13. Miss you
14. Gimme shelter
15. Brown Sugar
16. Sympathy for the Devil
17. Jumping Jack Flash
18. You can’t always get what you want
19. Satisfaction

Doom and Gloom is back.

I do not understand these votes in the slightest: genuine deep cut masterpieces such as Live With Me and All Down the Line from their golden period losing out to Like A Rolling Stone, a latter day cover buried on a slightly ropy 'unplugged' album!! Who is voting on these things? It is a good cover but jesus - we have Live With Me and All Down the Bloody Line here!!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand these votes in the slightest: genuine deep cut masterpieces such as Live With Me and All Down the Line from their golden period losing out to Like A Rolling Stone, a latter day cover buried on a slightly ropy 'unplugged' album!! Who is voting on these things? It is a good cover but jesus - we have Live With Me and All Down the Bloody Line here!!

no surprise really........the majority of fans are not hardcore fans who would vote or deep cuts...they want to hear the hits and songs they know.........

You know what the GN'R equivalent of this would be,

14 Years

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Coma

Don't Damn Me

..and they vote Heaven's Door haha.

PS

Also we are not exactly discussing Jiving Sister Fanny and/or The Citadel here. Live with Me and All Down the Line are two cuts from two of the Stones' very finest studio albums, Let it Bleed and Exile.  Live With Me was a live staple 1969-71, appearing on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Leeds '71, et al. All Down the Line was a staple 72-73,  appearing on Ladies and Gentleman, The Brussels Affair, et al. Certainly they were not singles and therefore not hits but they're two of the reasons why Let it Bleed and Exile are so revered.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Marginal staple. Jagger has every song designated into four or five categories. Category one are always played, Satisfaction, Gimmie Shelter, Midnight Rambler, etc. Category two are more often than not played but now and then dropped, You Got Me Rocking, Let's Spend the Night Together, Tumbling Dice. I suspect All Down the Line might be in that category. And it descends down to the lower categories which end with the deepest of cuts. He plans it all with meticulous attention; you can see him doing this on Shine A Light. He also factors in era, making sure all are represented, '60s, '70s, '80s, post Wyman era.

It is fascinating how he micro manages everything. I must admit, I prefer things a little looser but he is Jagger and he can do what he wants.

• Like 1

São Paulo, Brasil (February 24, 2016)

1. Start Me Up
2. It's Only Rrock n' Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Out of Control
5. Bitch (vote)
6. Beast of Burden
7. Worried About You
8. Paint it Black
9. Honky Tonk Woman
10. You Got the Silver (Keith)
11. Happy (Keith)
12. Midnight Rambler
13. Miss You
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Brown Sugar
17. Jumping Jack Flash
18. You can’t Always Get What You Want
19. Satisfaction

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

Am I the only person who really likes Rain Fall Down and Sweet Neo-Con?

I LOVE A Bigger Bang, which is an unpopular opinion. I think Sweet Neo Con is great, Rain Falls Down is probably the ONLY song on the album I don't like. Too long an album, but 10 great tracks on there and the rest is pretty solid. IMO their best post-Tattoo You release hands down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

I LOVE A Bigger Bang, which is an unpopular opinion. I think Sweet Neo Con is great, Rain Falls Down is probably the ONLY song on the album I don't like. Too long an album, but 10 great tracks on there and the rest is pretty solid. IMO their best post-Tattoo You release hands down.

Is there anything in particular that you don't like about Rain Fall Down? I think that the riff is great, but the intro always sounds...kind of like my speakers aren't working correctly, like it's not playing quite right.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:15 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Marginal staple. Jagger has every song designated into four or five categories. Category one are always played, Satisfaction, Gimmie Shelter, Midnight Rambler, etc. Category two are more often than not played but now and then dropped, You Got Me Rocking, Let's Spend the Night Together, Tumbling Dice. I suspect All Down the Line might be in that category. And it descends down to the lower categories which end with the deepest of cuts. He plans it all with meticulous attention; you can see him doing this on Shine A Light. He also factors in era, making sure all are represented, '60s, '70s, '80s, post Wyman era.

It is fascinating how he micro manages everything. I must admit, I prefer things a little looser but he is Jagger and he can do what he wants.

According to interviews I have read if it was up to Keef they would do deeper cuts but he defers to Mick who is very worried about putting on a clean performance so he is very conservative..Keef's feeling is Mick is the frontman and has to sing the songs so he leaves it up to him to come up with the final setlist........

1 minute ago, PappyTron said:

Is there anything in particular that you don't like about Rain Fall Down? I think that the riff is great, but the intro always sounds...kind of like my speakers aren't working correctly, like it's not playing quite right.

Too disco-y for me. I never really liked it when the Stones went that dancey kind of route. Cause it goes right along with Mick's vocal delivery, which always annoys me on the disco-y songs. It really is the ONLY song I would have kept off the album.

6 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Too disco-y for me. I never really liked it when the Stones went that dancey kind of route. Cause it goes right along with Mick's vocal delivery, which always annoys me on the disco-y songs. It really is the ONLY song I would have kept off the album.

It's probably my favourite song on the album, to be honest. I really don't mind the Stones' more pop sounding songs as they usually always have something to say, even with the more throwaway songs. The video to it is great; hilarious watch Mick, skinny as a reed, dancing and wiggling down a hallway like it was still the 60s!

18 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

According to interviews I have read if it was up to Keef they would do deeper cuts but he defers to Mick who is very worried about putting on a clean performance so he is very conservative..Keef's feeling is Mick is the frontman and has to sing the songs so he leaves it up to him to come up with the final setlist........

It is all Mick doing the setlists if Shine A Light is any evidence. Keef is probably just happy they are still playing so delegates the decision to Mick.

On the subject of A Bigger Bang, it is one of the few Stones albums I couldn't get into; it is not really a bad album per se - just a bit average.

41 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Yeah, it would be awesome if they did deep cuts, but honestly if recent performances are any indication Mick is probably right. They pull out stuff like 2000 Light Years or a random one they did recently and they are usually, well intentioned, trainwrecks.

2 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Yeah, it would be awesome if they did deep cuts, but honestly if recent performances are any indication Mick is probably right. They pull out stuff like 2000 Light Years or a random one they did recently and they are usually, well intentioned, trainwrecks.

Well that is a recipe for lameness - I'm sorry; if you philosophy is to 'check in a hits set', because something more challenging may include numerous pratfalls, then you may as well give it up as a performing artist - which in fact the Stones should have done years ago.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well that is a recipe for lameness - I'm sorry; if you philosophy is to 'check in a hits set', because something more challenging may include numerous pratfalls, then you may as well give it up as a performing artist - which in fact the Stones should have done years ago.

I'm not saying its right, but I'm just saying I understand why they do it. They play a greatest hits set VERY well. They don't beg people to see them. Hell, they charge exorbitant prices and people still come back multiple times. They should know what to expect at this point. They charge a premium for people that want the Vegas-y "Rolling Stones experience". And they do that very well. I don't think they should, but at least it isn't crap. I've seem them twice and both were excellent shows. If they have relegated themselves to not taking risks, thats their decision. They still try it and I'm just saying when they do it has sounded pretty bad. It makes me question why the Stones do that in the first place though. Cause its like obviously they aren't rehearsing those, or they do and not very well, and they consistently fail when its not honed. So I wonder why they even attempt it at all if Mick shows no interest in going full force with it.

In the end, I'm fine with whatever they do. I've seen em and don't plan to again so if they stopped touring its no skin off my bones. But I also do like the idea of a Stones still being out there for those that want to see them, regardless of what they're playing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

I'm not saying its right, but I'm just saying I understand why they do it. They play a greatest hits set VERY well. They don't beg people to see them. Hell, they charge exorbitant prices and people still come back multiple times. They should know what to expect at this point. They charge a premium for people that want the Vegas-y "Rolling Stones experience". And they do that very well. I don't think they should, but at least it isn't crap. I've seem them twice and both were excellent shows. If they have relegated themselves to not taking risks, thats their decision. They still try it and I'm just saying when they do it has sounded pretty bad. It makes me question why the Stones do that in the first place though. Cause its like obviously they aren't rehearsing those, or they do and not very well, and they consistently fail when its not honed. So I wonder why they even attempt it at all if Mick shows no interest in going full force with it.

In the end, I'm fine with whatever they do. I've seen em and don't plan to again so if they stopped touring its no skin off my bones. But I also do like the idea of a Stones still being out there for those that want to see them, regardless of what they're playing.

Although in their defense they are more experimental with their setlists than Axl.

São Paulo, Brasil

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. It's Only Rock and Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Out of Control
5. All Down the Line
6. She’s a Rainbow (vote)
7. Wild Horses
8. Paint it black
9. Honky Tonk Woman
10. Slipping Away (Keith)
11. Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
12. Midnight Rambler
13. Miss You
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Mme Up
17. Brown Sugar
18. You Can't Always Get What You Want
19. Satisfaction

• 2 weeks later...

Well, few last shows were as usual.

- Let's Spend The Night Together was vote winner at Porto Alegre, 18 songs in the setlist.

- Like a Rolling Stone won in Peru. They also played Angie. 18 songs again.

- Dead Flowers was played by request in Bogota. They played Beast of Burden (with Juanes) and Wild Horses. 18 songs in total.

Next show is Mexico City, March 14.

When did the Stones add a Cuba gig to the Latin American tour? They posted a picture of the event poster for a Havana gig next week, and it's the first I've heard about it. The Havana poster is amazing though, one of the best in recent memory for sure.