famous musicians from your area in the world

Iron MikeyJ

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

The Jimi Hendrix Experience are also another London band.

calling the jimi hendrix experience a "british band" or "london band " is B.S. in my book. But so is calling them an "american" band. They were a global band imo. The experience may of gotten big in England first, but Hendrix was going to be found eventually anyways imo. He was just meant to be. He was from Seattle, but played on the southern blues circuit, then got famous in England. Hendrix defied logic, plain and simple. He did it all.

They didn't just get big in England though did they, they were formed in England too and two of the three members were from England and based there as was Jimi at the time of their formation. I'm not saying they are an English band but you could make a better case for it than American, they were even signed to a UK record label and had UK Management in Chris Stamp. And really, for America to claim them now when the reason Hendrix had such a hard time making it was a lot do with his race, America has no one to blame but itself and it stinks of sour grapes to wanna claim him now.

INXS

Kylie Minogue

Phil Rudd from AC/DC (lives in the next suburb to me, my brother in law went out with his sister Kate before he married my sister. :lol:)

No one else worth mentioning.

Don't take this as a jab against you or your sister, because it's not, as your sister obviously came later, but how did he allow himself to fuck that one up? :lol:

Coz my sister is WAY hotter! :lol:

calling the jimi hendrix experience a "british band" or "london band " is B.S. in my book. But so is calling them an "american" band. They were a global band imo. The experience may of gotten big in England first, but Hendrix was going to be found eventually anyways imo. He was just meant to be. He was from Seattle, but played on the southern blues circuit, then got famous in England. Hendrix defied logic, plain and simple. He did it all.
They didn't just get big in England though did they, they were formed in England too and two of the three members were from England and based there as was Jimi at the time of their formation. I'm not saying they are an English band but you could make a better case for it than American, they were even signed to a UK record label and had UK Management in Chris Stamp. And really, for America to claim them now when the reason Hendrix had such a hard time making it was a lot do with his race, America has no one to blame but itself and it stinks of sour grapes to wanna claim him now.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but for you guys to claim them as a british band is just as ridiculous as americans claiming the band. despite everything you said, hendrix wasn't british, he was american. mitch mitchell was a great drummer, but it was hendrix that made that band. by your logic, the heaven and hell version of black sabbath should be considered an american band because dio was from the states.

for the sake of argument you brits can have the experience and americans can have the band of gypsys. they were better anyways. ;)

Guest Len B'stard

I agree with a lot of what you said, but for you guys to claim them as a british band is just as ridiculous as americans claiming the band. despite everything you said, hendrix wasn't british, he was american. mitch mitchell was a great drummer, but it was hendrix that made that band. by your logic, the heaven and hell version of black sabbath should be considered an american band because dio was from the states.

for the sake of argument you brits can have the experience and americans can have the band of gypsys. they were better anyways. ;)

Like i said, i don't agree with the notion nor do i think it's particularly meaningful either way but, again, the case of British is much stronger. And also, as previously mentioned, there's the moral implications of trying to claim something that wouldn't come to fruitition round your way because of predudice. Do you understand the ramifications of that, it is a disregard for and a shunning of. And the idea that one person, in ANY band, is more important than the others is something i've always not thought a lot of, Mitch Mitchell was not interchangeable as a drummer, there's a reason why Hendrix dragged him back with The Band of Gypsys, he was a prodigious talent.

But overall my perspective is who cares, why taint something so wonderful with these petty little arguments, who cares what Nationality you assign to the band, nationalism is a cheap ugly thing and music, at least Jimi's, was an amazing transcedent thing that, in my opinion, is greater than all that other stuff.

Also, in respect to your point, despite everything, Jimi was very proud to be an American, his music is littered with references to it, despite what people say he played Star Spangled Banner as a measure of respect to America, not a clever insult, he loved America, breaking big in America was more important to him than anything, thats why so much was put into Monterey, i'm sure Jimi would have more than a little to say about this post mortem baptism that certain people in England try to give him.

Watch somebody now point out that he played God Save the Queen at the Isle of Wight too :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

good points lenny,

I agree that these points are silly on the larger scale. My main point was that hendrix was a perfect storm. He literally hit 3 of the the biggest meccas of 20th century music; London, the southern blues circuit, and seattle would become one at the end of the century. No other musician can claim such diversity, and they all came together to make the perfect storm know as jimi hendrix.

While I admit to liking eddie van halen and jimmy page better than hendrix, I am a huge hendrix defender. I dont think he always gets the appreciation and respect that he deserves. While I agree that a select few have become his equals, nobody has become his superior. Hendrix bows to NO guitar player; past, present, or future.

I agree with your points about mitch, he is one of my alltime fav drummers. I bet he would of been the drummer in the supposed hendrix/miles davis colaberation that was in the works.

I also have all of hendrix's dvd's including the isle of wright. His version of god save the queen is brilliant.

I consider them a UK based band. Jimi would have been an obscure guitarist that would've been part of fusion or funk in a few years, because that was going to happen whether or not Jimi was a part of it. He helped influence it, but there were definitely others doing it in '67.

The Experience was kind of the poor man's Cream, except Jimi was miles ahead of Clapton, and Jimi pretty much humiliated Slowhand on stage with "Where's Eric, can you come up and tune my guitar"? That's the guitarist's version of a mic drop right there.

Unfortunately, as brilliant as Jimi was with the guitar, he was an idiot with contracts, and being forced out to do shows and be the freakshow, screwed things up for him in a big way.

No one calls The Police an American band, even though Stewart formed the band.

The Animals, Dire Straits, Brian Johnson (ACDC), The Wildhearts and, ehh, Jimmy Nail.

I was down that way the other week actually and came through Dunston where Jonno is from.

Knopf is technically a weegie by birth but he still counts and his playing and songwriting is fantastic.

The Wildies are sensationally underrated and Ginger is probably my favourite songwriter.

I've even got a WH Smileybones tattoo!

Oddly enough, speaking of Jimmy Nail I've just been watching old episodes of Auf Pet on youtube :lol:

I don't think there's anyone particularly famous from my town (Perth) but Nazareth and also The Skids/Big Country were from Dunfermline which is only about half an hour South of here. Dougie MacLean who is a relatively well known Scottish folk musician is originally from Dunblane which is also only about a half hour away but actually now stays in a small village just outside of Perth.

Shawn Klush, who is considered the world's greatest Elvis tribute artist (as voted by Graceland) is from my hometown.

I went to high school with most of the guys from Motionless In White. I've known their singer, Chris, since pre-school.

Edited by The Real McCoy

Concerning the Hendrix Experience, I like the term 'Anglo-American'. The Experience were an Anglo-American band. Band of Gypsys were American. I am not so sure he would have been discovered if he had stayed in America, what with the whole civil rights racial thing. He may have succeeded as a pure blues man but 'Swinging London' sort of facilitated the studio experimentation of the Experience.

Chas Chandler from the Animals, from my area, discovered Hendrix.

Guest Len B'stard

Put it this way, he woulda never made it to the pop charts without England. In his pre-ordained sphere he had to fuckin' make it (although would he? He was just sort of passed around as an arch sideman) but no way he was gonna be stuck up front of a group and publicised and put forward in that way.

Even the English charts wouldn't've wept over

The bastard, as much as we like to give it the billy biggun and take credit here, his name, his rep in England didn't come from just gigging and building an audience, it was from wowing and amazing the fuckin rock aristocracy of the day, this is a detail people miss out, THAT is what got Hendrix to that attention, stories of mugging off Clapton and Lennon singing him up and Jagger famously saying why are you interviewing me, you should be interviewing Jimi Hendrix.

It was even McCartney who put him forward for Monterey Pop.

So yeah, it was things like that that got him all this attention as well as his amazing other worldly playing and theatrics so, yknow, a certain aspect of English society sort of allude to Hendrixeses fame being as a result of an abundance of tolerance on our part but i'm not sure how far he would've got playing fucki West Ham social or working mans clubs in Newcastle and all that, grinding it out and building his thing purely on audience response, he was sort of handed a platform in England due to the right people making a point of it, who knows what would have happened if Americans had done the same.

I think he suffered someone from his theatrics as well as benefitted from them, i remember Mickey Dolenz in interviews remembering him as 'the guy that played with his teeth' and remembering him as that when he saw him in Monterey, the point of my saying so is that you get or got the impression from him that he thought of him as some kind of wild and woolly 60s novelty act, like a hippie art scene freak thing, 'the guy that plays with his teeth'.

Americas conservative in the extreme and they respond with harshness sometimes. England are too but the English are great fetishests too and hooked onto the sexualised aspect of his stage show, they tend to go on about it more, shagging the guitar and the tongue wiggling at hammer ons etc

If you think about it, the English response is just as patronising as the American cuz if he was just a fuckin wild blackman to the Americans he was treated like something of an alien in England too like 'ooooh, a real live american black person from where the blues came from, ooooh' its like...theres almost a fetishism to it. The sexual aspect. A lot was made of Hendrixes act being obscene.

Edited by sugaraylen

Put it this way, he woulda never made it to the pop charts without England. In his pre-ordained sphere he had to fuckin' make it (although would he? He was just sort of passed around as an arch sideman) but no way he was gonna be stuck up front of a group and publicised and put forward in that way.

Even the English charts wouldn't've wept over

The bastard, as much as we like to give it the billy biggun and take credit here, his name, his rep in England didn't come from just gigging and building an audience, it was from wowing and amazing the fuckin rock aristocracy of the day, this is a detail people miss out, THAT is what got Hendrix to that attention, stories of mugging off Clapton and Lennon singing him up and Jagger famously saying why are you interviewing me, you should be interviewing Jimi Hendrix.

It was even McCartney who put him forward for Monterey Pop.

So yeah, it was things like that that got him all this attention as well as his amazing other worldly playing and theatrics so, yknow, a certain aspect of English society sort of allude to Hendrixeses fame being as a result of an abundance of tolerance on our part but i'm not sure how far he would've got playing fucki West Ham social or working mans clubs in Newcastle and all that, grinding it out and building his thing purely on audience response, he was sort of handed a platform in England due to the right people making a point of it, who knows what would have happened if Americans had done the same.

I think he suffered someone from his theatrics as well as benefitted from them, i remember Mickey Dolenz in interviews remembering him as 'the guy that played with his teeth' and remembering him as that when he saw him in Monterey, the point of my saying so is that you get or got the impression from him that he thought of him as some kind of wild and woolly 60s novelty act, like a hippie art scene freak thing, 'the guy that plays with his teeth'.

Americas conservative in the extreme and they respond with harshness sometimes. England are too but the English are great fetishests too and hooked onto the sexualised aspect of his stage show, they tend to go on about it more, shagging the guitar and the tongue wiggling at hammer ons etc

If you think about it, the English response is just as patronising as the American cuz if he was just a fuckin wild blackman to the Americans he was treated like something of an alien in England too like 'ooooh, a real live american black person from where the blues came from, ooooh' its like...theres almost a fetishism to it. The sexual aspect. A lot was made of Hendrixes act being obscene.

good read lenny!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I knew that someone from T Rex went to my first school - turns out it was Mickey Finn (their drummer).

Also, I found out that The Jimi Hendrix Experience came from Westminster!

Am like; Hellllllll-yeah! to that news wondering what streets those guys hung out on in and around Soho.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Concerning the Hendrix Experience, I like the term 'Anglo-American'. The Experience were an Anglo-American band. Band of Gypsys were American. I am not so sure he would have been discovered if he had stayed in America, what with the whole civil rights racial thing. He may have succeeded as a pure blues man but 'Swinging London' sort of facilitated the studio experimentation of the Experience.

Chas Chandler from the Animals, from my area, discovered Hendrix.

Still, the experience comes from Westminster, and that hit too close to home for me.