Favorite Doctor (Doctor Who)

Doctor Who  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Poll is divided in Old Series and New Series.

I have only watched the New Series and as much as I loved Tennent (Tenth) Matt Smith has been awesome, especially the second half of Series 7 which I find rather weak. He makes it worth watching.

• Like 1

The last few epsiodes have been very poor.

I think the blame goes to weak writing. They seem to be concentrating on the 50th Anniversary Special. Last week's episode wasn't that bad, but since Moffat has done The Bells of St. John and next week's episode, we just have a weak half of the season.

People talk trash about Moffat but he's written some of the best episodes. The Bells of St. John is really good, I think next week's finale will be great.

Troughton and Ecclestone.

Glad you like Troughton but thought you'd be too young to know him. My 2nd fave would be Davison, watched Dr Who since the late 60s but are the later series as good? Thought it might be too many special effects & not enough storyline, I was told the Dr doesn't go to other galaxies or planets now - is that true?

I didn't know yanks had Dr Who too.

Right back to the 70's in Canada.

Indi channel TVO (kind of our provincial PBS at the time) aired it.

Discovered the show during the Tom Baker era...made for great stoner viewing and conversations.

All time fav is Baker..hands down.

Glad you like Troughton but thought you'd be too young to know him. My 2nd fave would be Davison, watched Dr Who since the late 60s but are the later series as good? Thought it might be too many special effects & not enough storyline, I was told the Dr doesn't go to other galaxies or planets now - is that true?

No that isn't true. They use special effects but they still focus on storylines. Many story arcs span entire seasons. Check them out, they are worth it.

Never even heard of it.

You have to be kidding!!! Even though it's a British show the first viewing was cancelled because YOUR President was shot dead in Dallas. If you aren't from the USA I apologise in advance - please don't tell me you don't know what a dalek is??????

No that isn't true. They use special effects but they still focus on storylines. Many story arcs span entire seasons. Check them out, they are worth it.

Thanks, I will take the time to start from the Rose episodes onwards - I downloaded lots from youtube & burned them to dvd. Wasn't sure if I'd like the more recent seasons.

Definitley start with Rose, after a few episodes you will be hooked. What's great that even though they finally gained a foothold with American audiences, they still keep it to the storyline. The only difference between Rose and the recent episodes is increased budget.

Watch them all in time for the 50th.

Definitley start with Rose, after a few episodes you will be hooked. What's great that even though they finally gained a foothold with American audiences, they still keep it to the storyline. The only difference between Rose and the recent episodes is increased budget.

That will be in November I imagine. America has Dr Who conventions which would be excellent to attend, sadly the 2nd Dr Pat Troughton died of a heart attack in 1987 at one of those. There was footage of his last day answering questions, I love Davros, The Master, The Brigadier etc & my fave companion was Sarah-Jane.

Watched the 5 Doctors over & over, thanks for the heads up on the "new" series as I think there was quite a break for a while. Did you know that Pat Troughton's grandchild played Harry Potter's cousin Dudley in the movies?

Can't believe I've been a fan since the late 60s, makes me feel old.

That will be in November I imagine. America has Dr Who conventions which would be excellent to attend, sadly the 2nd Dr Pat Troughton died of a heart attack in 1987 at one of those. There was footage of his last day answering questions, I love Davros, The Master, The Brigadier etc & my fave companion was Sarah-Jane.

Watched the 5 Doctors over & over, thanks for the heads up on the "new" series as I think there was quite a break for a while. Did you know that Pat Troughton's grandchild played Harry Potter's cousin Dudley in the movies?

Can't believe I've been a fan since the late 60s, makes me feel old.

Sadly at lot of his episodes are lost.

I liked Pertwee's (3rd), eccentric gentleman style, Doctor. Hartnell, Troughton (with his impish hairstyle) and Tom Baker were also great. The ones after them were crap.

Of the new Doctors, Tennant is best. Ecclestone was good but he only stayed for one series before buggering off! Never watched Matt Smith.

Ecclestone only wanted to do one series. Tennant was awesome though. Probably the most popular Doctor since Baker but Matt Smith has been doing a great job. I personally think he is better than David Tennant.

For companions I prefer the ones traveling with Matt Smith. Karen Gillan and Jenna-Louise Coleman are knockouts.

Guest Len B'stard

I stopped watching the new Dr Who, about two seasons into Tennant's reign because I got sick of the political correct stuff being rammed down my throat (e.g. the obligatory 'black' alien).

You what, obligatory black alien? :lol: Fuck off, no there ain't :lol: Reallyyy?!?! Thats classic! I might have to watch it just on the stretch of that, i've not seen a black alien before!

*and verily the door was left open for pun upon pun* :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

That was one thing I never liked about Russel T. Davis when he was the showrunner, he always throws in a few homosexual characters (he himself is gay). I mean gay characters are fine but it seems like there has to be one in every episode. He was too poltically correct. Though the last season with Tennant was amazing.

A lot of fans hate on the current showrunner Steven Moffat, but he doesn't shove the poltical correct crap down your threats like Russel T does. Moffat just kept the story arc going. He also wrote the best episodes under Davis. I just think he is a superior writer.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

• 10 years later...