What do you think of bands like Black Veil Brides, Steel Panther and modern glam metal bands?

Towelie

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

Glam is good when represented by David Bowie, T Rex and The NY Dolls. For my money, Marc Bolan is basically the beginning and the end of glam, he was the genuine ticket, pretty, cool, lairy, glam but then glam in a way that didn't mean that he looked like a total poof. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it was just like gentle androgyny.

Also, one thing about glam that escaped a lot of people, mostly America, is that the idea with glam is that they've got to be pretty boys and that sort of...pulls it off. When you have these massive broad shouldered Frankensteins it sort of ruins it a bit, glam was like an offshoot of the whole beautiful people scene in the 60s, it took it's cues from that and it weren't about some of these big ugly monsters dressed up as birds, frightening the life out of fans and critics alike :lol: I suppose Arthur Kane was a bit like that but within the framework of The Dolls and with the padding of Johnny T, Needles Nolan, David Johansen and Syl he kinda...got assimilated into the pack.

But yeah, Marc Bolan all day long. Bolan and Bowie were sort of like...young chancers on the tail-end of the whole flower power scene who had a serious will for fame and an creative drive that pulled themselves up out of that shit and gave the 70s it's first little identity badge. Marc Bolan is pure sex committed to tape :wub:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Never understood why people get so angry about music they don't like. It is awesome that we have so many different types of music to choose from.

I dunno, i think it can be quite positive, especially if it makes em go out and be creative, at the risk of sounding trite, "anger is an energy" :lol: Use it, go out and do something with it and a lot positive can come. A lot of music and/or musical movements have come about as a reaction or a certain anger towards the current state at the time. In fact every great band has a kind of...y'know, they're anti-something. I agree that it's awesome that we have so many different types of music but end of the day it's just music, isn't it? It's not like...hating a political school of thought or a race or something, i think it's kinda healthy, shows a certain passion, y'know? When you have a situation where everybodys accepting of everything, whether they like or dislike it, it's sort of like...it just becomes a bit of a mothers meet, y'know? I think it's important for people that are passionate about something to be free to stand up and go "fuck this, this is bullshit, i ain't havin' this!" and say so in no uncertain terms.

I mean i like the idea of people not have predudices but thats more important in relation to like...i dunno, there are no absolutes, y'know? Sometimes a bit of extreme predudice is good for the soul. It's just unnatural to be THAT accepting, i'm sure some people are but like...say i or you can't stand a particular kind of music but when we're asked, in the interest of propriety we just go "it's not my particular thing but i'm accepting of it, it's cool, it's OK" you're sort of lying in a way, aren't you? We're human beings and we have extreme emotional passionate responses sometimes, i think it's important to guard against a tendency to turn culture into a low flatline hum where everything is the same and thats the sort of direction you end up heading in with that stuff.

Also, it goes somewhere, y'know? Like, for example, the above is a response to a question, the "it's not my particular thing" line but like, say the same question is posed to somebody else and they're response is "God, it's a load of shit, it's awful, it's dreadful, i can't stand it" OK, well, what can't you stand about it, what would you do different, what do you think it lacks, y'know....questions come up as a result of it, you gain an understanding of a particular person and/or their intentions and likes and dislikes, a discourse begins whereas if everyones just accepting all the time then....well, it's almost like avoiding addressing something? After a while, one would begin to wonder if the person has anything to say at all.

I'm against this idea of accepting anything, it saps things of passion, when there is confrontation then there is passion so everybodys passionate about representing their thing in the best way possible whereas if everyones accepting of everything then you end up with bands that sound like Coldplay :lol:

We're human beings and human beings are not accepting of everything, we like and dislike things, sometimes quite passionately. Lifes a lot simpler than we make it, you either like something or you don't like it, accepting, what is accepting really supposed to mean? I mean it's not up to you to accept or not accept something really, it exists already, it's a foregone conclusion, all you can do really is like it or dislike it or just not have an opinion on it, accepting is...y'know, as long as you ain't taking out contracts, thats accepting enough :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

• 2 weeks later...