History Channel: The Bible

WTF?

There is no historic or archeological evidence for the tribes of Israel to have been present in Egypt yet alone as slaves to the Pharaoh. No Egyptian writings, no pots, bones, cloth, metalwork, coins etc have ever been found. It is a complete myth that the Jews were ever in Egypt and it is a myth that is perpetuated by the old testament which people, millennia later, seem to accept as fact.

Denial. Or perhaps you're just 15 or something.

Denial? Isn't that a river in Egypt? That's about as fucking close to fact as you'll ever get, my friend.

Why? because you deny what is written in the bible? The Fact that it states they worked with stone and mortar? What were they building? Get a clue.

I'm glad you know the FACTS about what happened 3000 years ago. I'll believe the writer of the those books over some moron in a GN'R forum anyday.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, the Hebrew "Captivity" in Egypt dates around New Kingdom which means they wouldn't be building pyramids. Pyramid building was long abandoned because it was too costly and frankly, what helped lead to the demise of the Old Kingdom. The Middle Kingdom was their better times. New Kingdom when they started occupying lands beyond The Nile Delta. The Hebrews may have been people they would have on their Eastern Frontier to buffer between other Semites who would try to invade. Why where they in Egypt if they ever were? Who knows?

Not to mention the date of the Exodus means that Egypt was in control of Canaan at the time.

Canaan was a land Egypt barely had control of. Too far out of reach to govern. If it was around the time, it means whoever the Pharaoh was made nothing of it and saw the Israelites as settlers at his more distant border.

Mostly do to the surrounding civilizations in decline. They reportedly had a great temple but their true achievement is a family of religions that have well over 3 billion people.

Yahweh was not really the son of El, more like another name for El. El was some local god that the Hebrews elevated to Supreme Ruler of the Universe and discarded all other gods. A name was needed to familiarize the people. The Muslims did the same with with Allah, the name of an Arabian diety that became known as God in the same as Yahweh or My Lord or Jehovah.

The Bible was written around The Exile. This was when Yahweh became the one true God. Before, God had a wife. Now he didn't. The real Exodus if it ever happened was rather different from what the Bible tells us.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

There is no historic or archeological evidence for the tribes of Israel to have been present in Egypt yet alone as slaves to the Pharaoh. No Egyptian writings, no pots, bones, cloth, metalwork, coins etc have ever been found. It is a complete myth that the Jews were ever in Egypt and it is a myth that is perpetuated by the old testament which people, millennia later, seem to accept as fact.

Denial. Or perhaps you're just 15 or something.

Denial? Isn't that a river in Egypt? That's about as fucking close to fact as you'll ever get, my friend.

Why? because you deny what is written in the bible? The Fact that it states they worked with stone and mortar? What were they building? Get a clue.

I'm glad you know the FACTS about what happened 3000 years ago. I'll believe the writer of the those books over some moron in a GN'R forum anyday.

Well, 3000 years ago is not exactly relevant given that the pyramids were built way (way) before that, but I'll let that slide. I will question your supposition that the Bible is FACT though and should therefore be taken at face value. May I ask you how old you believe the Earth to be? Can you also tell me whether the sun rotates around the Earth or whether the Earth is at the center of the universe and hence our sun revolves around it?

Pappy I suppose the fact that jews celebrate passover every year is a lie, and also the fact that the calender on YOUR wall

states passover (the freeing of jews from Egypt) was 2 weeks ago is also lie. Plus your canender says it's the year 2013,

which is the number of years since Jesus was born. I hope you enjoy living in your own little world where only you know the truth.

Edited by 31illusions

Pappy I suppose the fact that jews celebrate passover every year is a lie, and also the fact that the calender on YOUR wall

states passover (the freeing of jews from Egypt) was 2 weeks ago is also lie. Apperently the whole world is lying and you are

the only one who knows the truth. Enjoy living in Denial.

Ban please.

Mostly do to the surrounding civilizations in decline. They reportedly had a great temple but their true achievement is a family of religions that have well over 3 billion people.

Yahweh was not really the son of El, more like another name for El. El was some local god that the Hebrews elevated to Supreme Ruler of the Universe and discarded all other gods. A name was needed to familiarize the people. The Muslims did the same with with Allah, the name of an Arabian diety that became known as God in the same as Yahweh or My Lord or Jehovah.

The Bible was written around The Exile. This was when Yahweh became the one true God. Before, God had a wife. Now he didn't. The real Exodus if it ever happened was rather different from what the Bible tells us.

El was Yahweh's father before they became one and the same.

As for Asherah, being the wife of God, that's essentially hinted at strongly within the books of Kings but it is positioned more as a monotheist (which is shown as the correct tradition) vs polytheist battle (shown as following the original local gods, which wasn't wrong) as opposed to the old way (polytheism) being pitted against monotheism (the emerging belief).

states passover (the freeing of jews from Egypt) was 2 weeks ago is also lie. Plus your canender says it's the year 2013,

which is the number of years since Jesus was born. I hope you enjoy living in your own little world where only you know the truth.

Jesus was born in the year 0?

No he was born on the 25th of December. Derp.

I'm a Catholic and what not but it doesn't mean you have to be a raging dick when evidence suggest otherwise. You can believe in miracles, God etc. Those are a matter of faith not reason. but when talking about the mere actions and history of humans that's another thing.

Oh dear god! Are you trolling or just that stupid? :rolleyes:

A bit of column A, a bit of column B, it would seem.

actually no he was not born that day. but that's another discussion

Why dazey? what proof do you have other wise...i'm listening, i'm curious to hear your Atheist views.

Here'a link for your education.... Don't be ignorant like the others and actually read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover

Edited by 31illusions

>

Why dazey? what proof do you have other wise...i'm listening, i'm curious to hear your Atheist views.

Here'a link for your education.... Don't be ignorant like the others and actually read it.

We're talking evidence you moron. Everything I've stated is almost ad verbatim off your lovely Wikipedia. Sames goes for Birdy.

Ooooh! The well respected and peer reviewed resource that is Wikipedia! Damnit I must be wrong then eh? :lol:

I can quote random websites to back up my argument too you know? Let's try this one for openers eh? :)

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/the-jewish-thinker/were-jews-ever-really-slaves-in-egypt-or-is-passover-a-myth-1.420844

Here's a question for you: what do actor Charlton Heston, DreamWorks animation studios and Former Prime Minister Menachem Begin all have in common? Well, they've all, at one time or another, perpetuated the myth that the Jews built the pyramids. And it is a myth, make no mistake. Even if we take the earliest possible date for Jewish slavery that the Bible suggests, the Jews were enslaved in Egypt a good three hundred years after the 1750 B.C. completion date of the pyramids. That is, of course, if they were ever slaves in Egypt at all.

We are so quick to point out the obvious lies about Jews and Israel that come out in Egypt the Sinai Governors claims that the Mossad released a shark into the Red Sea to kill Egyptians, or, as I once read in a newspaper whilst on holiday in Cairo, the tale of the magnetic belt buckles that Jews were selling cheap in Egypt that would sterilize men on contact yet we so rarely examine our own misconceptions about the nature of our history with the Egyptian nation.

We tend, in the midst of our disdain for Egyptian, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, to overlook the fact that one of the biggest events of the Jewish calendar is predicated upon reminding the next generation every year of how the Egyptians were our cruel slave-masters, in a bondage that likely never happened. Is this really so different from Jaws the Mossad agent?

The reality is that there is no evidence whatsoever that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. Yes, there's the story contained within the bible itself, but that's not a remotely historically admissible source. I'm talking about real proof; archeological evidence, state records and primary sources. Of these, nothing exists.

It is hard to believe that 600,000 families (which would mean about two million people) crossed the entire Sinai without leaving one shard of pottery (the archeologist's best friend) with Hebrew writing on it. It is remarkable that Egyptian records make no mention of the sudden migration of what would have been nearly a quarter of their population, nor has any evidence been found for any of the expected effects of such an exodus; such as economic downturn or labor shortages. Furthermore, there is no evidence in Israel that shows a sudden influx of people from another culture at that time. No rapid departure from traditional pottery has been seen, no record or story of a surge in population.

In fact, there's absolutely no more evidence to suggest that the story is true than there is in support of any of the Arab world's conspiracy theories and tall tales about Jews.

So, as we come to Passover 2012 when, thanks to the Arab Spring, our relations with Egypt are at a nearly 40 year low, let us enjoy our Seder and read the story by all means, but also remind those at the table who may forget that it is just a metaphor, and that there is no ancient animosity between Israelites and Egyptians. Because, if we want to re-establish that elusive peace with Egypt that so many worked so hard to build, we're all going to have to let go of our prejudices.

Edited by Dazey

Ooooh! The well respected and peer reviewed resource that is Wikipedia! Damnit I must be wrong then eh? :lol:

I can quote random websites to back up my argument too you know? Let's try this one for openers eh? :)

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/the-jewish-thinker/were-jews-ever-really-slaves-in-egypt-or-is-passover-a-myth-1.420844

Here's a question for you: what do actor Charlton Heston, DreamWorks animation studios and Former Prime Minister Menachem Begin all have in common? Well, they've all, at one time or another, perpetuated the myth that the Jews built the pyramids. And it is a myth, make no mistake. Even if we take the earliest possible date for Jewish slavery that the Bible suggests, the Jews were enslaved in Egypt a good three hundred years after the 1750 B.C. completion date of the pyramids. That is, of course, if they were ever slaves in Egypt at all.

We are so quick to point out the obvious lies about Jews and Israel that come out in Egypt the Sinai Governors claims that the Mossad released a shark into the Red Sea to kill Egyptians, or, as I once read in a newspaper whilst on holiday in Cairo, the tale of the magnetic belt buckles that Jews were selling cheap in Egypt that would sterilize men on contact yet we so rarely examine our own misconceptions about the nature of our history with the Egyptian nation.

We tend, in the midst of our disdain for Egyptian, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, to overlook the fact that one of the biggest events of the Jewish calendar is predicated upon reminding the next generation every year of how the Egyptians were our cruel slave-masters, in a bondage that likely never happened. Is this really so different from Jaws the Mossad agent?

The reality is that there is no evidence whatsoever that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. Yes, there's the story contained within the bible itself, but that's not a remotely historically admissible source. I'm talking about real proof; archeological evidence, state records and primary sources. Of these, nothing exists.

It is hard to believe that 600,000 families (which would mean about two million people) crossed the entire Sinai without leaving one shard of pottery (the archeologist's best friend) with Hebrew writing on it. It is remarkable that Egyptian records make no mention of the sudden migration of what would have been nearly a quarter of their population, nor has any evidence been found for any of the expected effects of such an exodus; such as economic downturn or labor shortages. Furthermore, there is no evidence in Israel that shows a sudden influx of people from another culture at that time. No rapid departure from traditional pottery has been seen, no record or story of a surge in population.

In fact, there's absolutely no more evidence to suggest that the story is true than there is in support of any of the Arab world's conspiracy theories and tall tales about Jews.

So, as we come to Passover 2012 when, thanks to the Arab Spring, our relations with Egypt are at a nearly 40 year low, let us enjoy our Seder and read the story by all means, but also remind those at the table who may forget that it is just a metaphor, and that there is no ancient animosity between Israelites and Egyptians. Because, if we want to re-establish that elusive peace with Egypt that so many worked so hard to build, we're all going to have to let go of our prejudices.

What Dazey said.

Why am I even here defending the jewish holiday? I'm not even jewish. For my final thought, let's look at the facts that everyone agrees on.

1. The jews celebrate their freedom from Egypt every year

2. The Hebrew bible states they were slaves

3. The Christian Bible states they were slaves

4. The secular world acknowledges the jews celebrate their

freedom by posting the days of passover on your calendar

5. You choose to deny points 1, 2, 3, and 4 and believe your own revisionist history

So there ou have it. Anyway.... long live the Jews and see you next Passover!!

Edited by 31illusions

Why am I even here defending the jewish holiday? I'm not even jewish. For my final thought, let's look at the facts that everyone agrees on.

1. The jews celebrate their freedom from Egypt every year

2. The Hebrew bible states they were slaves

3. The Christian Bible states they were slaves

4. The secular world acknowledges the jews celebrate their

freedom by posting the days of passover on your calendar

5. You choose to deny points 1, 2, 3, and 4 and believe your own revisionist history

People choose to deny points 1-4 as there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that they ever happened barring what is written in the bible. It's not revisionist at all it's simply saying that the bible is not a credible historical source.

Just to add an additional point though. Christians celebrate Christmas every year yet we know that the origins of the festival have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or Jesus. :shrugs:

Edited by Dazey

Jesus was born in the year 0?

Given that the calendar was changed in the 16th century to the current one... no.

I wanna say 2 things: 1)If Projected still posted here he could explain certain things to us very well. 2) JD, I wish you posted like this more often.

Btw, has anyone else watched the series or not?!