Anyone else fucking tired of superhero movies?

arnold layne

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adore Tom Hardy's portrayal of Bane and Anne Hathaway in that catsuit and the concept of a humanistic meditated terror network gripping Gotham City; but how Bane was able to travel outside the terrorzone to place Wayne in that prison, Wayne's cringey escape, the ambiguity regarding the essentially paedophilic affection of Bane for Talia when in reality their bond dates back to her childhood, and ultimately his survival of an atomic bomb in trying to salvage Gotham were all highly questionable plot elements. Truthfully its the most ineffective finale to a series ever as it raises more questions than it answers. I think Nolan has to be intent on an expansion.

I think the whole prison thing was laughable and there were so many plot holes it's unreal. That said I also thought the ending of The Dark Knight was pretty silly. The whole thing with the two boats and the bombs was beyond daft as far as I see it. I mean seriously? I would have pushed the detonator in a heartbeat. :shrugs:

Edited by Dazey

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Well the thing was on auto pilot so he must have jumped out before he went over the sea.

I believe he states that 'There is no auto pilot' or something to that effect to Hatthaway when she asks? And if auto pilot was in operation, why didn't he simply manually direct its computer as oppose to personally controlling the technology? Or maybe Wayne simply wanted to fake his own death to lead the life Alfred had always been envisaging?

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think the whole prison thing was laughable and there were so many plot holes it's unreal. That said I also thought the ending of The Dark Knight was pretty silly. The whole thing with the two boats and the bombs was beyond daft as far as I see it. I mean seriously? I would have pushed the detonator in a heartbeat. :shrugs:

I liked the idea of Wayne recapturing his spirit in a state of hell but the rapidness and simplicity of the process was silly. There was never a sense of immense despair.

It's been a while since I formally watched DK but I actually liked that 'Good'-'Bad' anaology with the boats. I think it's a really possible scenario in the context of Gotham, conflicting senses of morality where morality ultimately prevails in an immense situation of crisis/endgame.

I totally agree on Burton's first Batman. It created that eery and sinister Gotham platform depicted in the graphic novels. That said it would have been better suited as 'The Joker' than a Batman installment. Nicholson really steals the show. Which beggars the question; Nicholson or Ledger's portrayal of the character?

It's been a while since I formally watched DK but I actually liked that 'Good'-'Bad' anaology with the boats. I think it's a really possible scenario in the context of Gotham, conflicting senses of morality where morality ultimately prevails in an immense situation of crisis/endgame.

Well I guess I'm just a cynical fucker who lacks your faith in humanity because if I was on a boat with a detonator in hand and somebody said there's a boat full of convicts in the same situation ready to blow me up I wouldn't think twice. :lol:

I totally agree on Burton's first Batman. It created that eery and sinister Gotham platform depicted in the graphic novels. That said it would have been better suited as 'The Joker' than a Batman installment. Nicholson really steals the show. Which beggars the question; Nicholson or Ledger's portrayal of the character?

Ledger, no doubt about it. I actually prefer Burton's stylistic take on the universe but Ledger's Joker was the best.

Edited by Dazey

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

In the end montage, Lucius Fox discovered that the autopilot worked. But yes I believe he wanted to fake his own death so he can move on.

Amazing, I totally missed that aspect of the film, I must have switched off amidst the happiness of Batman's survival. It really leaves an amazing potential now that Wayne is supposedly dead, he can return as the Batman with intenstified speculation regarding his true identity as the obvious candidate isn't alive. I think Robin is going to maintain the Batman legacy (literally adopting the role of the Batman if necessary) in Gotham but desparately reach out to Wayne when he faces a crisis that demands the latter's astuteness. Either in formally training Robin to trully become the Batman like Neeson's character did with Wayne or accept an understudy role, that simply won't reflect the really camp Boy Wonder portrayal of Schumacher or elements of the comics.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Ledger, no doubt about it. I actually prefer Burton's stylistic take on the universe but Ledger's Joker was the best.

Me too. Nicholson's was amazing in its own way but it sometimes comes off as an ego trip. I love the sheer arrogance of the character but his dementedness, which The Joker is supposed to be gripped by, comes off as contrived to the unassuming, conflicted Ledger Joker, which seemed to reflect the actual troubled lifestyle of the actor. Ledger seemed to literally become The Joker in a really implicit and remarkable way, he captured the graphic novels perfectly.

Burton's Batman aged terribly but I have a softspot for Batman Returns since it was the first movie I ever saw in theaters.

Nah, it's pretty timeless as it wasn't trying to exist in the real world so it's not dated as far as I see it. Also fucking hell that makes me feel old! :o The first movie I saw in a theatre was Ghostbusters in 1984. :lol:

Burton's Batman aged terribly but I have a softspot for Batman Returns since it was the first movie I ever saw in theaters.

Nah, it's pretty timeless as it wasn't trying to exist in the real world so it's not dated as far as I see it. Also fucking hell that makes me feel old! :o The first movie I saw in a theatre was Ghostbusters in 1984. :lol:

There's some cheesy 80's shit throughout the film.

There's some cheesy 80's shit throughout the film.

There is? What parts do you mean?

I'm fucking tired of your threads. But like superhero movies they don't seem to be coming to an end either. Stop whining.

Again you add nothing to the thread. Your no better than any whiner here.

I am really hoping that The Dark Knight Rises isn't the end, because i saw that Midnight pre release here and most of the audience was underwhelmed by this being the ending of Nolans Batman story. I felt completely underwhelmed by its slow pace and questionable if any at all real ending. I'm not sure if im going to add it to the other 2 nolan films i have on dvd.

Edited by SuperBlaine

I loved The Dark Knight Rises.

If you're so tired of them don't watch them. Or make your own movie.

I don't care much for them either, but I'm also not whining about it.

Pretty much this. I'm not big on superhero movies so I don't watch them for the most part. Easy solution.

I would watch them on my own time. I did that for the Marvel films. Especially since my Town Hall charges 2 bucks for films at the end of their theatrical run.

$2? Not a bad price for a movie - you can't even rent that cheap anymore. I usually wait for the DVD/Blu-ray to come out. I've only seen a handful of the many superhero movies that have come out the past decade. I do see the escapist appeal, but they aren't for me. I doubt I'll see the new Spider-Man, haven't seen The Avengers, but I'll get The Dark Knight Rises because I've enjoyed the Nolan movies so far.

The first movie I saw in a theater was Jurassic Park 3 in 2001. :P

The first movie I saw in a theater was Jurassic Park 3 in 2001. :P

*hangs self* :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nah, it's pretty timeless as it wasn't trying to exist in the real world so it's not dated as far as I see it. Also fucking hell that makes me feel old! :o The first movie I saw in a theatre was Ghostbusters in 1984.

The first movie I saw in a theater was Jurassic Park 3 in 2001.

*hangs self* :cry: :cry: :cry:

The first film I remember seeing in a theatre was either the Muppets Movie or Flying High (hmmm, my parents had wildly varying tastes when it came to films. :lol:). Not sure which one came out first but they were around 1980 I think. So now I feel ancient. :(