Metallica vs. GN'R

Vincent Vega

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both bands are titans. I am more into GN'R's music but Metallica have ran their career in a much better way.

9 (original) albums to GN'R's 4 1/2.

Two masterpieces (RTL and MOP) to GN'R's one (AFD).

Stable (Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett) line-ups.

Good fan relations (fan club) - Napster aside.

Plenty of live dvds, making ofs and things to keep fans interested all of the time.

I also think Metallica were more innovative. Appetite was essentially an amalgam of Aerosmith, Stones and Pistols. What Metalica were doing in the '80s, inventing thrash, turning it into an almost classical thing on songs such as Orion and Ktulu, was far more innovative. And there is no doubt that Metallica are still a force today. One of the few rock acts who can still sell albums. Guns are wash-outs who operate in a world of complete chaos and mis-management. That said, I still prefer Guns, old Guns at least. I have to be in the mood for Metallica. Sometimes I find their music a little on the, 'cold' side, when I am not in the mood. Appetite however is my ultimate 'go to' album, an album I could put on anytime, anywhere. I prefer the more blues based greasy feel of Appetite. I also prefer that 'pop' feel you get on songs such as scom.

My head says Metallica, my heart says Guns. Objectively I choose Metallica, subjectively I choose Guns.

Guns it is. I think the brilliance of Appetite, that one album, swings it.

While I do really like Metallica, and appreciate them, it's gnr for sure. But I am a HARD ROCK fan, not METAL. Give me zeppelin, gnr, ac/dc, and van halen over metallica, maiden, and sabbath any day of the week.

Yep i'll ltake hard rock over metal any day

I prefer GnR.

But in terms of taking care of their fans and a body of work metallica wins.

Metallica's early work shouldn't be so simply dismissed. Their first few albums were literally game changers. Master and Battery as a 1-2 punch was as powerful as anything metal out there at the time. Ride the Lightening was awesome. Master was great. I think the album metallica sold 30 million copies. One was an epic release when it came out. The greatest hits from their first five albums.....pretty hard to beat.

When Mr sandman came out you could see the writing on the wall though and how the band was becoming more commercially driven. Then their sound started changing. Kind of like def leppard....the 2nd half of their career sounds like a different band than their first half. They both changed what they did in hopes of commercial success.

Now it its cool to hate Metallica. But back in the day, they were as real as it got.

Edited by Groghan

I prefer GnR.

But in terms of taking care of their fans and a body of work metallica wins.

Metallica's early work shouldn't be so simply dismissed. Their first few albums were literally game changers. Master and Battery as a 1-2 punch was as powerful as anything metal out there at the time. Ride the Lightening was awesome. Master was great. I think the album metallica sold 30 million copies. One was an epic release when it came out. The greatest hits from their first five albums.....pretty hard to beat.

When Mr sandman came out you could see the writing on the wall though and how the band was becoming more commercially driven. Then their sound started changing. Kind of like def leppard....the 2nd half of their career sounds like a different band than their first half. They both changed what they did in hopes of commercial success.

Now it its cool to hate Metallica. But back in the day, they were as real as it got.

i would agree with most of this.

metallica were part of a new movement but their were a lot of bands doing the same thing and even some doing it before metallica. i think venom gets left out alot when it comes to people talking about thrash, they were doing it 4 or 5 years before anyone. mixing punk and metal with fast riffs.

the reason i think metallica broke away in terms of popularity was because unlike the the teutonic thrash bands and slayer and others in the US. metallica had a very sing a long style to most of their songs, they were fast and heavy but very melodic.

metallica then after the black album metallica turned their backs on the metal fans, metal and punk fans are the most loyal fans in the world and when you feel a band turns their back on you metal fans will remember and it is hard to earn that respect back. some bands have done it alot have not. of course some people do it just to be cool, but i think it is in the minority not the majority of metal fans.

as for who i would choose i would choose gnr anyday of the week the spaghetti incident and chinese democracy is better than anything metallica has done since and justice.

Bran....ya, I should have added that part. My friends were into Slayer, Overkill and Death and bands like that. Metallica came along and did heavy metal and thrash, but melodic enough to make it where the average hard rock fan could enjoy it.

Fade to Black, Master, Seek and Destroy, Sanitarium, One.....heavier than hard rock, but mellower than extreme thrash or aggressive heavy metal.

Bran....ya, I should have added that part. My friends were into Slayer, Overkill and Death and bands like that. Metallica came along and did heavy metal and thrash, but melodic enough to make it where the average hard rock fan could enjoy it.

Fade to Black, Master, Seek and Destroy, Sanitarium, One.....heavier than hard rock, but mellower than extreme thrash or aggressive heavy metal.

yeah exactly they hit the perfect balance

This is exactly why Anthrax will always be my favorite thrash band - it's heavy as fuck, but incredibly melodic too. There's really no denying that Joey is the only real "singer" out of the Big 4 - who between Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer has something as melodic as Medusa or Lone Justice?