Get in the Ring

Coma16

If you strip away all of the crap - the rant, that bit with the electronic voice, the crowd, Slash's speech - what you are left with is probably a decent punk rocker, not a great song but decent. Unfortunately Axl ruined it with overdubs so we will never get to hear that song.

It is so childish though. It is like a playground thing, a kid having a tantrum in a playground. And what is Axl actually saying? At the end of the day, if any of these journalists actually got in the ring in confronting Axl, we all know Axl would be the first to chicken-out. Axl chickened-out of the Vince Neil fight and sulked off after Corbain slaughtered hin verbally at that awards show.

Also, I think it sort of backfired in that it made celebrities out of Secher, Guccione Jr and Wall. These three found out that they were named on a multi-million ball-breaking mega rock release by the biggest band in the world. And Axl was now (1991) a fruitloop so that, just about anyone who made an enemy out of Axl was now considered to be doing something right. What an honour!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Guest Len B'stard

Bob Guccione jnr actually offered Axl out over it and Axl bottled it i heard :lol: Guccione wrote him accepting the challenge and left it up to Axl to name the time and place...but he never did :lol:

Great song when you're a kid tho!

It kind of reminds me of a NY Dolls song, but the critic rant should have been taken off after the first run of copies, turning it into a collectors item. I like the song, can't the rant. I think it's one of those songs he would gladly take his name off of and give back to Duff and Slash.

Namedropping critics in a song is a really bad idea, because it immortalizes them.

There's probably a thread you could make on songs about critics, but I can't think of many.

Axl has sore loser syndrome.

Edited by dalsh327

I like "Get in the Ring" a lot.

Yes, the bluesy intro is great. And the hate in this song probably kept it from becoming more than it could have been.

But as is, it's a nice, angry song. I like the rant. I "sing" it every time.

And that goes for all you punks in the press that want to start shit by printin' lies instead of the things we said.

That means you Andy Secher at Hit Parader.

Circus Magazine.

Mick Wall at Kerrang.

Bob Guccione Jr. at Spin,
What, you pissed off 'cause your dad gets more pussy than you?
FUCK YOU

SUCK MY FUCKIN' DICK!"
Edited by GnR Chris

It is not even hateful though, in a genuine punk rock way. It is far too obvious and too, playground temper tantrum, to be genuinly hateful. When I listen to that rant, I do not feel 'wow, the hate'. I just think, 'Axl, what a dick.'

Guest Len B'stard

Worst GNR song of all time. Worse than Bad Apples, Scraped, Riad...

Bad Apples is great, especially the lyrics, they strike me as a wonderful treatise on contemporary society, it's one of the few times Axls actually written something quite cool lyrically. It's kinda celebrating and condemning and looking down on and happily wading into the whole shit-stream, i think it's great although the first verse is probably the best, the ones after that seem a bit...i dunno, you can sorta see him trying on the rest if that makes sense.

Not worse than Scraped. At least Slash's guitar lines are a redeeming feature.

I don't know man but that's your opinion.

I prefer My World over Get In The Ring.

Mate, if Dj Ashba and Axl farted into a tape recorder and put those farts out as the new GN'R record, you would insist on liking that record better than all of those old GN'R records recorded with the 'cancer'.

I like the song for what it is, a fun little filler song. I like it better than my world, back offbitch, shotgun blues, riad, scraped, and about 1/3 of tsi.

on a side note I have often wonder where that pic of axl in the boxing gear standing with slash and duff came from. Did they intend to make a video for that song but it never got released? also at the end of the lald video it says get in the ring, alluding to it being the next video or something. Anyone have any info on this?

Edited by Mike420