Great supporting/character actors thread

Some of my favorite actors aren't the main guys in the film, but the ones who can show up for a few minutes and make a shitty movie great when they're in it.

You can count A-list movie stars, if it was that good of a scene, and not just because they were just making an appearance.

Put it this way, what would Godfather be without Duvall and Cazale?

Guest NGOG

There are so many actors who've portrayed supporting characters sublimely.

Christopher Waltz

Samuel L Jackson

Tim Roth

Michael Caine

Brendan Gleeson

Daniel Day-Lewis

Jack Nicholson

Jack Palance

Jeff Bridges

Morgan Freeman

I only came into this thread to mention John Cazale but the thieving bastard OP already did that :lol: (you forgot James Caan)

When it comes down to it, there was no one true "star" in Godfather. I don't think Brando dominated the entire movie, or Pacino. Caan to me was on equal footing because he had just done "Brian's Song", and would've been considered one of the stars of the movie at that time. No one knew who Pacino was unless they saw "Panic in Needle Park" - which most didn't. I think everyone has their favorite supporting players in that film - Connie is nails on chalkboard annoying that you enjoy seeing her get slapped around, and also enjoy seeing Sonny kick her husband's ass in the street, and by the end of the movie, realize that Michael was one cold blooded motherfucker, which we assume the war was an influence on keeping that cool. The only time he's sweating it out is in the restaurant where it's a "no turning back" scene.

There are so many actors who've portrayed supporting characters sublimely.

Christopher Waltz

Samuel L Jackson

Tim Roth

Michael Caine

Brendan Gleeson

Daniel Day-Lewis

Jack Nicholson

Jack Palance

Jeff Bridges

Morgan Freeman

Can you name a few movies, I can't think of a movie where Daniel Day Lewis was a supporting actor, except Gangs of NY.

Guest NGOG

Can you name a few movies, I can't think of a movie where Daniel Day Lewis was a supporting actor, except Gangs of NY.

For me, what you have described as a supporting role was actually a leading role. I am referring to films like A Room with a View and My Beautiful Laundrette. Edited by NGOG

For me, what you have described as a supporting role was actually a leading role. I am referring to films like A Room with a View and My Beautiful Laundrette.

I guess with him being picky about movie roles and a lot of time in between movies, you'd have to go that far back. Looks like we'll get a new GNR CD before we'll get a new movie with him in it. He's going to be 60 by the time he re-emerges, if this turns out to be true.

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/daniel-day-lewis-plans-5-year-acting-sabbatical-to-live-on-farm

Gary Oldman (the king scene stealer and often brings his best when playing a supporting character)

Tracy Ullman

Tim Roth

Harry Dean Stanton

Warren Oates

Tom Noonan

Giovanni Ribisi

William Fichtner

Michael Wincott

Michael Shannon

Brad Dourif

Elias Koteas

Chris Sarandon