Is "Dad Rock" anything more than a derogatory term coined by dipshits to slag artists that are now considered classic rock?

Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

Only now after many many years, in his 50s now, is he starting to show some signs of having been awake during all these so called cultural revolutions that he lived through, his ears'll prick up when he hears Mind Games by John Lennon or Maggie May by Rod Stewart or Come On Eileen or whatever.

And you'd be suprised how many people are like that, its why i take a sort of sideways view of young people who seem to think each generation is identifies itself by music, the truth of it is the majority of society couldn't give a second toss about pop music, they just think its a load of bollocks.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is Sultans of Swing is one of the very few songs played daily on classic rock radio that doesn't get old for me.

Are you yourself old enough to be put into the crowd who really appreciates dad rock? Because that song is exactly what I thought of.

Dire Straits is too cool to be dad rock. I refuse to let it be characterized as such! :lol:

You like Dire Straights but hate Steely Dan?...pretty much the same shit really.....and I like both bands......
I've heard this before but I really don't see it. Granted, I've only heard very litle Steely Dan (just two albums once) and only because I've seen this comparison done. Steely Dan sounded more like a jazz fusion band to me. Dire Straits is low key rock'n'roll at first that later morphs into Pink Floyd style prog rock.
Not the same in the literal sense but both make easy listening music IMHO.....Steely Dan's early albums were closer to Dire then the later albums like Aja...

Check out the SD Can't Buy a Thrill..........

I am a big SD fan but also like DS......

Easy listening music? What's that?

What's hard listening? You have to do push ups while it plays?

Guest Len B'stard

Dire Straits is too cool to be dad rock. I refuse to let it be characterized as such! :lol:

You like Dire Straights but hate Steely Dan?...pretty much the same shit really.....and I like both bands......
I've heard this before but I really don't see it. Granted, I've only heard very litle Steely Dan (just two albums once) and only because I've seen this comparison done. Steely Dan sounded more like a jazz fusion band to me. Dire Straits is low key rock'n'roll at first that later morphs into Pink Floyd style prog rock.
Not the same in the literal sense but both make easy listening music IMHO.....Steely Dan's early albums were closer to Dire then the later albums like Aja...

The presumption there being that push ups are particularly hard :D

The presumption there being that push ups are particularly hard :D

Well they are for me. I look like the figure you draw when you play hangman.

All right, differential calculus instead of pushups, if you prefer. (I personally find the former the easier of the two.)

If you go through Steely Dan and Dire Straits albums, there's similarities as far as the early albums go, but the bigger they got, they had very little in common - we know Knopfler sat in and did session work for one of the "Gaucho" songs, but Mark said he didn't even know why they bothered giving him credit on the album because it was so minimal.

I think their live shows from 1974 sounded great. Why they never released those live tapes is beyond me, because that Live in America is flat out boring to listen to (and so is the Dire Straits CD with the satellite dishes on the cover).

Dad rock doesn't mean classic rock.

The Pistols, Joy Division, MBV, etc are not dad rock.

Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, REO Speedwagon, Dire Straits... THAT'S dad rock.

Is "Dad Rock" anything more than a derogatory term coined by dipshits to slag artists that are now considered classic rock?

yes, it is

If it was it's pretty fuckin' accurate. Honestly, it's unsettling to the stomach to see young kids listening to a bunch of retired old granddads prance around the place in their fuckin' rent-a-rockstar kits trying to not to put their hips out for £500 a ticket.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Both of you are hipsters so your opinions are irrelevant as fuck

Edited by Crash Diet

If it was it's pretty fuckin' accurate. Honestly, it's unsettling to the stomach to see young kids listening to a bunch of retired old granddads prance around the place in their fuckin' rent-a-rockstar kits trying to not to put their hips out for £500 a ticket.

I can kind of relate to the term, but I think it's idiotic all the same.

Like people have said, almost everything will be Dad rock at some point. When you are a kid, your parents are probably the ones who introduce you to music. So you get into some of what they like, and it's inevitably stuff that came out 10-20 years ago. And eventually you branch off into things that you like. A lot of the stuff I was introduced to, and even some of the things I branched off into liking on my own, I've kind of lost the passion for. I think it's simply on account of the fact that I have listened to these songs for years. Eventually they become old. It sucks, because there was magic there at one point for me and I'd like there to always be magic, but it's hard to get as excited about a song on the five thousandth listen as it was on the 1st and 2nd listen. So the songs you once loved eventually become a little old and stale. You know they are good tunes but because they are worn out it becomes Dad rock. The lustre is gone, the songs are kind of lame now, so let's call this stuff Dad rock.

It's no doubt used as a derogatory term - so this might be why some bands escape the label. It's hard to criticise bands that are undoubtedly cool and will always be held in the highest regard.

But it is dumb. So what if a bunch of young kids want to listen to a bunch of retired granddads? You shouldn't like music just because your friends do or because it's the "in" thing. You should like music because it connects with you. And if little 10 year old Johnny gets off on Dire Straits then that's what he should listen to. It ain't a choice to like a song, right? You either like it or you don't, and how easy listening it is or when the song was made has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

And the truth is that dad rock > kid rock* most of the time.

*(not the artist)

Edited by KBear

Guest Len B'stard

yes, it is

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Both of you are hipsters so your opinions are irrelevant as fuck

OR, alternatively, you could engage your fuckin' brain before you speak and think about it a bit and realise 'hang on, Lennon, Hendrix, Townshend loads of these people that make up what we now call Classic Rock were the most innovative restless forward thinking musicians that popular music had ever seen up to that point, people that didn't wanna settle on their Grandadses thing and wanted to push music forward and keep it fresh and exciting, thats why they inspired generations and are what they are today so, hang on, is it not slightly redundant of me 40 years later to be trying to make these bands and their music into some sort of holy bedrock staple of music forevermore'.

The fact is that music fans kill music for themselves and make it all REALLY uninviting to anyone on the outside because it's just this fuckin' nazi thing of you gotta like this, this and this or else your opinion don't count and you're being a 'hipster' or whatever the fuck. I love The Beatles, The Who etc as much as anyone and anyone whoose seen me blather on on this forum'll know that but at the same time i want something new and i want something new all the time.

The fact is that the shit is fucking old and as much as in being old it represents a lot of positive things at the same time it represents a lot of negative things, old attitudes, old styles, old well trodden musical paths, old themes, old everything. Now like i said, a lot of positive too but a lot thats just really fuckin' old. And i'm sorry but here in 2013 i don't wanna fuckin' be a fuckin' old stereotype, i don't wanna have long hair, i don't wanna wear band t shirts and jeans all the fuckin' time, i don't wanna sit around in a living room listening to Led Zeppelin III with a bunch of mates (if i'm lucky) i wannabe out in the world living with people being a part of whats happening now, here, today...

I can't believe that we've come to such point in human history that something as ridiculous as the deification of popstars is going on and i'm alive to witness it, it really is breathtaking :lol: Just cuz a things time is up don't mean it never was wonderful.

Guest Len B'stard

I can kind of relate to the term, but I think it's idiotic all the same.

Like people have said, almost everything will be Dad rock at some point. When you are a kid, your parents are probably the ones who introduce you to music. So you get into some of what they like, and it's inevitably stuff that came out 10-20 years ago. And eventually you branch off into things that you like. A lot of the stuff I was introduced to, and even some of the things I branched off into liking on my own, I've kind of lost the passion for. I think it's simply on account of the fact that I have listened to these songs for years. Eventually they become old. It sucks, because there was magic there at one point for me and I'd like there to always be magic, but it's hard to get as excited about a song on the five thousandth listen as it was on the 1st and 2nd listen. So the songs you once loved eventually become a little old and stale. You know they are good tunes but because they are worn out it becomes Dad rock. The lustre is gone, the songs are kind of lame now, so let's call this stuff Dad rock.

It's no doubt used as a derogatory term - so this might be why some bands escape the label. It's hard to criticise bands that are undoubtedly cool and will always be held in the highest regard.

But it is dumb. So what if a bunch of young kids want to listen to a bunch of retired granddads? You shouldn't like music just because your friends do or because it's the "in" thing. You should like music because it connects with you. And if little 10 year old Johnny gets off on Dire Straits then that's what he should listen to. It ain't a choice to like a song, right? You either like it or you don't, and how easy listening it is or when the song was made has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

And the truth is that dad rock > kid rock* most of the time.

*(not the artist)

It's more a case of what you were saying in the first paragraph, of getting tired of a particular thing, it's not a measure of disrespect to the music itself or the quality therein, it's a measure of disrespect to the notion that those things should be propagated as the holy grail to the exclusion of other things. To which i guess the answer is 'show us your fuckin' other things' and if you ain't got none then there ain't no fuckin' conversation i guess.

But it's got nothing to do with necessarily copying your friends and everything to do with realising how a thing is out of date. I'm sorry if people are having a hard time with that concept but it's just true and you can call it being like your mates and copying society or whatever if you like but i'm sorry, i'm not gonna go out there, however much i might wanna after watching something on TV, wearing something like someone out of King Henry the 8ths times cuz it just ain't that fuckin' day anymore :lol:

If i was copying my friends i wouldn't be into music at all, new sounds or otherwise.

Edited by sugaraylen