The Next Album - from what we have heard so far

Guest Gunns

Guest Gunns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnS6LJET7jM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIABzOU37m0

This seems like its going to feature Axl's 'BIG GUNS' - I am loving the general intro, and even if it's long it has a lot of replay value, which the title track on CD doesn't at all. I honestly feel Axl has been holding back his best songs for the next album, and CD was simply the calm before the storm.

I really really hope they cut the intro somewhat for The General... or that it is only the 'Special Effects' track as in the multi-track layers as in Rock Band. Checkmate to me has always sounded decent. It's Axl singing clean without the Mickey Highness.

It is certainly intriguing that multiple people who worked on or heard the album prior to its release stated that the strongest tracks of the entire bunch were some of the ones that remain unreleased.

Bach and Brain listed The General as their favorite (or one of the best)

Marco Beltrami worked on Seven, Soul Monster, The General, and Thyme. Stated that Seven was the best of the bunch.

Axl said that Soul Monster may be his favorite of the group

Pitman listed "Beta's Barn"

I believe Tom Zutaut said Atlas Shrugged was one of the better songs

I think Axl said in the chats that "Checkmate" was a bogus titile, the working title of that song was Jackie Chan

Guest NGOG

Really we have a very limited insight into whatever follows-up Chinese Democracy. I wouldn't be able to say I've heard anything from the next album with the exception of a few incohesive clips that mighn't necessarily still form part of the finished product.

or that it is only the 'Special Effects' track as in the multi-track layers as in Rock Band.

Yep I think this is it. They've only used it as "intro" before welcome to the jungle. Just like the "prostitute" effects they used in Vegas before show started.

Checkmate sounds awesome (I just hope they change the title).

Edited by Jeez

I remember Axl saying in 2002 that the songs they had already played at the times were the less good songs that would be released on CD1 in addition to 14-18 other songs....

That means that he considered The Blues, CD, Madagascar, Riad, and Silkworms to be more of just fillers, obviously something changed if the blues, CD, were released as 2/3 singles....

Axl would never risk (or the label would accept anyways) him not releasing the big guns on CD album. I mean how in hell, even if the label had no say, would he risk such a stituation on the most expensive and talked about album ever?

I'm sure CD II will feature a couple of good songs, but my expectations are really low...

Edited by trqster

It is certainly intriguing that multiple people who worked on or heard the album prior to its release stated that the strongest tracks of the entire bunch were some of the ones that remain unreleased.

Marco Beltrami worked on Seven, Soul Monster, The General, and Thyme. Stated that Seven was the best of the bunch.

I think Axl said in the chats that "Checkmate" was a bogus titile, the working title of that song was Jackie Chan

Why would a band do that?

A comeback album, which took over a decade to release, your trying to jumpstart (and introduce) an entire new band to the public that will make them get over what happened with Duff/Slash/Izzy...........and you purposely choose NOT to put the best songs on it? And not only that, you then sit on those "best songs" for another decade????? It really makes no sense.

A comeback album, which took over a decade to release, your trying to jumpstart (and introduce) an entire new band to the public that will make them get over what happened with Duff/Slash/Izzy...........and you purposely choose NOT to put the best songs on it? And not only that, you then sit on those "best songs" for another decade????? It really makes no sense.

This is Axl Rose were talking about. An enigma.

If it's indeed a triptych and there's some sort of concept then everything is possible, even illogical actions.

As for the next album, I hope it will be more in the same vein as Oh My God and Silkworms, more aggressive and heavy stuff.

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

Because there was a ton of legal crap surrounding the release of CD, and maybe Axl threw them off track to what the best songs were, gave them some of the easier listening pop tracks and said fuck off.

Since when has Axl done things according to this type of logic?

They left Don't Cry, YCBM and November Rain off of AFD because they were already thinking about the next album and thought they didn't fit AFD's flow or vibe as well. They sat on those songs for 4 years, and not because they weren't as good as Anything Goes or Think About You.

Axl said that he considered it a double album. So in his mind, it's probably not any different than having songs like Civil War, Locomotive, Estranged, Breakdown on UYI II, from an artistic perspective. To him, from an artistic standpoint, I'm guessing it's irrelevant that those albums were released on the same day and the CD "double album" was not released all at once.

I think the leaks and individual members decided the tracks.

The other theory is that CD has always been a set of songs and quite a few songs were written with Fortus which were never considered. Atlas seems like the main one that didnt make it.

Then theres songs from 2000 intentions like Oh my god or Silkworms.

I wonder if lyrically its how Axl groups things.

It doesn't always work like that though. Artists do not sit around and consider which of their songs are 'great', 'medicore' and 'weak' (unless they are going to offload the weaker ones on b-sides). The songs we consider to be weaker on Chinese Democracy (e.g. 'If The World', 'Chinese Democracy' and 'Scraped'), may have been considered 'big guns' by Axl himself when he was working on the album. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If Axl truly was aiming towards a double record, it is probably more a case that Axl had '30 A List' songs'. Axl in fact when interviewed suggests that the two albums were demarcated by style, not, quality. So the more traditional songs ended-up on Democracy and the electronic songs on CD2.