Apparently Slash wanted Fortus in his touring band

The Glow Inc.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron played with Duff. Dj had dinner with Slash.

As far back as late 2008 or early 2009 Axl said that didn't begrudge Duff. He said at some point then he'd be willing to work with Duff again. Then of course you have the two formally reconciling in 2010.

Regarding Dj's dinner with Slash, that was quite fleeting and amongst a group. As Dj said himself, he doesn't know Slash personally.

Adler and Ashba were both - briefly - in the Bulletboys together.

There was no way to possibly envisage that Dj would then end up in GNR. As long as Dj doesn't seen to be publicly and regularly in touch with either persons, you could see Axl raising no problem. After all, Adler labelled Dj and his colleagues 'hacks'.

I'm sure Richard and Slash could come up with some pretty decent material together. Then again, he's loyal to Axl so it probably won't happen.

Richard is very solid at playing any style and has a nice flair for clean lead parts ( always love his jams and his lead parts during KOHD ) and Slash has a very distinctive tone and sense of melody so they would clearly write some solid songs together.

I often think Richard should take the time, someday, to get really creatively involved into a band. Right now he's a great live asset for many artists but whenever he's improvising you get to hear what type of player he really can be.

I'm sure Richard and Slash could come up with some pretty decent material together. Then again, he's loyal to Axl so it probably won't happen.

Richard is very solid at playing any style and has a nice flair for clean lead parts ( always love his jams and his lead parts during KOHD ) and Slash has a very distinctive tone and sense of melody so they would clearly write some solid songs together.

I often think Richard should take the time, someday, to get really creatively involved into a band. Right now he's a great live asset for many artists but whenever he's improvising you get to hear what type of player he really can be.

Richard would bring out the best in Slash..he would challenge him.

interesting

I always think 4tus like a guitar geek Izzy, lol

I really wanted to hear more songs from Richard on the next record!

interesting

I always think 4tus like a guitar geek Izzy, lol

I really wanted to hear more songs from Richard on the next record!

I was gutted when I found out 4tus barley wrote anything on CD

Was Dj in Bulletboyz when they did Smooth up in Ya? that and Up All Night by Slaughter were awesome.

No, that is the early 'classic' (if they deserve that term) era, 1987-1993. Adler and Ashba were briefly in the reformed Bulletboys of 1998. This is what wiki says:

In 1998, the group reformed, with Torien and Vencent adding former Guns N' Roses drummer Steven Adler and future Guns N' Roses guitarist DJ Ashba[2] briefly with a tour of the US planned with Faster Pussycat, Bang Tango and Enuff Z'nuff.[2] In 1999, Ashba left the group to form Beautiful Creatures with Bang Tango singer Joe Lesté while Adler left also sometime after, going on to form Adler's Appetite in 2003.[8] A compilation album, titled Burning Cats and Amputees, was released in 2000, through Deadline Records.

Guest cbgnr666

Was Dj in Bulletboyz when they did Smooth up in Ya? that and Up All Night by Slaughter were awesome.

Mark Slaughter had quite the voice back then.

Fortus was a well known session player within 'the industry' before joining GN'R, from what I understand.

This and that is it. It's the same reason Slash used Josh Freese on his album. They're both ridiculously talented musicians known for their professionalism and work ethic.

Fortus said at a seminar that it would "blow you guy's minds" if people knew how many bands he played guitar for on their albums. Mostly unbeknowst to the artists. He then said that Freese did a ton more of it than him. Producers have them come in at night and clean up or re-record the parts.

It would be interesting to know when that offer was made, though.

Fortus was a well known session player within 'the industry' before joining GN'R, from what I understand.

This and that is it. It's the same reason Slash used Josh Freese on his album. They're both ridiculously talented musicians known for their professionalism and work ethic.

Fortus said at a seminar that it would "blow you guy's minds" if people knew how many bands he played guitar for on their albums. Mostly unbeknowst to the artists. He then said that Freese did a ton more of it than him. Producers have them come in at night and clean up or re-record the parts.

That's interesting, it's the music industry version of airbrushing underwear models. I just imagining a load of guitarists and drummers now listening to their albums thinking 'God, I sound shit hot on that'. Lol

That was amusing to read, watching a fan putting the foot in his mouth. Most of the musicians that were considered by Slash or Axl were referred by friends, musicians, going to clubs/festivals, getting You Tube videos, demos, etc, but there was usually a "someone who knew someone" going on.

Incestuous is a good way to describe it, but most of them have to go to LA, Nashville, or NY to do session work and bump into each other, no matter where they live.

Slash has put together different bands since leaving GNR, so who knows when this happened.

That's interesting, it's the music industry version of airbrushing underwear models. I just imagining a load of guitarists and drummers now listening to their albums thinking 'God, I sound shit hot on that'. Lol
That's been done since at least the 50s.
For instance, Jimmy Page was one of the most known unknown session musicians who did that. Many guitar parts on classic albums by classic bands before Led Zep were done by him, without the knowledge of the bandmembers.
This is why Dave and Ray from the KInks still maintain they played the rhythm guitar parts on You Really Got Me while Page played them after re-recording them when The KInks were told they were done. Jon Lord (Deep Purple) confirmed this too because he was part of that recording session, touching up keys for the Kinks album. But Jimmy then did not want to get the credit because he was not paid fully for it and had an argument with the producer who wanted to use the fame of Page to promote the song and other songs he played rhythm guitar on. So Page is now refuting it.
Similarly, some insider people claim some of the rhythm guitar parts on Appetite are played by George Lynch, not Slash because he was too wasted most times. So it's not just Lynch's custom made amp that you hear on there, by coincidence. Allegedly of course, legal speech is needed here ;)

Exactly this. Plus Freese and Fortus are naturally studio musicians so it isn't like this (if this is indeed true) is totally out of left field

Similarly, some insider people claim some of the rhythm guitar parts on Appetite are played by George Lynch, not Slash because he was too wasted most times. So it's not just Lynch's custom made amp that you hear on there, by coincidence. Allegedly of course, legal speech is needed here ;)

I've heard it's only one track (Out to get me)

well, at least Joe man up and apologises for his comment

Still, sad that his opinion is because 'Slash said so'.

Not that it matters anyway. I assume the offer was before Richard joined GN'R.

Otherwize it was a shit move.

Edited by NicoRourke

For instance, Jimmy Page was one of the most known unknown session musicians who did that. Many guitar parts on classic albums by classic bands before Led Zep were done by him, without the knowledge of the bandmembers.
This is why Dave and Ray from the KInks still maintain they played the rhythm guitar parts on You Really Got Me while Page played them after re-recording them when The KInks were told they were done. Jon Lord (Deep Purple) confirmed this too because he was part of that recording session, touching up keys for the Kinks album. But Jimmy then did not want to get the credit because he was not paid fully for it and had an argument with the producer who wanted to use the fame of Page to promote the song and other songs he played rhythm guitar on. So Page is now refuting it.

I doubt Slash had the guitarist from Dokken covering his ass, esp. on songs they had done live a bunch of times live. Lynch would be bragging about that shit by now if it was true.

Shel Talmy used Jimmy Page for a lot of sessions. Pretty much anything he produced, Jimmy Page had a part in somehow.

He was someone who would get called because he could mimic other guitarists. It's really when he was the bassist in the Yardbirds where he developed the muscles for showmanship and becoming a better player, and it's only because he was watching Jeff Beck every night and learning things off of him.

Page has taken a lot of credit for things he may or may not have done, so if someone's going to ask him if he did such and such a session, he's going to go along with it, but if he's doing 5 sessions a day, is he going to have that clear of a memory? Doubt it, not without any notes he still has.

I doubt Slash had the guitarist from Dokken covering his ass, esp. on songs they had done live a bunch of times live. Lynch would be bragging about that shit by now if it was true.

Shel Talmy used Jimmy Page for a lot of sessions. Pretty much anything he produced, Jimmy Page had a part in somehow.

He was someone who would get called because he could mimic other guitarists. It's really when he was the bassist in the Yardbirds where he developed the muscles for showmanship and becoming a better player, and it's only because he was watching Jeff Beck every night and learning things off of him.

Page has taken a lot of credit for things he may or may not have done, so if someone's going to ask him if he did such and such a session, he's going to go along with it, but if he's doing 5 sessions a day, is he going to have that clear of a memory? Doubt it, not without any notes he still has.

Dalsh I think you are mistaken...I've heard on numerous occasions that Slash didn't record all the guitar parts on Out Ta Get Me...even the solo. Doesn't mean he didn't write the solo, he was just not capable of recording it properly.

Also imo the solo has never been properly played live until Dj Ashba.

Dalsh I think you are mistaken...I've heard on numerous occasions that Slash didn't record all the guitar parts on Out Ta Get Me...even the solo. Doesn't mean he didn't write the solo, he was just not capable of recording it properly.

I remember seeing the whole Out Ta Get Me rumor on the AFD Wiki a few years back however I specifically remember looking for a citation or at least any other sort of source and could not trace that claim back to anything.

So if I had to address the rumor that another guitarist played on OTGM I would consider it complete hogwash

I remember seeing the whole Out Ta Get Me rumor on the AFD Wiki a few years back however I specifically remember looking for a citation or at least any other sort of source and could not trace that claim back to anything.

So if I had to address the rumor that another guitarist played on OTGM I would consider it complete hogwash

To be fair I don't think things like this are released to the public. It's embarrassing to the label and the band.

To be fair I don't think things like this are released to the public. It's embarrassing to the label and the band.

Sure but at the same time I don't think it would be wise to assume that something that appeared once on Wikipedia and vanished without a single credible source to back it up really solidifies it as something that actually happened