It's 5'O Clock Somewhere as a GNR Album

bacardimayne

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's no way I5S in it's entirety would have been the next GN'R album. Considering they're all Slash songs, maybe 2 or 3 of them would have been chosen. And the ones that would have been chosen probably wouldn't sound anything like they do on I5S

I like TSI and it tanked, but I liked it way better than it's 5 O'clock... And that was when I was ten.

The legacy of GNR is a monumental failure of all parties who let their own asses get in the way instead of producing great art. Their vested interests in their own ego's, drugs, and alcohol killed what could have been the greatest band of all time.

5 Would have tanked. As far as Slash's attempts to return to the simple rock AFD roots, it was a failure at best.

Edited by jimb0

Contraband would have been an amazing return to form for Guns 'N' Roses. It's another tiring 'what if'. But the groundwork laid out by Duff, Slash, Matt, and Izzy was tight, constrictive, modern rock 'n' roll music with crunching riffs, bass lines, and drumming. If Axl, and Izzy joined the production full-time -- it would have been a worthy creative successor to Use Your Illusion.

Only Fall to Pieces sounds like it could be GNR theseems like a band with no real creative ideas.

I hear this often. I guess because GN'R fans hear "Sweet Child O' Mine" in the verses of "Fall To Pieces". That, and Matt's extremely obvious, ballad drumming.

I'm more of a music person than a lyrics/vocals person. So when I listen to the riffs, choruses, and bass lines in "Do It For The Kids", "Slither", and "You Got No Right" -- I hear a modern blend of Appetite, with tacit acknowledgement of UYI's higher ambitions. "You Got No Right" is Velvet Revolver's best ballad. It easily could have gotten on the second half of Use Your Illusion 2.

I like the album, but only a couple of songs, were good enough to be on the next GNR album. It is still frustrating to know, that those songs could also have been so much better. Especially the lyrics and voice.

Think it's ok, that it is a Snakepit album. Not good enough for GNR, but good enough to make an album out of it.

Edited by MBRose

Only Fall to Pieces sounds like it could be GNR theseems like a band with no real creative ideas.

I hear this often. I guess because GN'R fans hear "Sweet Child O' Mine" in the verses of "Fall To Pieces". That, and Matt's extremely obvious, ballad drumming.

I'm more of a music person than a lyrics/vocals person. So when I listen to the riffs, choruses, and bass lines in "Do It For The Kids", "Slither", and "You Got No Right" -- I hear a modern blend of Appetite, with tacit acknowledgement of UYI's higher ambitions. "You Got No Right" is Velvet Revolver's best ballad. It easily could have gotten on the second half of Use Your Illusion 2.

They are kind of like the filler on UYI. But none of them are a Jungle, PC, SCOM or Nov Rain or even YCBM. But no doubt they had potentiak, add some izzy solo songs and get them to work on it. However slash and izzy are done whereas Axl seems to want to make the songs all epics.

It's more because it uses the same chord progression. It's actually way more like Yesterdays than SCOM, though.

It's more because it uses the same chord progression. It's actually way more like Yesterdays than SCOM, though.

I always thought it was like Dont Cry. Gravedancer also could be GNR.

What they couldnt do is SOD or Madgascar not to mention Shacklers or ITW.

Edited by wasted

Neither Can I

Dime Store Rock

Beggars & Hangers-On

Good To Be Alive

What Do You Want To Be

Monkey Chow

Soma City Ward

Jizz Da Pit

Lower

Take it Away

Doing Fine

Be The Ball

I Hate Everybody (But You)

Back And Forth Again

__

Add to those songs Axl's vocals, lyrics and arrangements plus some changes from Izzy and Duff and you have good Gn'R songs IMO.

It really amazes me that there are people here who think It's 5'O Clock Somewhere should have been a GNR album and that Axl was being an outright cunt for rejecting it. Really, it's 1996. The band hasn't released anything in five years (TSI doesn't count). Based on the wait, the general public is expecting another huge album chock full of hits. Possibly another double album even. Five years is a long time. Instead, they'd have gotten a single-disc full of songs like Jizz Da Pit and Good to Be Alive (Really, do people think these stand up to album tracks like It's So Easy and 14 Years?).

And you can go "oh but if GNR had recorded it it would have been so much better". Yeah, but wasn't Slash entirely against any input from Axl? Isn't this situation where the "shut up and sing" quote stems from? So basically, the only difference would have been the lyrics and the voice singing it. Still not enough to take songs like Good to Be Alive and make them good. The only song on I5OCS that had a chance at becoming a GNR-worthy hit was Beggars & Hangers-On.

To summarize, I think that If GNR had released It's 5'O Clock Somewhere as an official GNR album, it would have tanked hard, and the band would never have recovered. I'm not saying it's not preferable to what happened, but it just makes me laugh that some people here think Snakepit would have saved GNR and been the next AFD.

So let me get this straight; you prefer the band imploding, a 17 year wait, and cd tanking to one bad gnr album and a 5yr wait? Because everything you said happened w democracy. It tanked, 17 yrs was a lot longer than 5, and we now have a band that doesn't exist, except as a karaoke/cover/tribute band to themselves?

It really amazes me that there are people here who think It's 5'O Clock Somewhere should have been a GNR album and that Axl was being an outright cunt for rejecting it. Really, it's 1996. The band hasn't released anything in five years (TSI doesn't count). Based on the wait, the general public is expecting another huge album chock full of hits. Possibly another double album even. Five years is a long time. Instead, they'd have gotten a single-disc full of songs like Jizz Da Pit and Good to Be Alive (Really, do people think these stand up to album tracks like It's So Easy and 14 Years?).

And you can go "oh but if GNR had recorded it it would have been so much better". Yeah, but wasn't Slash entirely against any input from Axl? Isn't this situation where the "shut up and sing" quote stems from? So basically, the only difference would have been the lyrics and the voice singing it. Still not enough to take songs like Good to Be Alive and make them good. The only song on I5OCS that had a chance at becoming a GNR-worthy hit was Beggars & Hangers-On.

To summarize, I think that If GNR had released It's 5'O Clock Somewhere as an official GNR album, it would have tanked hard, and the band would never have recovered. I'm not saying it's not preferable to what happened, but it just makes me laugh that some people here think Snakepit would have saved GNR and been the next AFD.

So let me get this straight; you prefer the band imploding, a 17 year wait, and cd tanking to one bad gnr album and a 5yr wait? Because everything you said happened w democracy. It tanked, 17 yrs was a lot longer than 5, and we now have a band that doesn't exist, except as a karaoke/cover/tribute band to themselves?

I Hate Everyone and Shuffle it All with This I Love would have carried them a year or two.

I actually like the epic wait and epic album CD is. Slash has had nothing to say since the first snakwpit. Not sure what can Axl say now after CD.

Neither Can I

Dime Store Rock

Beggars & Hangers-On

Good To Be Alive

What Do You Want To Be

Monkey Chow

Soma City Ward

Jizz Da Pit

Lower

Take it Away

Doing Fine

Be The Ball

I Hate Everybody (But You)

Back And Forth Again

__

Add to those songs Axl's vocals, lyrics and arrangements plus some changes from Izzy and Duff and you have good Gn'R songs IMO.

See the problem is, with some of those songs, they're not bad songs at all, but Be the Ball for example. I love it, but I just don't see it as a GNR song. It doesn't sound like GNR at all. It wouldn't have gotten over well with the public.

Good to Be Alive is just awful in every way.

Edited by bacardimayne