Do you think a band will ever shake the world again?

wasted

Grunge was the last big rock movement. Britpop was too derivitive and didn't catch on with the Americans. Nu-metal was fairly big - and fairly original in about 1995 when Korn first appeared- but sort of turned into a rap-rock thing (Limp Bicuits and paparoach) and promptly vanished; it is now universally hated. Besides, it was mostly ripping of RATM. After that I do not know really know. These bands like The Killer, newer rock bands, are mostly doing a beatles stroke mod revival to my ears. Is this considered a distinct 'movement'?

I agree. I hear a lot of bands that sound quite good but there's NOTHING original about them at all. They are so derivative that it kind of turns music into a bland wasteland. If someone can do something truly original it could be a huge success, but then again, easier said than done right? :D

However, people like Mozart and John Lennon came along. No reason another one won't, however how the corporate machine gets in the way of that will decide how successful they are.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the issue arises when people labour under the presumption that the history of music has always followed the formula laid out post Elvis which simply isn't true. Music wasn't always this huge organised lucrative thing, it became so and has only been so for 50 or so years and now it's petering off. Looking at it in a broader sense, perhaps that was just a period in history and music is gonna go back to the position that it used to occupy in culture, where it wasn't this huge money-spinning thing?

It's always been a money-spinning thing as much as it was created to document and preserve.

Thomas Edison was def. all about the ego and money, why else did he put his face on wax cylinder canisters?

The road to success, no one really can predict a phenomenon.

GNR were a phenomenon, and you'll never see anything like it again, at least in how it looks and sounds. Same with The Beatles.

They can hype it and promote it, but they can't guarantee its success, and so much money is spent in chasing a dream for many.

The best thing to do is stay true to what you want to do, and if you believe in it, take it as far as possible.

The only thing a record company does, is to sell product and if they have artists working with them, that relationship should make things a little easier vs someone who is tone deaf and just wants to sell to a bunch of screaming teenage girls. Most of those pop groups have songwriters that were in "real bands", some of them in bands we used to listen to or still do.

Like GNR, Nirvana, Oasis even the The Strokes did?

I'm not saying there isn't good music, but what about a group of drugged addicted bad asses that sell 30 million records?

Or is it all played out and Shrillex is the future.

I got the impression that The White Stripes were bigger than The Strokes.

I don't think a 2000s group has ever gotten much bigger than Muse, though.

Green day were out in the 90s. They are careerists rather than earth shakers. Linkin Park have sold a lot of records like ColdPlay. Coldplay do seem to have bad a lot of influence.

Maybe some bands just strengthen the foundations rather than level the building.

I thought The Strokes paved the way for The White Stripes. I don't believe they reached commercial success until Elephant, Is This It? came out in 2001 and turned Garage Rock Revival into a household name.

If anything, they were peers, but there was no paving the way, White Stripes had 3 albums, Strokes opened for White Stripes back then.

The Strokes said "The End Has No End" had taken a bit from SCOM.

maybe the next big thing, if you can pardon the expression, will be a country metal band. or some band that unifies across the board.

I remember Strokes and White Stipes being out similar times but Strokes seemed more striaght ahead whereas white stripes seemed very arty. But the roles reversed a bit. Strokes seemed like a band of dudes. they seemed like the new Aerosmith. If they's taken on more of a stadium band sound but they didnt they retreated. stayed cool.

maybe the next big thing, if you can pardon the expression, will be a country metal band. or some band that unifies across the board.

I remember Strokes and White Stipes being out similar times but Strokes seemed more striaght ahead whereas white stripes seemed very arty. But the roles reversed a bit. Strokes seemed like a band of dudes. they seemed like the new Aerosmith. If they's taken on more of a stadium band sound but they didnt they retreated. stayed cool.

That's already happening to an extent.

I've seen Carrie Underwood cover Aerosmith and Guns N' Roses

Zac Brown Band covering Aerosmith and Nirvana

Lady Antebellum covering Aerosmith

Jason Aldean covering Kid Rock

Kip Moore and David Nail cover Tom Petty

Etc..

Edited by The Real McCoy

Of course there will be one, the real question should be is will we be too old to get into that kind of music lol.

Country is more rock these days than rock is.

Figure that out.

Man, this guy sucks big time but I'm afraid ur right...country is more rock than the garbage that is rock music now a days.

Of course there will be one, the real question should be is will we be too old to get into that kind of music lol.

Figure that out.

Man, this guy sucks big time but I'm afraid ur right...country is more rock than the garbage that is rock music now a days.

I'm a big fan of Jason's, so I have to disagree with you there. ;)

But yeah, I'm at the point where modern rock sucks so bad anymore that I've been going back and picking up classic albums that I missed out on the first time.

I'd much rather spend the afternoon listening to "Tattoo You" by the Stones or "Grace" by Jeff Buckley than anything that gets passed off as "rock" these days.

And with the likes of Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, and Eric Church all playing constantly on country radio, I'd much rather stay on that side of the tracks.

Figure that out.

I'm a big fan of Jason's, so I have to disagree with you there. ;)

But yeah, I'm at the point where modern rock sucks so bad anymore that I've been going back and picking up classic albums that I missed out on the first time.

I'd much rather spend the afternoon listening to "Tattoo You" by the Stones or "Grace" by Jeff Buckley than anything that gets passed off as "rock" these days.

And with the likes of Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, and Eric Church all playing constantly on country radio, I'd much rather stay on that side of the tracks.

To each his own I guess. Grace by jeff Buckley is truly underrated; I two am constantly listening to that album. Also Superunknown by Soundgarden and some Alice in Chains, those two bands were always my favorites from the grunge era. I have also discovered country music but I tend to listen to more traditional country music; find it very refreshing.

I think our own age has as much to do with it as anything.

A new album now doesn't mean anything close to what new albums meant to me as a teenager.

As a teen and young adult music is part of our lives. We feel like we are part of the team, we wear band t-shirts, hang posters on the wall, and favorite songs are attached to life changing memories. Your first kiss, your first love, a slow dance with your crush, an album can be attached to your summer or a vacation. Once you get order, music doesn't have that same attachment and meaning to most of us.

Hence, a band breaking out doesn't have the same effect on a 40 year old as it does a 15 year old.

I get that I might go be part of it but I'd just like to see a band come up like GNR did, see it happening. Like the way Steven Tyler had to advise Izzy. Imagine Slash having to step in to save some young guitarist whose record just sold 30 mil. Don't quit the band you can make it.

Like Axl handing the reins over to some up and coming guy like this guy is insane!

I thought The Strokes paved the way for The White Stripes. I don't believe they reached commercial success until Elephant, Is This It? came out in 2001 and turned Garage Rock Revival into a household name.

Not exactly.

The Stripes formed in '97, and their first big success was with White Blood Cells in '01.

The Strokes and The Stripes came out of the woodwork together. But I'd argue the Stripes became 'bigger' than the Strokes.