It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Let's Spend The Night Together

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

You Got The Silver (with Keith on lead vocals)

Can't Be Seen (with Keith on lead vocals)

Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

You Can't Always Get What You Want

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Zürich (Letzigrund Stadium); audience: 50.000

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

50K attendance is simply amazing for a band that has not had any meaningful new music in 30+ years..................they still sell out Arenas and Stadiums around the world for what has been essentially a legacy act since 1989..........

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

50K attendance is simply amazing for a band that has not had any meaningful new music in 30+ years..................they still sell out Arenas and Stadiums around the world for what has been essentially a legacy act since 1989..........

Bridges To Babylon isn't that bad!

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

Don't get me wrong I happen to like all their post 1989 albums but lets be honest how many songs from those albums can the average fan name and how many are regulars in their set list these days?

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

Don't get me wrong I happen to like all their post 1989 albums but lets be honest how many songs from those albums can the average fan name and how many are regulars in their set list these days?

They could have easily played 2 or 3 "new" songs per show. A bunch of newer material are quite good and catchy. Like: Streets of Love, Loosing My Touch, Saint of Me, Mixed Emotions, Almost Hear You Sigh, Don't Stop, Already Over Me, Oh No Not You Again, Under The Radar, Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Tears, Highwire... They really have a nice collection of songs.

• Like 1

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

Not sure what an average fan is. I consider myself an average fan...I think...and I can name a healthy chunk of them.

As for not being in the setlist, that falls on The Stones themselves...they can play whatever they want, nothing is stopping them. Their setlists are so boring...to this fan, at least. I saw them live, finally, on the Bigger Bang tour and I was almost walked out right away as soon as Start Me Up was played. Who the fuck really wants to hear Start Me the fuck Up? And that goes for a bunch of their staples, like Brown Sugar, Jumpin Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil, It's Only Rock n Roll to name a few---most of them sound like shit anyway.

They have so many great songs in their canon and they never play them.

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

Not sure what an average fan is. I consider myself an average fan...I think...and I can name a healthy chunk of them.

As for not being in the setlist, that falls on The Stones themselves...they can play whatever they want, nothing is stopping them. Their setlists are so boring...to this fan, at least. I saw them live, finally, on the Bigger Bang tour and I was almost walked out right away as soon as Start Me Up was played. Who the fuck really wants to hear Start Me the fuck Up? And that goes for a bunch of their staples, like Brown Sugar, Jumpin Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil, It's Only Rock n Roll to name a few---most of them sound like shit anyway.

I disagree. I saw the Stones for the first time a year ago (damn, it'll be a year tomorrow). Anyways, it was my first time and it was really important to hear all the war horses. I got a healthy dose of deep cuts too. I think their sets are really good. All the hits plus a few rotating slots for rare songs. I got Sway, Live With Me, and As Tears Go By. You can't call that boring.

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

I disagree. I saw the Stones for the first time a year ago (damn, it'll be a year tomorrow). Anyways, it was my first time and it was really important to hear all the war horses. I got a healthy dose of deep cuts too. I think their sets are really good. All the hits plus a few rotating slots for rare songs. I got Sway, Live With Me, and As Tears Go By. You can't call that boring.

Yes I can :P

Because the other 18 songs are "war horses". What's gonna happen if they don't play those same 12 - 15 songs? Everyone's gonna walk out? Never happen.

When I finally saw them, I didn't want to hear Brown Sugar for the 10000000000000th time. I wanted to hear Winter or If You Really Want To Be My Friend or Heaven or any other 150 or so great songs they have that they never or very, very, very rarely play.

The last 6 songs they played all sounded the same, they were going thru the motions, Keith basically played the same song for the last 6 songs.

Play I Am Waiting, play fucking anything but Jumping Jack fucking Flash for the millionth time.

When you have a catalog as deep as theirs, utilize it to the nth degree. Put Springsteen to shame for fuck sake.

But no, it's Start Me the fuck Up again. It's Satisfaction fucking again--kill me with that shitty song already. There's not a worse live sounding song than Satisfaction...until you hear Sympathy for the Devil.

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

Because the other 18 songs are "war horses". What's gonna happen if they don't play those same 12 - 15 songs? Everyone's gonna walk out? Never happen.

When I finally saw them, I didn't want to hear Brown Sugar for the 10000000000000th time. I wanted to hear Winter or If You Really Want To Be My Friend or Heaven or any other 150 or so great songs they have that they never or very, very, very rarely play.

The last 6 songs they played all sounded the same, they were going thru the motions, Keith basically played the same song for the last 6 songs.

Play I Am Waiting, play fucking anything but Jumping Jack fucking Flash for the millionth time.

When you have a catalog as deep as theirs, utilize it to the nth degree. Put Springsteen to shame for fuck sake.

But no, it's Start Me the fuck Up again. It's Satisfaction fucking again--kill me with that shitty song already. There's not a worse live sounding song than Satisfaction...until you hear Sympathy for the Devil.

That is because you are not an "average fan" mate. IMHO an "average fan", which makes up the majority of the audience at the concerts, and could not name 3 Stones albums never mind the songs you and Daedelus named in your posts..they go to hear the old warhorses and not the new songs or some deep cut from an old album......... :shrugs:

And fans may not walk out but there would be a good number of disappointed "average fans" who will not spend the obscene money again in the future the band charges these days. The band and Mick in particular are not going to risk alienating the majority who buy those overpriced tickets........

And I agree Satisfaction is not anything special in concert these days and is a throw away encore but it one of the Stones most recognizable songs for the "average fan" and I disagree with you about Sympathy especially the version they did in the 90's which I thought was fantastic. and I would say these fans would disagree with you.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36dOpy6AoFY

Although I have to admit I do like the 1969 U.S. tour version of "Satisfaction"...ragged and raw the way it should be played................but then again that is my favorite Stones tour of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfCu_sbD508

Edited by classicrawker

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

That is because you are not an "average fan" mate. IMHO an "average fan", which makes up the majority of the audience at the concerts, could not name 3 Stones albums never mind the songs you and Daedelus named in your posts..they go to hear the old warhorses and not the new songs or some deep cut from an old album......... :shrugs:

.and I agree Satisfaction is not anything special in concert these days but I disagree with you about Sympathy especially the version they did in the 90's which I thought was fantastic.

Although I have to admit I do like the 1969 U.S. tour version of "Satisfaction"...ragged and raw the way it should be played................but then again that is my favorite Stones tour of all time..........

I find it hard to believe that the majority of fans at Stones concerts are "average". And even if they are, I still don't understand why they play the same old same old all the time.

As I said, is everyone going to walk out if they don't hear Brown Sugar or Honky Tonk Women?

I've never heard a good, proper live version of Sympathy that could touch the recorded version. Not to say all the live versions have been bad, but they lean that way, especially on their last few tours.

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

That is because you are not an "average fan" mate. IMHO an "average fan", which makes up the majority of the audience at the concerts, could not name 3 Stones albums never mind the songs you and Daedelus named in your posts..they go to hear the old warhorses and not the new songs or some deep cut from an old album......... :shrugs:

.and I agree Satisfaction is not anything special in concert these days but I disagree with you about Sympathy especially the version they did in the 90's which I thought was fantastic.

I find it hard to believe that the majority of fans at Stones concerts are "average". And even if they are, I still don't understand why they play the same old same old all the time.

As I said, is everyone going to walk out if they don't hear Brown Sugar or Honky Tonk Women?

I've never heard a good, proper live version of Sympathy that could touch the recorded version. Not to say all the live versions have been bad, but they lean that way, especially on their last few tours.

Read my last post again mate....I have been going to Stones concerts since 1975 and have seen close to 30 shows and IMHO you are wrong if you don't think the majority of fans at the shows are not "Average fans". I am willing to bet most could not tell you the names of their albums never mind songs other than the warhorses..........

The Stones rarely play their songs like the albums so not s surprise Sympathy does not sound like the album...besides who wants to hear them recreate the albums?................. :lol:

Start Me Up

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

Worried About You

Doom And Gloom

Out Of Control

Honky Tonk Women

BAND INTRODUCTIONS

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

ENCORE

Read my last post again mate....I have been going to Stones concerts since 1975 and have seen close to 30 shows and IMHO you are wrong if you don't think the majority of fans at the shows are not "Average fans". I am willing to bet most could not tell you the names of their albums never mind songs other than the warhorses..........

The Stones rarely play their songs like the albums so not s surprise Sympathy does not sound like the album...besides who wants to hear them recreate the albums?................. :lol:

I don't want to hear a replication of the record but at least make it good then!! Sympathy sucks live, bottom line.

And yes, I can read, thank you very much.

Edited by Sixes

I think the problem is, they play only 19-20 songs per set. And it's hard to play the greatest hits for the majority + more than 3 songs for us, not-so-average fans.

But they have so many well known songs...50 maybe?. But they play the same old same old continually. That's frustrating as a fan, average or not

Well, I think hearing hits are important in concert. So are deep cuts. Its all about finding balance.

The fact that the Stones have so many must play hits is just a testament to how many great songs they have.

And yes, I would have been very disappointed if I didn't hear Satisfaction, JJF, Brown Sugar, Sympathy, etc at my show. That doesn't in any way make me a casual or average fan.

Well Daedalus we will have to agree to disagree on Sympathy I guess as I don't think it sucks....and you hate Satisfaction, and I agree it is a throwaway now, but all I can tell you is it gets one of the biggest reactions from the fans when they play it at the concerts I have been to so I can understand why the Stones keep it in the set list just like JJF and Honky Tonk Woman...the "average fans" buy tickets to hear those songs and might not come back if they don't get to hear them.......

And I was not trying to bust your stones or offend you but you asked the same questions I had already responded to so I wasn't sure you read my complete post.............. :shrugs:

I agree with you and Sixes that it would be nice if the Stones dug deeper into their back catalog and I am pretty sure if it was up to Keef they would. I can't remember where but I have read more then once Mick is the person who decides the setlists and Keef's attitude is Mick has to sing the songs so he gets to pick them. I would love it if they mixed it up like The Boss or Pearl Jam every concert but Mick is very image conscience and evidently does not like to stray outside his comfort zone........If you have a copy go watch the excellent "Shine A Light" concert video if you have a chance. At the beginning they show Mick making up the setlists for upcoming shows and he explains he tailors them to the size of the venue and the crowd they expect. Stadiums shows get the most vanilla setlists......I guess you can't teach old dogs new tricks.... :shrugs:

• Like 1

Well Daedalus we will have to agree to disagree on Sympathy I guess as I don't think it sucks....and you hate Satisfaction, and I agree it is a throwaway now, but all I can tell you is it gets one of the biggest reactions from the fans when they play it at the concerts I have been to so I can understand why the Stones keep it in the set list just like JJF and Honky Tonk Woman...the "average fans" buy tickets to hear those songs and might not come back if they don't get to hear them.......

And I was not trying to bust your stones or offend you but you asked the same questions I had already responded to so I wasn't sure you read my complete post.............. :shrugs:

I agree with you and Sixes that it would be nice if the Stones dug deeper into their back catalog and I am pretty sure if it was up to Keef they would. I can't remember where but I have read more then once Mick is the person who decides the setlists and Keef's attitude is Mick has to sing the songs so he gets to pick them. I would love it if they mixed it up like The Boss or Pearl Jam every concert but Mick is very image conscience and evidently does not like to stray outside his comfort zone........If you have a copy go watch the excellent "Shine A Light" concert video if you have a chance. At the beginning they show Mick making up the setlists for upcoming shows and he explains he tailors them to the size of the venue and the crowd they expect. Stadiums shows get the most vanilla setlists......I guess you can't teach old dogs new tricks.... :shrugs:

They did mix it up a bit for Shine A Light and it was refreshing...

But what about this? Maybe if they didn't hear JJF or the like, they would come back again with hopes of hearing them the next time? Then Mick and the boys have roped em in twice!!

And at this point, in reality, how many more tours do they have left in them?

I'd love for them to go out swinging and mixing it up...they do rehearse a shitload of songs...might as well play them!

I think the problem is, they play only 19-20 songs per set. And it's hard to play the greatest hits for the majority + more than 3 songs for us, not-so-average fans.

But they have so many well known songs...50 maybe?. But they play the same old same old continually. That's frustrating as a fan, average or not

The "average fan" seems to love the same old, same old but I agree it is most frustrating to more serious Stones fans....all you have to do is go read the posts on the IORR Stones forum to see the frustration....But I agree with you and Daedalus it would be amazing if they dug deep and played at least one obscure song from there huge catalog but I don't think Mick would do it......I read he was freaking out about playing Monkey Man back during the 40 Licks tour as he was worried they would mess it up........... :shrugs:

But what about this? Maybe if they didn't hear JJF or the like, they would come back again with hopes of hearing them the next time? Then Mick and the boys have roped em in twice!!

I'd love for them to go out swinging and mixing it up...they do rehearse a shitload of songs...might as well play them!

Theaters evidently get the most varied setlists............I agree Sixes but even the rehearsals don't dig that deep but it would be nice if they played some of the less well known songs from the rehearsals.......

Considering how much the Stones charge for tickets these days not many people would come back for a second try if they don't like the setlist the first try...IMHO of course........... :lol:

I went to see Van Morrison probably 20 years ago with some casual fans and he played none of his hits, I mean none of them...I would have loved to hear a few of the hits but I enjoyed the show as I got to hear some obscure songs live but the people I went with swore they would never go see him again because they did not get to hear their favorites.......not saying would be the case with the Stones but I have had people tell me they were disappointed they did not get to hear their favorite song at a Stones show more than once........... :shrugs:

Theaters evidently get the most varied setlists............I agree Sixes but even the rehearsals don't dig that deep but it would be nice if they played some of the less well known songs from the rehearsals.......

Considering how much the Stones charge for tickets these days not many people would come back for a second try if they don't like the setlist the first try...IMHO of course........... :lol:

I went to see Van Morrison probably 20 years ago with some casual fans and he played none of his hits, I mean none of them...I would have loved to hear a few of the hits but I enjoyed the show as I got to hear some obscure songs live but the people I went with swore they would never go see him again because they did not get to hear their favorites.......not saying would be the case with the Stones but I have had people tell me they were disappointed they did not get to hear their favorite song at a Stones show more than once........... :shrugs:

I've seen Van about 10 times and I've yet to hear a hit!!

Well there's another thing....I have dozens of fav Stones songs and they never play them live. I don't think I'd be mad and not go again for that reason. For some reason or another, I've only seen them once but have had the opportunity many times going back to the Still Life tour but things and circumstances have gotten in the way. Saw them finally on the Bigger Bang tour in MSG. I don't remember thefull setlist aside from Paint it Black and 19th Nervous Breakdown...oh and Start me the fuck Up :anger:

....and of course, the usual suspects.

I've seen Van about 10 times and I've yet to hear a hit!!

Well there's another thing....I have dozens of fav Stones songs and they never play them live. I don't think I'd be mad and not go again for that reason. For some reason or another, I've only seen them once but have had the opportunity many times going back to the Still Life tour but things and circumstances have gotten in the way. Saw them finally on the Bigger Bang tour in MSG. I don't remember thefull setlist aside from Paint it Black and 19th Nervous Breakdown...oh and Start me the fuck Up :anger:

....and of course, the usual suspects.

Yeah I respect Van for that as he plays what he feels like but he lost some fans that night as I heard other "average fans" bitching on the way out of the theater about the setlist as well.......... :lol:

Trust me there are a ton of songs I would love to hear the Stones play live in person just once which are not even that obscure, like "Salt of the Earth" and "Hand of Fate", but can't see Mick taking the chance and going off script..... :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker