Beach Boys

Bansidhe

Mike and Bruce made some commitments to do a South America tour in October, back in June. Mike said that he's open to working in the studio for a follow up with Brian again. Ending it in England, where they were able to build a following when they became a joke in the US in the late 60s, makes sense to end it there.

But you have to remember they're also touring with 10 other musicians (musicians from Brian's band and Mike Love's "Beach Boys") and doing a 3 hour show, and the "usual" Beach Boys show is prob. not as long or takes as much work.

Edited by dalsh327

Mike Love is a giant asshole. The difference between GNR and the Beach Boys: Axl is the genius behind GNR, and Axl owns the name. In the Beach Boys, the genius (Brian) gets the shaft. If Brian toured with his Smile Sessions band and called it The Beach Boys, I'd accept it a lot faster than I do when it's Love. What a douche. At least have the stones to tell the man you owe your career to that you are unceremoniously shitcanning him to his face, you bitch.

Mike Love is a giant asshole. The difference between GNR and the Beach Boys: Axl is the genius behind GNR, and Axl owns the name. In the Beach Boys, the genius (Brian) gets the shaft. If Brian toured with his Smile Sessions band and called it The Beach Boys, I'd accept it a lot faster than I do when it's Love. What a douche. At least have the stones to tell the man you owe your career to that you are unceremoniously shitcanning him to his face, you bitch.

Quoted for truth.

Love still probably holds a grudge against Brian for deciding to give Carl the lead vocals on Good Vibrations.

Quoted for truth.

Love still probably holds a grudge against Brian for deciding to give Carl the lead vocals on Good Vibrations.

Mike can suck it. Carl was the best singer in the Boys. "Student Demonstration Time" is one of the worst Beach Boys songs ever, and it tarnishes a great album.

Wild Honey to Holland was a pretty good run. I don't remember many of Mike's songs.

Same thing would happen with a GNR reunion :takethat:

it's much better to have a bunch of hired yes-men covering the gnr catalogue

Is it really "covering" when they play the material 500% better than the classic lineup?

Yes, how ignorant are you? There are plenty of covers that I think are better than the originals, but they're still covers.

As for the Beach Boys, it was bound to happen. Just be glad the reunion ever happened and that they actually recorded an album together.

Edited by bacardimayne

Same thing would happen with a GNR reunion :takethat:

it's much better to have a bunch of hired yes-men covering the gnr catalogue

Is it really "covering" when they play the material 500% better than the classic lineup?

Yes, how ignorant are you? There are plenty of covers that I think are better than the originals, but they're still covers.

As for the Beach Boys, it was bound to happen. Just be glad the reunion ever happened and that they actually recorded an album together.

I'm glad they made the effort to do a good album together, and I think they'll regroup in the next couple of years. Mike said he's open to working with them in the studio on the other songs Brian had.

I don't get the impression GNR are yes men, Axl picked a bunch of people who fit in and do the songs well. Beach Boys had plenty of replacements back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beach_Boys_lineups

(Daryl Dragon also owned Rumbo Studios)