John Lydon going to China

wasted

Guest Len B'stard

Their new uk dates dont include London. Bringing civilisation to the barbarians again i suppose :lol: (the north i mean, not the chinese).

Guest Len B'stard

I say that cuz it was a section in The Great Rock n Roll Swindle, Malcolm McLarens plan for world domination in which he considered playing to the southern parts of America as 'bringing civilisation to the barbarians' but John loves you lot, Northerners i mean, he's forever like...he don't make it a point of coming to London necessarily, especially if he's had recent tour dates there, you'd expect it to be a granted but it isn't, like in this tour he's sticking specifically to 'oop north'.

Load of fuckin' bollocks if you ask me, he's from London, he should always do London :) Malcolm described anything North of Watford as bumblebee land. "Ugh, no, i didn't go to any of those ghastly places!" :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I dunno, embarassing in what respect? Thing about John is, he's always done what he's wanted and he's never not been pilloried for it. To which i suppose you can say, thats not the straightest of assessments because he's something of an icon and has been for quite a while but it's always been a sort of...romance for what he once was and never respect for what he's doing in the time he's doing it. Pistols were hated until they broke up, then PiL came out and it was a load of racket and now they're considered this great amazing seminal band but like...whatever he's doing in the moment, he's always getting pilloried for it, being accused of selling out or...y'know, any number of things.

It's difficult to accuse John of selling out because first of all, he's never made no bones about wanting to get paid for his work, it's never been some great anti-money thing with The Pistols or John, quite the opposite in fact. Also, he's never really aligned himself with any ideals other than those of his own construct. I mean it's nothing new, is it, he's done Mountain Dew ads, Top of the Pops, Jukebox Jury, all sorts.

And he made for some great television and ended up fucking off when he couldn't be bothered. It's hard to accuse someone who made the song This is Not a Love Song of selling out, it's hard to accuse someone whoose first band in some quarters is considered some massive premeditated attempt to swindle money out of record companies of selling out.

I suppose the best way would be to ask you, in what sense did you think it was embarassing? What, undignified or..., i dunno, you tell me.

Guest Len B'stard

I've not seen the show, no, cept the one John was in and...see, everything you've mentioned is what i find brilliant about Johns being there, it's the big 'oh no, you mustn't!', well why not? Thats John all over to me.

Stickin' Johnny Lydon in there with Jordan and Peter Andre and Kerry Katona, it's just fabulous, i literally can't think of any better place to put Johnny Rotten. What, at an old punk reunion standing next to Jimmy Pursey and Mick Jones comparing dental work? Or at some horrible award show, getting the 'inspiration award' and a little spray painted figureine to put in his toilet? Or weeping at Malcolms funeral? Fuck that, stick him on a Reality TV Show.

Y'know what i think? I think it's about age. I think once our heroes crack 40 and they ain't like, skinny 19 yr old pretty boys we get a bit embarassed by the sight of em and just wish to all hell that they'd just stay in their holes so we can listen to Nevermind the Bollocks for the 40 millionth time and dream about this idea we have in our head, fuck that, bring em out, warts, beer guts and all. Fat, 50 and back! I love it, there's just something so cheap and horrible about it all...lurid, garish...just like The Sex Pistols were :lol:

And also, these trips to the telly, I'm a Celeb, the butter adverts etc were all a means to financing This Is PiL, their new album released last year and hey, i'd take it for that, independently released, no record company backing throughout the entire process, self financed.

Or perhaps it's just a case of when you rate someone so much you sort of look for excuses for them and thats what i'm doing, i just don't see that there's anything to be excused, it's just John being John i.e. doing every thing that someone in his 'position' is not supposed to and in doing it, sort of taking the piss out of all these hang ups and preconcieved notions and ideas about propriety and correct behaviour that certain people have.

'a punk icon? on a reality show?!?! Nooooooo, say it ain't so John!' It's hilairous :lol:

http://www.smartshanghai.com/articles/nightlife/interview-john-lydon2013-03-14

I might finally get to meet Johnny Rotten!

John always does interesting interviews, I wonder what China will make of him.

You don't live in China do yoo?
Shanghai but its like the New York of China. Not really china. Its more like the paris of the orient or california west.

The mao livehouse john will be at the bar for sure. Its not exactly the mercedes benz arena.

I went adam lambert last week. Gay as shit but he puts on good show.

Guest Len B'stard

Y'know...something about your Charlie Sheen story had a touch of modern china to it, don't ask me why. Modern Orient at least. That whole strip club scene to me was like, i dunno, Tokyo to it.

Edited by sugaraylen

Interesting to hear Lydon's still living in LA. His interviews are always entertaining. I think most artists want to go over there to play and sightsee, meet the people, and just have a good time.

Lydon self-financing the album - I can't see him doing hat in hand with Kickstarter to the fans, when he can just do some Pistols shows at festivals and make a million per show. He has more than one home and kids to support. We don't know just because Nora came from money, if she even gets any of it, or there is money to get.

I wonder who reaches out first when it comes to playing China, the artist or the promoters?

I didn't know that Elton John stirred the pot up, I guess some artists assume that they're so famous that they can't be thrown in prison? Thought it was kind of amusing that they'd try to screen out bands based on degrees, but it sounds like that fell through because someone with a degree's more likely to go on a political rant.

That DJ was an idiot. He started talking over him and being disrespectful. He sounded ready to have some fun, and this cranky asshole who needed a cup of coffee starts stepping over him.

The Pistols were a short lived time in his life and they were all still kids when it imploded. PiL is something that's been a constant in his life, even though it sounded like he had some setbacks, but he was doing other stuff. Reality TV is a good way to maintain presence in the public eye and get a decent check out of it if you're a "celebrity".

What was the Charlie Sheen story?

Guest Len B'stard

The Charlie Sheen story is me talking about a short story Wasted wrote. And Lydon don't have any kids although they say he took care of Ari Ups kids (his step grandkids by extension).

Y'know...something about your Charlie Sheen story had a touch of modern china to it, don't ask me why. Modern Orient at least. That whole strip club scene to me was like, i dunno, Tokyo to it.

That might be bcos id just read All Tomorrows Parties by William Gibson. His future always seems sort of asian.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah, i tend to visualise when i read things and that to me read like it was like...sort of like Lost in Translation setting-wise.

Yeah, i tend to visualise when i read things and that to me read like it was like...sort of like Lost in Translation setting-wise.

Overall it was set in a half built vegas city but for that scene it seemed to go black rain. It has that empty luxury feel of american psycho.