It's 5'O Clock Somewhere as a GNR Album

bacardimayne

''No lyrics''. Where are these lyrics going to come from Yesterdaze?

According to Axl, not him. I'm guessing he was suggesting Slash wanted that responsibility.

and...

They didn't come from him. You're splitting hairs over nothing. Apparently, some music was done to some extent with lyrics to be completed. According to Axl, his job was to sing what was presented to him, whether it was when the music was first presented to him in January 1994 or in later stages of completion. From Axl's statements, I surmise that Slash wanted control, not necessarily to write lyrics, but that Axl not write them. Whether Slash wanted to delegate them to the rest of the band is another matter. From Axl's words, Slash was trying to present what would be a new album that he was solely in control of, with performances of the other members of the band at his (Slash's) direction.

Please. Someone back me up here.

Edited by Yesterdaze

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to believe that Slash vetoed Axl from writing the lyrics. I refuse to believe it as, with Stradlin gone, there was no other conduit for writing these lyrics. If you have read interviews with Slash during this period you will see that he was desperate to get guns re-started again. The fastest way of stalling that process would be, stopping your main lyricist from writing lyrics.

I've read every Slash interview from the mid 90's. Slash played both sides, stating that he'd like to see GN'R return, but conditionally. He wanted nothing of Axl's grand ideas, thus his dragging his heels with his demands. Of course, Axl wanted control as well. Neither of us were there, it's what we piece together. The fact is, regardless of whether or not Slash told Axl he couldn't write lyrics, it's transparent that Slash was on a power play. Axl called his bluff and Slash and his career until 2003 unraveled before our eyes. No one wanted them to kick the world's ass in 1996 more than your's truly.

Edited by Yesterdaze

I read the ''Ax wanted to make Pearl Jam and NIN shit' quotes at the time. I could very well imagine Slash being quite forceful on wanting to make a more bluesy hard rocking album but - I am sorry - I cannot see Slash stopping Axl from writing the lyrics. It doesn't even make sense from the perspective of, what Slash wanted to achieve. It would just leave, twelve instrumentals, as the only other main lyricist (Stradlin) was now gone!

It could have been said in an off-handed way out of anger and Axl used the opportunity to express it as a serious demand. Either way, it matters not. The point is, Slash wanted control, reducing Axl's input. Slash didn't want bells and whistles, elaborate and expensive videos, big shows in stadiums. Axl's vision was totally opposite. Slash felt he had to take a stand and the only way to accomplish that was to develop the music, hand it over and say "This is it, how it's going to sound whether you like it or not."

A better example is the first time a married couple says the "d" word. Once it's said, it can't be taken back, will never be forgotten and will be brought up when adventageous to the offended.

Edited by Yesterdaze

"I thought it was exactly what I thought it would sound like," he said. "It was very indicative of what I thought he would do. So it was absolutely no surprise. 'Cause we had sort of like the Guns N' Roses sound, which was just a straight-ahead rock band, and along the way Axl started to get very sort of techno, or had a lot of techno influences. And when I say that I mean like synthesizers and a lot of digital influence. And of course we sort of kept an old-school approach, and I think besides everything else musically, we sort of went off in different directions. And this record of Axl's is definitely very digital and very Pro-Tool and very synthesized - whatever sounds are augmented by outside sources." Slash actually still was in GNR when the concept for Chinese Democracy was in its infancy stage but he said, "We didn't really do all that much."

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/03/12/13212971.html

"I thought it was exactly what I thought it would sound like," he said. "It was very indicative of what I thought he would do. So it was absolutely no surprise. 'Cause we had sort of like the Guns N' Roses sound, which was just a straight-ahead rock band, and along the way Axl started to get very sort of techno, or had a lot of techno influences. And when I say that I mean like synthesizers and a lot of digital influence. And of course we sort of kept an old-school approach, and I think besides everything else musically, we sort of went off in different directions. And this record of Axl's is definitely very digital and very Pro-Tool and very synthesized - whatever sounds are augmented by outside sources." Slash actually still was in GNR when the concept for Chinese Democracy was in its infancy stage but he said, "We didn't really do all that much."

http://www.torontosu...2/13212971.html

Techno ? where is techno influence on Chinese Democracy ? Slash has hard time to confess that CD is miles better then anything he`s done and he knows jackshit what he`s talking about

It isn't the best description of democracy I have ever heard, I will give you that. I think, even the fact that Slash has a hard time describing the influences on Democracy, shows how Axl and Slash could never work together again. The two are simply in completely different musical worlds. Axl hasn't been interested in a 1970s raw - in a studio, thiirty days later - record since Appetite. He likes overdubs and sitting on records until hell freezes over. Slash simply couldn't deal with Axl's work methods. Slash likes to record, release, tour in cycles. Any music post-1979 was completely lost on Slash. Axl took in the mid-90s rock movement, he took in things like grunge and industrial and nu-metal.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Techno ? where is techno influence on Chinese Democracy ? Slash has hard time to confess that CD is miles better then anything he`s done and he knows jackshit what he`s talking about

Chinese Democracy <<<<< Contraband among others.

Chinese Democracy <<<<< Contraband among others.

No fucking way Contraband is Slash`s best post GNR album but it still can`t hold candle to Chinese Democracy

Exactly. The guy in the band, working with Axl, who heard songs that you haven't........he knows jackshit about it. You know more about music than somebody who has been making a living in the industry for 25 years and who is highly respected by his peers.

Just because you love an album doesn't mean that said album is better than other band's albums. It just means YOU like it more. I think CD is way better than any Slash album. But my head isn't so far up Axl's ass that I can't accept reality. And reality is that VR outsold GnR, had more hits, win bigger awards and was generally better accepted.

And again, while imo CD is much better than anything Slash has released, I respect him for what he helped GnR accomplish, and that he regularly puts out albums for his fans to enjoy. Something Axl doesn't do.

''No lyrics''. Where are these lyrics going to come from Yesterdaze?

According to Axl, not him. I'm guessing he was suggesting Slash wanted that responsibility.

and...

They didn't come from him. You're splitting hairs over nothing. Apparently, some music was done to some extent with lyrics to be completed. According to Axl, his job was to sing what was presented to him, whether it was when the music was first presented to him in January 1994 or in later stages of completion. From Axl's statements, I surmise that Slash wanted control, not necessarily to write lyrics, but that Axl not write them. Whether Slash wanted to delegate them to the rest of the band is another matter. From Axl's words, Slash was trying to present what would be a new album that he was solely in control of, with performances of the other members of the band at his (Slash's) direction.

Please. Someone back me up here.

Makes perfect sense to me.

DieselDaisy is quite possibly a bigger cupcake than BBA.

Exactly. The guy in the band, working with Axl, who heard songs that you haven't........he knows jackshit about it. You know more about music than somebody who has been making a living in the industry for 25 years and who is highly respected by his peers.

Just because you love an album doesn't mean that said album is better than other band's albums. It just means YOU like it more. I think CD is way better than any Slash album. But my head isn't so far up Axl's ass that I can't accept reality. And reality is that VR outsold GnR, had more hits, win bigger awards and was generally better accepted.

And again, while imo CD is much better than anything Slash has released, I respect him for what he helped GnR accomplish, and that he regularly puts out albums for his fans to enjoy. Something Axl doesn't do.

Holy shit here comes Groghan with his deluded blabbering again hey bud you must come up with better arguements you`re repaeting same shit over and over again have you run out of ideas ? where did I say that CD is better then other bands` albums ? where did I downplay Slash`s contributions to GNR ? do you like pulling things outta your ass ? you read way too much into my posts get a grip and stop obsessing over my posts so saying that Chinese Democracy is better then anything Slash has ever done means that I`m downplaying Slash`s contributions to the band ? only in GNR nerdland I don`t give a shit how many albums he puts for his fans to enjoy half of your gibberish is n`t even related to what I orignally wrote

Edited by Son of a Guns

where did I downplay Slash`s contributions to GNR ? do you like pulling things outta your ass ?

Looking at your past posts on any Slash related thread, most of them are hatred towards anything Slash does, releases etc. But here is a typical post of yours reg. the GNR era.

Son of a guns on Slash's input on Estranged:

Never like Bloated wankfest AKA Estranged

you are so full of shit man...

Edited by izzydoezit

where did I downplay Slash`s contributions to GNR ? do you like pulling things outta your ass ?

Looking at your past posts on any Slash related thread, most of them are hatred towards anything Slash does, releases etc. But here is a typical post of yours reg. the GNR era.

Son of a guns on Slash's input on Estranged:

Never like Bloated wankfest AKA Estranged

you are so full of shit man...

You`re the last one who should be telling me that all my posts are full of hatred ( which is bullshit ) towards Slash when you write shitloads of hateful tirades against Axl. Spare me of your holier then though bullshit please the fact that I don`t like Estranged ( never did never will ) does n`t mean I detest Slash I don`t worship him and don`t think he is as saint as he made himself out to be come on are you such thin skinned that you can`t handle that someone criticizes your hero ? so talking shit about Axl is justified and criticizing Slash is n`t ? can we safely assume that we deal with double standards and hypocricy ?

Edited by Son of a Guns

Agreed, Son of a guns.

Izzydoezit, Why is he full of shit? So he didn't like Estranged solo, does that mean he downplays Slash contributions? Why?

Cause, I didn't like Estranged and NR till recently. Now I do, but to me those songs and solo's were too bloated as well. I like the faster tracks on those albums more or I used to. Does that mean I am downplaying Slash contributions, just because those long solo's and slow songs were not my thing? Got another one, SCOM had to grow on me as well. If anything I probably am a bigger fan of Izzy, than Axl or Slash. But that doesn't mean downplaying, it's just is about taste.

Just as some can't handle critic on Axl, some can't handle that about Slash, it's silly. Both are not saints, and not everything they do or have done is free from giving critic on.

Agreed, Son of a guns.

Izzydoezit, Why is he full of shit? So he didn't like Estranged solo, does that mean he downplays Slash contributions? Why?

Cause, I didn't like Estranged and NR till recently. Now I do, but to me those songs and solo's were too bloated as well. I like the faster tracks on those albums more or I used to. Does that mean I am downplaying Slash contributions, just because those long solo's and slow songs were not my thing? Got another one, SCOM had to grow on me as well. If anything I probably am a bigger fan of Izzy, than Axl or Slash. But that doesn't mean downplaying, it's just is about taste.

Just as some can't handle critic on Axl, some can't handle that about Slash, it's silly. Both are not saints, and not everything they do or have done is free from giving critic on.

It`s not about disliking solos I don`t like the whole song lyrics, melodies I can`t get in it it`s too bloated long winded and never ends drags forever