when presented with these contracts, slash shoulda

cuneo77

when supposely axl wanted the gnr name, if i were slash and had issues with stuff i woulda said ok BUT i want:

-to be on time for shows

-creative control (partial)

-say on who he plays guitar with

i bet slash would still be there had he done that, fortus woulda replaced huge/tobias/yoko and slash is cool with him.. just a theory, he didnt think it thru...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Dizzy. They ahould hever have quit. Even if Axl brought in some other players to make some industrial rap. If they just hung in there while doing solo projects they could still be touring now and put one record which by looks of things would have been awesome.

Dizzy was right.

Maybe but no need to quit or sign anything. It mayhave a pain but get sober, chill a bit, agree to help Axl if you can do some older guns style stuff at same time. But dont quit the biggest band in the world.

Also with Slash and Duff on board no way would the record be delayed til 2008. it would have been done by 2000. TIL, Catcher and Stepahnie Seymour ballads.

CD sold 3 mil making 30 mil in the worst era for cd sales without the lineup. With Slash late 90s, 6 milmaybe 60 mil. With that money maybe some videos.

Axl was making it impossible to stay happily in the band. They did quit, but axl made it a hostile working environment.

Hostile working environment for a band that once lived on the streets of LA? Hahahaha.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek though, working with Axl in the UYI era can't have been much fun for them.

Edited by Flayer

where does the line "just shut up and sing" come from?

heres where I hear the weasles snipe on the old band for abandoning Axl. Axl took control of the band..they trusted him at one point in time...but seriously..at the time im sure it made sense to get the question answered about who owned what in the event of a break up. At the time they were exploding and the biggest band in the world.. who could imagine that something that big would go to the shitter in such a short time over something like creative control? I would have rolled that contract into a tight little ball and shoved up who ever concieved the idea ass.

Had they stayed together under that contract ..GNR would have lost a vital element even moreso than it did and that is the abiltity to function as a band. It would in essence tell the "band"- you play when I say play, you do what I want you to do, You move when I say move and you wait as long as it takes till I say its time to move ahead. It in essence woul have held them hostage to Axl and his frame of mind and reliant on his motivations and his muse to create something that HE liked and approved of. Its now history and not prophesy because that is exactly what happened in the era leading up to CD and the era following it(now)

It became apparent to Duff that it was AXLS vision and his alone and his part in the story, his contribution was not as a memeber of GNR. He could also see that it was going to take years for Axl to get it together enough to make it work.

Its not hard to see that Axl went solo..and he drug the GNR name along with him. Its still up to him how he intends to carry on.

It's almost like Izzy knew what Axl was doing and told him to fuck himself. He never said when he signed the papers.

Slash and Duff seemed oblivious when they were hit with the papers by the assistant that remains nameless.

Sounds about right. Slash & Duff were all fucked up....and Izzy gave Axl the old Fuck You!

Axl would've agreed, Slash would've signed it, axl would've kept doing what he was doing.

Even then, Slash couldn't predict the future, he didn't know axl's plans. Even if he did, he was too high and drunk to care at the time.

Maybe but no need to quit or sign anything. It mayhave a pain but get sober, chill a bit, agree to help Axl if you can do some older guns style stuff at same time. But dont quit the biggest band in the world.

Also with Slash and Duff on board no way would the record be delayed til 2008. it would have been done by 2000. TIL, Catcher and Stepahnie Seymour ballads.

CD sold 3 mil making 30 mil in the worst era for cd sales without the lineup. With Slash late 90s, 6 milmaybe 60 mil. With that money maybe some videos.

I doubt they would've helped get CD out any faster.

Axl made them miserable, probably on purpose so they would quit. Axl wanted to do industrial stuff, and slash got in the way. Duff and matt stayed onboard until 1997, when they both left, that's when axl started to talk about releasing new music. You don't think that's a coincidence, do you? Slash wanted no industrial music, no ballads, and to be the only guitarist. He left, axl was able to hire Finck and eventually Bucket. Duff left and that gave him room to bring in Tommy. Matt left, or was fired, depending on who you believe, and Axl was able to bring in Pod, Josh, and eventually Brain. Axl then was left with Dizzy, who wasn't in the way, so he was able to stay. With a band that would listen to his orders, Axl was able to begin work on the next album and tour.

I don't think they would've helped put CD out any faster though. They had been working on an album since 1993, and couldn't put out new material. They dumped that in 98 and started clean with the new band. Bucket and Finck were bugging axl to put out the new album, all the members besides axl recorded their parts over and over again, but axl was set on making it "perfect".

I dont see how Axl went solo on UYI. He has Nov Rain, Estranged, Dead Horse, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, maybe RNDTH. The rest is really left over AFD material or Izzy songs and covers.

Izzy songs - YCBM, Dont Cry, Dust n Bones, DtJ, 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Pretty tied up, Back off Bitch

Slash - always a bit hazy The Garden, Perfect Crime, Coma, Dont Damn me, Locomotive, Garden of Eden, bad apples, Civil War - these are the ones he mentions in his book as to being heavily involved with.

DUFF - Get in the Ring, So Fine

Edited by wasted

I think you better consult your Illusion booklets again.

Back off Bitch is a Rose song, Rose/Tobias to be more exact.

Perfect Crime is Izzy.

The Garden is an Arkeen/James/Rose number from the Hell House days.

Duff also had a hand in Civil War.

I think you better consult your Illusion booklets again.

Back off Bitch is a Rose song, Rose/Tobias to be more exact.

Perfect Crime is Izzy.

The Garden is an Arkeen/James/Rose number from the Hell House days.

Duff also had a hand in Civil War.

I got pretty close off the top of my head. I knew The Garden was written by Arkeen etc but Slash talked about recording. Civil War was from a time they all worked the songs, Slash talked a lot about it. Bad apples has almost the full band.

Point was the songwriting is pretty equal and far from an Axl solo record. I think its more that they didnt want to do Axls epics.

I dont really see the problem, Izzy has a lot of songs, Slash has his stuff. Bill Price mixed it? Great guitar sound imo. Maybe Izzys stuff not loose enough though. Nailed Nov rain and Estranged.

Thats probably what he was thinking about as he signed.

He was thinking about buying that gallon size bag of cocaine or else that boulder size crack rock.
I think they were leery of contracts but not the details.

In descending order of diminishing GN'R-songwriters...

All four: Bad Apples

Stradlin/McKagan/Slash: Dust N' Bones

Slash/McKagan/Rose: Civil War and Get in the Ring

Stradlin/Slash/Rose: Perfect Crime

Stradlin/Rose: Right Next Door to Hell (with Caltia), Don't Cry, 14 Years and You Could Be Mine

Slash/Rose: Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me (with Lank), Coma and Locomotive

Rose: Back off Bitch (with Tobias), November Rain, Dead Horse, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Estranged, My World

Stradlin: You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession (w/ Arkeen), Double Talkin' Jive and Pretty Tied Up

McKagan: So Fine

The Arkeen/James/Rose songs seem to deserve their own category. They are The Garden and Yesterdays

Perfect Crime says Slash, Stradlin who are all over UYI writing credits.

It was introduced at an 80s concert by Axl as an Izzy song. Obviously Slash and Rose have added enough to it to be granted a credit but I believe the bulk of the song is Izzy's.

When presented with these contracts Slash should have....

pulled out his load of smack and shot up.

They probably waited till he was high to present him with it..because no in their right mind would have signed that.. they would have shoved it up Axls ass and spit in his face- as they should have anyways for even thinking up a spiteful thing.

But then again in 89 when Axl made an ass of himself and the band at the Rolling Stones concert... Slash should have smacked him right in the mouth then and there...knocked his ass out cold for his arrogance and hypocrocy in front of the whole world. Axl was no prima donna himself..he had his nose in the bag too...and his behavior and actions were just as detrimental to the cohesion of the band as those shooting up.

In descending order of diminishing GN'R-songwriters...

All four: Bad Apples

Stradlin/McKagan/Slash: Dust N' Bones

Slash/McKagan/Rose: Civil War and Get in the Ring

Stradlin/Slash/Rose: Perfect Crime

Stradlin/Rose: Right Next Door to Hell (with Caltia), Don't Cry, 14 Years and You Could Be Mine

Slash/Rose: Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me (with Lank), Coma and Locomotive

Rose: Back off Bitch (with Tobias), November Rain, Dead Horse, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Estranged, My World

Stradlin: You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession (w/ Arkeen), Double Talkin' Jive and Pretty Tied Up

McKagan: So Fine

The Arkeen/James/Rose songs seem to deserve their own category. They are The Garden and Yesterdays

Perfect Crime says Slash, Stradlin who are all over UYI writing credits.

It was introduced at an 80s concert by Axl as an Izzy song. Obviously Slash and Rose have added enough to it to be granted a credit but I believe the bulk of the song is Izzy's.

I would say PC sounds more like a Slash song. Slash/Stradlin. But that's the thing with Slash he can play on another persons song and make it sound like his. Izzy may not have been in the studio when they recorded it. Back Off Bitch sounds very Slash led song. Would you say whoevers first on the list basically brought the song in? It's basically their song.

Izzy seems to have brought a lot of songs which then were worked on by mainly Slash and Axl.

Which songs did Axl write musically and which ones he get credit for lyrics?

The main thing is I can't see how anyone can say UYI is Axl's solo album. From what you've said

Dead Horse

Shotgun Blues

Back Off Bitch

November Rain

Estranged

Breakdown

is his solo album.

So the band or Niven call him Elton Rose, but really were his contributions so overpowering to them?

Or was he much more involved in the Slash/Rose, Stradlin/Rose songs, like whenever his name was on the board he was controlling it? Then to me it's more worthy of this kind of criticism. That could be true from what Izzy said, like he just wanted his songs left alone, Slash didn't want too many effects or quotes in his songs. Axl was doing his thing, they saw it as him interfering with things?

duff said in his book they never confronted axl about coming late. that there should tell how much of a pussies they were and how much of a fuck they didn't give about gnr.

you have a crazy guys and a bunch of guys who didn't give care and alot of massive egos. i'm sure axl was a major pain in the ass but all of these issues could be easily solved. it's not they didn't have any creative control or axl was forcing paul on the band. firing gilby like that was wrong but paul's just on one song and axl brought zakk wylde to make slash happy but slash liked neither if he had stayed they'd have found someone who both liked but gnr was just a big mess then and that was everyones fault.