It's 5'O Clock Somewhere as a GNR Album

bacardimayne

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people would agree that Axl has worked with many musicians that had the potential of giving Axl Rose a proper comeback, whether under the GNR stylings or not. People have their different opinions on who could have catipulted Axl to that comeback: whether it be Finck, Forttus, Buckethead, Brain. I think at the end of the day the piecemeal recording sessions prohibited the full potential that this band could have had under various lineups.

Slash is now recording his albums live and a with a full band, and there is something that just swings about that which is lacking on CD. Unfortunately without a good and proper singer, a lot of hard work failed to meet its potential as well.

I think many fans of Asba were hopeful that he could do for Guns what he did for Crue. Get them to make a record, with at least a single that hit close to their hey day... ex. Saints of L.A. But three almost four years after he joined the band, nothing has been worked on besides him sending demos to Axl which were not enough to get Axl working on them. And with his tall tails, failed promisses, and generic rockstar salesmanship he has accomplished nothing but making himself the target for a lot of heat.

It's a strange record, for sure. But it's far from terrible.

I think we can all agree in some way, or form -- Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Axl have released musical ideas in the last 15 years that could have been implemented on a GN'R record. It's a shame. You can see the talent in all those guys, and trace where Appetite came from. Regrettably, it never resulted in a comeback. I feel as though the world will always welcome a return-to-form, GN'R single. The music of those guys will last forever.

I've been disappointed with Slash's writing/music since leaving Guns until his 2010 'Slash' record. I reckon that record made Axl jump outta bed. For Axl I think its no longer about Slash's music not inspiring him, or never wanting to mend the relationship (he must deep down want to resolve it). It's about power and control.

I've been disappointed with Slash's writing/music since leaving Guns until his 2010 'Slash' record. I reckon that record made Axl jump outta bed. For Axl I think its no longer about Slash's music not inspiring him, or never wanting to mend the relationship (he must deep down want to resolve it). It's about power and control.

That song with Ozzy was quite the dig, but no more a dig than cancer / shut up and sing. I really liked that album when it came out, unfortunately it hasn't stood the test of time for my playlist. I just think the whole revolving singers thing kept it from being so, although I loved the idea, and at first thought it was awesome.

In January 1994 Slash presented Axl with DATS of songs he later worked up into Snakepit. The important question is, how highly developed were the DATS, how like/unlike the finished Snakepit record were they. We know Dover wrote most of the lyrics and Dover didn't arrive until after the demos had been rejected, after, Slash had made the decision to turn them into a solo record (which was about, late summer 1994). So that automatically removes most of the lyrics from the equation. Axl is found lying therefore as, Axl insists that he was told what to sing which presupposes that Slash had written the lyrics. Why would Slash present Axl with lyrics only to, a few months later, allow Eric Dover to write completely new lyrics. Answer: there were no lyrics and Axl is lying.

For the love of God, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Maybe second, behind those that backtracked exactly six weeks from March 6th, 2007, saying "It's January 27th! Surely, Axl is on his way in his Lambo to Geffen offices by their 5 PM office closing to ensure the proper six week turnaround. It's complete insanity, picking people's words apart, word for word. It's a generalization that is by and large the way the circumstances were presented. Ugh.

But it wouldn't be a case of i5ocs being plonked out as a gnr record. I5OCS has its problems, I think most people accept that; topping that list of problems would be both the lyrics and singing. Guess what would happen if it was a gnr record? Dover wouldn't be writing the lyrics and singing. Someone called W. Axl Rose would be.

Its funny how people here fail to realize this as they ae trashing the lyrics and singing......lol

It really amazes me that there are people here who think It's 5'O Clock Somewhere should have been a GNR album and that Axl was being an outright cunt for rejecting it.

Exactly. It's unlistenable without Stephanie Seymour Hip-Hop Piano Ballads.

So you think songs like Be the Ball and Good to Be Alive would have been well received as GNR songs?

More so than oh my god and silkworms

It really amazes me that there are people here who think It's 5'O Clock Somewhere should have been a GNR album and that Axl was being an outright cunt for rejecting it.

So you think songs like Be the Ball and Good to Be Alive would have been well received as GNR songs?

Cute, but we're not talking about CD.

How are you gonnà say that when the title of this thread is begging to compare the two since CD is GnRs most recent release?

How are you gonnà say that when the title of this thread is begging to compare the two since CD is GnRs most recent release?

I don't consider CD a GNR album, so it's irrelevant to this discussion. I never said CD would have been a successful follow-up to the Illusions, which is what this thread is about.

I don't consider CD a GNR album, so it's irrelevant to this discussion. I never said CD would have been a successful follow-up to the Illusions, which is what this thread is about.

Yeah but silkworms and oh my god were some of the earliest indications of gnr's sound since their re-emergence, and they were panned when they debuted live. I'm sure anything on 5'+clock or aint life grand would have been better received. Whether or not you consider cd a gnr recors is ironic, but not really relevant

Yeah but silkworms and oh my god were some of the earliest indications of gnr's sound since their re-emergence, and they were panned when they debuted live. I'm sure anything on 5'+clock or aint life grand would have been better received. Whether or not you consider cd a gnr recors is ironic, but not really relevant

Why do you continue to bring up Axl's work? It's completely irrelevant to this discussion. My point in the original post is that I don't think I5OCS would have been GNR's savior album that would have returned them to relevancy. I never once said I thought OMG, Silkworms, or CD would have been any different. Don't get me wrong, I think they're (minus Silkworms) far and away superior to the Snakepit releases, but they wouldn't have been well received by the GNR crowd.

Edited by bacardimayne

In January 1994 Slash presented Axl with DATS of songs he later worked up into Snakepit. The important question is, how highly developed were the DATS, how like/unlike the finished Snakepit record were they. We know Dover wrote most of the lyrics and Dover didn't arrive until after the demos had been rejected, after, Slash had made the decision to turn them into a solo record (which was about, late summer 1994). So that automatically removes most of the lyrics from the equation. Axl is found lying therefore as, Axl insists that he was told what to sing which presupposes that Slash had written the lyrics. Why would Slash present Axl with lyrics only to, a few months later, allow Eric Dover to write completely new lyrics. Answer: there were no lyrics and Axl is lying.

For the love of God, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Maybe second, behind those that backtracked exactly six weeks from March 6th, 2007, saying "It's January 27th! Surely, Axl is on his way in his Lambo to Geffen offices by their 5 PM office closing to ensure the proper six week turnaround. It's complete insanity, picking people's words apart, word for word. It's a generalization that is by and large the way the circumstances were presented. Ugh.

FACT: Axl stated that he was told what to sing - his words.

FACT: Slash and Dover wrote the lyrics to I50CS after the songs had been rejected, when Slash had already decided to turn them into solo project.

So, unless there is some mysterious other lyrics we do not know about, Axl is lying.

I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve...That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off

- Axl

We found ourselves a singer--Eric Dover of Jellyfish--who fit the bill well enough at the time. He and I wrote lyrics for all twelve tracks and I think it's pretty easy to tell which songs he wrote and which ones I wrote; All of my songs are directed at one person...Though no one picked up on it at the time. I used that record as an opportunity to vent a lot of shit that I needed to get off my chest.

- Slash.

Eric Dover songwriting credits on It's Five O' Clock Somewhere: 11/14 (the exceptions being, Gilby's Monkey Chow, the Instrumental Jizz da Pit and Be the Ball).

Edited by DieselDaisy