My biggest problem with The Beatles

Randy Lahey

Theres not much aggression to the beatles not even a darkness really. Thats why The Doors and Stones made more sense in the 90s.

I listened to most of their stuff in conjunction with a book about them. Its definitely a whole different universe.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to most of their stuff in conjunction with a book about them. Its definitely a whole different universe.

Sorry, just want to make sure I'm understanding your pronouns correctly. "Them" is the Beatles, right (as opposed to Stones and Doors)? And you mean it's a different universe when you put the Beatles in context of their times, as you did when reading the book, right? Which book did you read? I recommend "Shout!" I took a university course on the Beatles a few months ago, and "Shout!" was one of our main texts we were reading. And I definitely agree, if I understood correctly.

Sorry, just want to make sure I'm understanding your pronouns correctly. "Them" is the Beatles, right (as opposed to Stones and Doors)? And you mean it's a different universe when you put the Beatles in context of their times, as you did when reading the book, right? Which book did you read? I recommend "Shout!" I took a university course on the Beatles a few months ago, and "Shout!" was one of our main texts we were reading. And I definitely agree, if I understood correctly.

it may have been Shout, it was right from start to finish. Also read Electric kool aid acid test while listen to the Blue album. And a manson book with the White album. I just nean that the beatles are slightly outside of reality, its a whole world to explore and definitely not the same as The Stones. But i feel that beatles sort seems kike a different time, the stones seems to make sense today. Maybe early Stones does make think more of Chelsea in the 60s.

Guest Len B'stard

Shout is fantastic, ain't that the one where Lennon said it was the truest account cuz it portrayed them as bastards and thats what they were :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I was gonna say, they hadn't even met him by then, Sexy Sadie is the one you were thinkin' of, Nowhere Man is about Lennon himself.

I don't think there is a Beatles song on their entire discography that ain't amazing. That sounds like a flippant hyperbolic statement but it's not, they're just that insanely talented and unique.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH dirty maggie may, they have taken her away and she'll never walk down lime street anymore, the judge he guilty found her, for robbin' a homeward bounder, that dirty no good robbin' Maggie May! :D

Yes, even that one!

With The Beatles, top fuckin' drawer!

Amen brother.

To me the Stones are very Americanized. Whereas the Beatles are very english. Maybe only the white album and let it be really sound like 70s california.

I don't know about "very", I don't really hear Eagles or Ronstadt in their songs. George Martin produced one of America's albums though.

maxwell = kill it with fire

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a brilliant song. What isn't brilliant about a song about a serial killer bashing people's skulls in, all in a sing-along, whistle friendly tune?

Agreed, it's really a cool song. It's funny and dark at the same time. Love it.

+1. It's fucking hilarious, and I love it. One of my favorite Paul-led ones.

Agreed. Awesome tune.

You people used to be so cool.

To me the Stones are very Americanized. Whereas the Beatles are very english. Maybe only the white album and let it be really sound like 70s california.

I don't know about "very", I don't really hear Eagles or Ronstadt in their songs. George Martin produced one of America's albums though.

It seems from 1968 they left London behind. By Sticky Fingers there's not a trace of Englishness, it's blues rock with a cover by Andy Warhol. I'm not sure when Jagger changed his voice but he did it few times.

Defintely out of those three giants of rock and English music, The Beatles managed to be influenced by American music but maintained a very British sound and demeanour whereas the Stones and Zeppelin were very American - I guess probably had a lot to do with the latter two being heavily influenced by the blues.

Beatles were influenced by more rock n roll like Elvis and Little Richard. I don't know I'm just guessing.

Is it that Stones just lasted longer as well. Their final run from Steel Wheels is basically a hollywood movie. being a stadium band is a very American concept?

There's a southern rock element to the Stones, Robert Johnson down at the crossroads. Whereas the Beatles never really made a pact with satan.

I prefer Lennons solo stuff to be honest. Even his covers album.

Yeah, that's an awesome album. There are a number of unreleased stuff from the Phil Spector sessions for that album out there too, like Angel Baby and To Know Her Is To Love Her.

I prefer Lennons solo stuff to be honest. Even his covers album.

Yeah, that's an awesome album. There are a number of unreleased stuff from the Phil Spector sessions for that album out there too, like Angel Baby and To Know Her Is To Love Her.

IMO Rock and Roll is his best solo album.