.They're specifically cashing in on songs of yesteryear, case in point; nostalgia. And they've been a "band" for much longer. Even with the CD songs, Fortus, Bumble, and Frank came in later, the latter at the very end where these songs were already pretty established (based on the demos that were leaked) and their contributions seemed to be pretty minimal. Ashba hasn't contributed to dick yet. Again, I have no problem with Axl playing the hits he helped create, but the set list should be a little more balanced by now between classic songs and nu songs. Give the nu band an identity of their own, and show us they can put asses in the seats based on their own material, rather than just continuing to live in the old band's shadow. At least if the old band were back together playing these songs, it will be the actual inventors behind the music. The ones that did contribute to songs people actually pay to see. Not an essentially glorified cover band. Not necessarily because they're bad playing the songs, but because a cover's still a cover. You could consider that a nostalgic cash grab, but at least it would be with the people who actually earned that right. Who helped made it nostalgic in the first place.

And the whole "it's only been four years" would apply better if we hadn't already waited 17 years prior to that, and they actually seemed like they were in the studio working on the "future" instead of out there mainly milking yesteryear. Axl had established a game plan (more than once) to tour, release, tour release, yadda yadda, and now he seems like he couldn't give a shit, again based on his actions. Yes shit happens, but it seems like Axl just wants to tour what's already out there, even if the employees wanna work, Axl's the head honcho and his actions and plans are the only ones that matter. And his expendable time seems to be wearing thin. Plus with CD failing to really connecting to an audience, with most fan and public reception outside these forums being mainly negative, I doubt Axl wants to bother. Honestly, there's no mystique or high demand for another nu album. Axl could cut all the CD songs and nobody outside these forums would bat an eye. God help him if he cut Jungle though.

Again, I could be wrong, and only time will tell, but I think there's just as much reason to doubt another nu album than there is to expect one at this point. Even more room for doubt in my eyes, but each to their own...

Edited by Bobbo

I never said I expect them to play more nu songs than the classic stuff. Just saying it should be more of a delicate balance if they want to be taken more seriously; especially by now. 50/50 or around that ballpark. Don't feel that's an unrealistic expectation.

I'd agree with the point of them being a "future band" and being more about the future than the past if their actions actually showed that. Instead there's still a ridiculous emphasis on the past. I, like most people, love GNR for what they did to earn their wings in the first place, and again would rather see the actual methods to the madness perform the songs for profits, instead of what's mainly a coverband cashing in on their works.

The reason people throw those "low blows" are because they're touring with a set list of 75-85% of songs they had fuck all to do with, and that's what people are paying to see.They're specifically cashing in on songs of yesteryear, case in point; nostalgia. And they've been a "band" for much longer. Even with the CD songs, Fortus, Bumble, and Frank came in later, the latter at the very end where these songs were already pretty established (based on the demos that were leaked) and their contributions seemed to be pretty minimal. Ashba hasn't contributed to dick yet. Again, I have no problem with Axl playing the hits he helped create, but the set list should be a little more balanced by now between classic songs and nu songs. Give the nu band an identity of their own, and show us they can put asses in the seats based on their own material, rather than just continuing to live in the old band's shadow. At least if the old band were back together playing these songs, it will be the actual inventors behind the music. The ones that did contribute to songs people actually pay to see. Not an essentially glorified cover band. Not necessarily because they're bad playing the songs, but because a cover's still a cover. You could consider that a nostalgic cash grab, but at least it would be with the people who actually earned that right. Who helped made it nostalgic in the first place.

And the whole "it's only been four years" would apply better if we hadn't already waited 17 years prior to that, and they actually seemed like they were in the studio working on the "future" instead of out there mainly milking yesteryear. Axl had established a game plan (more than once) to tour, release, tour release, yadda yadda, and now he seems like he couldn't give a shit, again based on his actions. Yes shit happens, but it seems like Axl just wants to tour what's already out there, even if the employees wanna work, Axl's the head honcho and his actions and plans are the only ones that matter. And his expendable time seems to be wearing thin. Plus with CD failing to really connecting to an audience, with most fan and public reception outside these forums being mainly negative, I doubt Axl wants to bother. Honestly, there's no mystique or high demand for another nu album. Axl could cut all the CD songs and nobody outside these forums would bat an eye. God help him if he cut Jungle though.

Again, I could be wrong, and only time will tell, but I think there's just as much reason to doubt another nu album than there is to expect one at this point. Even more room for doubt in my eyes, but each to their own...

It seems like it's the fact that the band mostly plays old songs that throws you off and makes you think the band is more about the past than the history. You seek "balance" and call it a "ridiculous emphasis on the past". And why? Just because the band doesn't play 50/50 new songs. Do you seriously expect a band with GN'R to play 12 songs from Chinese Democracy on their shows? A record that wasn't that well received and which really pale sin comparison to earlier material, at least as far as public recognition goes? Isn't playing 5-8 new songs more than what is customary for a band of GN'R's standing who releases a new record?

Even if you still hold on to the idea that not playing a "delicate balance" of old vs new songs indicates that the band is not about the future, you would have to agree that a reunion of the AFD lineup would be less for the future and more of a nostalgia act. And that's my whole point, in addition to thinking the band puts more than enough emphasis on new music at their gigs.

I also don't understand this wide-spread myth that Axl "couldn't give a shit anymore" about releasing new music. Are you so easily fooled that just because Axl's ambitious plans fell apart he has lost his footing altogether and just given up? Haven't we learnt anything from history? Axl never does things on a timely schedule and always spend more time on things than he thought he would. The fact that he spent so much time on CD is a case in point why we shouldn't be all whiny just because it has been 4 years now. It might be four more years! I fear that if people really let themselves be fooled by Axl's past comments or the band's naive optimism, they will just end up as another boring generation of butthurt GN'R fans who haunt the forums whimpering about how bad the band treats them when their expectations didn't come through. Here's the thing: Don't believe what Axl says. What are we then left with? We are left with the knowledge that there is lots of music in different states of completion, we are left with an Axl who obviously hasn't thrown in the towel yet, and we are left with a band that is eager to release new music. Cheer up, we probably will hear new music some time. Perhaps in 2 years, perhaps in 4 year. And in the meantime life goes on.