Apparently Slash wanted Fortus in his touring band

The Glow Inc.

Slash played Out Ta Get Me approx. 24 times before Appetite was recorded. It is certainly the same man.

Of all the petty minded things, it takes a particular mean spirited person to enjoy another person's work yet seek to undermine the author on any possible occasion. DJ Ashba? So are you really saying that Slash played it hundreds of times, wrote the solo in early 1986, recorded it in late 1986, played it in venues ranging from sweaty LA clubs to gigantic stadiums, to millions of people, and all of a sudden this emo hack comes along in 2009 and suddenly plays it 'correctly' for the first time in the song's existence!! Volcano, you are truly demented.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash played Out Ta Get Me approx. 24 times before Appetite was recorded. It is certainly the same man.

Of all the petty minded things, it takes a particular mean spirited person to enjoy another person's work yet seek to undermine the author on any possible occasion. DJ Ashba? So are you really saying that Slash played it hundreds of times, wrote the solo in early 1986, recorded it in late 1986, played it in venues ranging from sweaty LA clubs to gigantic stadiums, to millions of people, and all of a sudden this emo hack comes along in 2009 and suddenly plays it 'correctly' for the first time in the song's existence!! Volcano, you are truly demented.

Did you just say demented? :awesomeface:

77672131.jpg

really, nothing new from him.

Fortus was a well known session player within 'the industry' before joining GN'R, from what I understand.

This and that is it. It's the same reason Slash used Josh Freese on his album. They're both ridiculously talented musicians known for their professionalism and work ethic.

Fortus said at a seminar that it would "blow you guy's minds" if people knew how many bands he played guitar for on their albums. Mostly unbeknowst to the artists. He then said that Freese did a ton more of it than him. Producers have them come in at night and clean up or re-record the parts.

It would be interesting to know when that offer was made, though.

That's interesting, it's the music industry version of airbrushing underwear models. I just imagining a load of guitarists and drummers now listening to their albums thinking 'God, I sound shit hot on that'. Lol
That's been done since at least the 50s.
For instance, Jimmy Page was one of the most known unknown session musicians who did that. Many guitar parts on classic albums by classic bands before Led Zep were done by him, without the knowledge of the bandmembers.
This is why Dave and Ray from the KInks still maintain they played the rhythm guitar parts on You Really Got Me while Page played them after re-recording them when The KInks were told they were done. Jon Lord (Deep Purple) confirmed this too because he was part of that recording session, touching up keys for the Kinks album. But Jimmy then did not want to get the credit because he was not paid fully for it and had an argument with the producer who wanted to use the fame of Page to promote the song and other songs he played rhythm guitar on. So Page is now refuting it.
Similarly, some insider people claim some of the rhythm guitar parts on Appetite are played by George Lynch, not Slash because he was too wasted most times. So it's not just Lynch's custom made amp that you hear on there, by coincidence. Allegedly of course, legal speech is needed here ;)

I doubt Slash had the guitarist from Dokken covering his ass, esp. on songs they had done live a bunch of times live. Lynch would be bragging about that shit by now if it was true.

Shel Talmy used Jimmy Page for a lot of sessions. Pretty much anything he produced, Jimmy Page had a part in somehow.

He was someone who would get called because he could mimic other guitarists. It's really when he was the bassist in the Yardbirds where he developed the muscles for showmanship and becoming a better player, and it's only because he was watching Jeff Beck every night and learning things off of him.

Page has taken a lot of credit for things he may or may not have done, so if someone's going to ask him if he did such and such a session, he's going to go along with it, but if he's doing 5 sessions a day, is he going to have that clear of a memory? Doubt it, not without any notes he still has.

Dalsh I think you are mistaken...I've heard on numerous occasions that Slash didn't record all the guitar parts on Out Ta Get Me...even the solo. Doesn't mean he didn't write the solo, he was just not capable of recording it properly.

Also imo the solo has never been properly played live until Dj Ashba.

George Lynch is a really far fetched name to bring up. That's fine if you think someone else did it, but it's highly unlikely it's him. Izzy could've played it, but it sounds like Slash's 'fingerprints'.

If you said Andy McCoy or someone that was somewhat close to GNR in some way, I'd go along with it, or even someone from Heart b/c Clink engineered for them.

I think Axl would have said something by now just to diminish Slash's contribution to the band - there's no doubt about that.

Fortus was a well known session player within 'the industry' before joining GN'R, from what I understand.

This and that is it. It's the same reason Slash used Josh Freese on his album. They're both ridiculously talented musicians known for their professionalism and work ethic.

Fortus said at a seminar that it would "blow you guy's minds" if people knew how many bands he played guitar for on their albums. Mostly unbeknowst to the artists. He then said that Freese did a ton more of it than him. Producers have them come in at night and clean up or re-record the parts.

It would be interesting to know when that offer was made, though.

That's interesting, it's the music industry version of airbrushing underwear models. I just imagining a load of guitarists and drummers now listening to their albums thinking 'God, I sound shit hot on that'. Lol
That's been done since at least the 50s.
For instance, Jimmy Page was one of the most known unknown session musicians who did that. Many guitar parts on classic albums by classic bands before Led Zep were done by him, without the knowledge of the bandmembers.
This is why Dave and Ray from the KInks still maintain they played the rhythm guitar parts on You Really Got Me while Page played them after re-recording them when The KInks were told they were done. Jon Lord (Deep Purple) confirmed this too because he was part of that recording session, touching up keys for the Kinks album. But Jimmy then did not want to get the credit because he was not paid fully for it and had an argument with the producer who wanted to use the fame of Page to promote the song and other songs he played rhythm guitar on. So Page is now refuting it.
Similarly, some insider people claim some of the rhythm guitar parts on Appetite are played by George Lynch, not Slash because he was too wasted most times. So it's not just Lynch's custom made amp that you hear on there, by coincidence. Allegedly of course, legal speech is needed here ;)

I doubt Slash had the guitarist from Dokken covering his ass, esp. on songs they had done live a bunch of times live. Lynch would be bragging about that shit by now if it was true.

Shel Talmy used Jimmy Page for a lot of sessions. Pretty much anything he produced, Jimmy Page had a part in somehow.

He was someone who would get called because he could mimic other guitarists. It's really when he was the bassist in the Yardbirds where he developed the muscles for showmanship and becoming a better player, and it's only because he was watching Jeff Beck every night and learning things off of him.

Page has taken a lot of credit for things he may or may not have done, so if someone's going to ask him if he did such and such a session, he's going to go along with it, but if he's doing 5 sessions a day, is he going to have that clear of a memory? Doubt it, not without any notes he still has.

Dalsh I think you are mistaken...I've heard on numerous occasions that Slash didn't record all the guitar parts on Out Ta Get Me...even the solo. Doesn't mean he didn't write the solo, he was just not capable of recording it properly.

Also imo the solo has never been properly played live until Dj Ashba.

George Lynch is a really far fetched name to bring up. That's fine if you think someone else did it, but it's highly unlikely it's him. Izzy could've played it, but it sounds like Slash's 'fingerprints'.

If you said Andy McCoy or someone that was somewhat close to GNR in some way, I'd go along with it, or even someone from Heart b/c Clink engineered for them.

I think Axl would have said something by now just to diminish Slash's contribution to the band - there's no doubt about that.

I don't even know who George Lynch is. I just heard someone else had recorded the parts.

Maybe it's Izzy.

Do you really think Axl is that petty?

Edited by volcano62

Was Dj in Bulletboyz when they did Smooth up in Ya? that and Up All Night by Slaughter were awesome.

Mark Slaughter had quite the voice back then.

Did they ever make another record? Ive really never told anyone I had that tape. But I liked that tape.

It is bullshit Volcano and here is the proof:

This version was recorded by Marc about six months before Guns N' Roses had even began to record Appetite for Destruction.

Are you kidding me? The solo is nothing like was recorded.

The arrangements are also different. For example he plays the beginning lead near the end.

It is known in the producing circle that about a tenth of the rhythm parts on Appetite were re-done by Lynch because Slash was all over the place being high/drunk.
This does not mean it was entire songs that were re-done. We are talking riffs and chords pasted in here and there. No solos. There were deadlines that Slash could not meet because of his condition.
The amp you hear and is considered to be the trademark Slash Appetite amp is actually Lynch's own custom made amp. Just listen to the recordings of Lynch a bit before and around that era. You will hear the exact same amp, but played with a SuperStrat on Dokken's song The Hunter (1985).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lno_cvDC1Kw

Irony being of course that Slash now has an Appetite era tribute Marshall amp, Marshall cloning Lynch's own custom amp and slapping a Slash label on it.
Slash told the engineer/producer during the recording of Appetite how he wanted the sound of Lynch and they tried to copy it but never came close. So they asked Lynch to get his amp in and from there on it evolved into him re-recording parts Slash couldn't get right because of his intoxication. The story how he 'stole' the amp from a custom shop that lent it to him is bogus (just like 90% of the stories around GNR), also fed by the amp guys themselves to have their 10 mins of fame and have new gullible customers they could rip off. Lynch was storing his amp there and it was transported to the studio after Lynch OK'd it.
Why isn't this officially confirmed by anyone? Contracts and reputation. It's like a profession secret, like doctor's and lawyers have too. Guys like Lynch do this a lot and they get the job because they shut up about it and get paid nicely. Vai used to do it too.
Also, none of the band members know this. Just the producer/engineer, 2-3 guys from the record company and Lynch and his guitar/amp tech. But these stories are told during some parties amongst some people.
There is so much fakery going on the industry, especially the recording sessions and gear used. So many parts done by session musicians after the 'artists' thought they were done and it sounded a bit different to them because of the mastering and mixing, hehe. I know, I am in that world and I play those guitar parts too. You just use the gear they used, alter your style to fit theirs and no one hears it's someone else. But it sounds tighter or more energetic etc because the original guitarist can't deliver it for whatever reason.
Another funny story is how everyone thinks Ritchie Blackmore used Marshalls during his classic Deep Purple era. While he just had a Vox fitted inside his Marshall stack that was overdriven through boost pedals. Marshall kept paying him for 'endorsing' Marshalls. He just thought the Marshalls looked cool, but sounded like un-musical shit. His own words to me about 8 years ago when I met him when I was 'sweeping the floor' (read redo parts but they knew me as the guy sweeping the floor after they were done) at one of his friend's recordings.

And the other guy talking about Page. If you read my post you would have seen Page denies he played on them, so there goes your theory. But people that were part of that session confirm Page played them, including Jon Lord who has no reason to lie about it.

It is bullshit Volcano and here is the proof:

This version was recorded by Marc about six months before Guns N' Roses had even began to record Appetite for Destruction.

Are you kidding me? The solo is nothing like was recorded.

The arrangements are also different. For example he plays the beginning lead near the end.

The basics of the solo are all in place, and, if anything, that solo is more technically proficent than the studio version as Slash fleshes those basic notes out with fast fills.