The Weather

Christinith

I got woken up by 50 mph gusts of wind kicking shit around. Wind is a homo.

I fucking hate wind. It's been horrendous around my neck of the woods lately, although October is notoriously windy, so completely explainable really. But really, 1 day of it and I've had enough. After 2 or 3 weeks of it and I'm feeling a bit psycho. I almost couldn't get out of my car the other day, I had to use my hands and feet against the door to get out. :wacko:

Yesterday I thought I was in the UK. It was 27 degrees Celsius (80F) and I walked my dog along the beach and heard more British accents than I heard Australian or Russian (lots of Russians for some reason are always walking along the beach :wacko:). It seems every Brit in Melbourne was out and about enjoying the sunshine. :lol:

Yesterday I thought I was in the UK. It was 27 degrees Celsius (80F) and I walked my dog along the beach and heard more British accents than I heard Australian or Russian (lots of Russians for some reason are always walking along the beach :wacko:). It seems every Brit in Melbourne was out and about enjoying the sunshine. :lol:

You spend all day talking to Dazey and Lenny on here and you question if you're in the UK when you step outside? Really? :lol:

You spend all day talking to Dazey and Lenny on here and you question if you're in the UK when you step outside? Really? :lol:

I don't spend all day talking to Dazey and Lenny, whatever gave you that idea? <_<

Charles Wohlforth wrote recently a great book about global warming, The Whale and the Supercomputer :

BookCover.jpg

Wohlforth traveled to Alaska in 2002 to track people who conduct climate research. In this surprisingly intimate presentation, in which he gives the life stories of most of the people he interviews, he accompanies one group of scientists on a Nome-to-Barrow transect to measure winter snowpack, and he talks to climate modelers, glaciologists, entomologists, and biologists at their various research stations on the Arctic coast or in the interior.

Often itinerants from the lower 48, the scientists have a data-oriented outlook that contrasts with that of the Inupiat, the indigenous people of Alaska's North Slope. The contrast is nuanced and not succinctly definable, however. Although the Inupiat leaders were wary of him as an outsider, Wohlforth accompanied them on their tradition-keeping hunts for bowhead whales, a legal exception to the worldwide prohibition on whale hunting. En route, he transmits their experiences of climate warming either through observation of seascape or ancestral memory, which effectively convey the Inupiat's impression of the changes around them. Wohlforth's detailed, perceptive work will immediately engage readers interested in environmentalism.

Yesterday I thought I was in the UK. It was 27 degrees Celsius (80F)

:lol:

Hey listen Mister Smarty Pants, there is the ODD day where it gets that warm in the UK. I think a total lunar eclipse happens more frequently, but it HAS happened. :lol:

It was 29 in Scotland for a few days this summer... Did you hear any Scottish accents on your wanderings? Only half my facebook feed now is made up of friends who've upped sticks and moved to Melbourne :P.

Hey listen Mister Smarty Pants, there is the ODD day where it gets that warm in the UK. I think a total lunar eclipse happens more frequently, but it HAS happened. :lol:

It was 29 in Scotland for a few days this summer... Did you hear any Scottish accents on your wanderings? Only half my facebook feed now is made up of friends who've upped sticks and moved to Melbourne :P.

No shit! Wow, that's awesome! No, I unfortunately didn't get to enjoy any Scottish accents.

Pity we don't have any volcanoes here in Victoria, you could come and join them! :)

No shit! Wow, that's awesome! No, I unfortunately didn't get to enjoy any Scottish accents.

Pity we don't have any volcanoes here in Victoria, you could come and join them! :)

Aye, Australia seems sadly lacking in volcanoes... New Zealand's hoarding them all! It's interesting, you're working with fashion, one of my friends who's out there did fabrics and textiles at University, has done extremely well and now seems to have a full time job in fabrics out in Melbourne. Maybe you'll cross paths some day :P.

Aye, Australia seems sadly lacking in volcanoes... New Zealand's hoarding them all! It's interesting, you're working with fashion, one of my friends who's out there did fabrics and textiles at University, has done extremely well and now seems to have a full time job in fabrics out in Melbourne. Maybe you'll cross paths some day :P.

Oh that would be really cool. Send me a PM with her name and I'll keep my eyes and ears posted. I have a secondary passion for printed textiles so I imagine we would have a lot in common. :)