The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

I just read bookies have stopped taking bets on Suarez moving to The Emirates, hmmmmm, i tell you what, i wouldn't mind that cheating bastard onside, we need a few like that, will-to-win types.

He would certainly add a new dimension to Arsenal if true, problem is he will miss the first few games due to biting Ivanovic.

Wondering what the United fans think of all the coaching changes? Phil Neville and Ryan Giggs were announced as coaches today.

Guest Len B'stard

At the risk of sounding petty and spiteful, i hope that team sinks like a fucking stone under Moyes :lol:

Lopez is indeed better. the thing is, the press loves Iker and they started this war against Mourinho when he benched him. And as for Ramos and the other players who didn´t get along with Mourinho, well, it seems he was way too strict for them. They´re said to be lazy and not so interested in discipline.

Hang on, on what planet is Lopez better than Iker? No way.

Yeah, that's crazy talk.

Don't get me wrong - Lopez stepped up to the plate admirably this season, but compare 148 to 1 cap... only a year apart, as an example.

Guest Len B'stard

To Spudsy and Sandy, pisstaking aside, do you forsee a Fergie-like continuation for Man Utd or do you see hardships, adjustment periods or what? :)

Moyes needs time for a start, I don't expect great things from United for the next couple of years but with the quality they have both in players and coaches they should be top 3 easy. Once Moyes gets to build his own team then we will really see what happens but it is difficult to predict really, if Rooney stays and they sign Thiago and Baines United will be pushing for the title again.

I think a few good signings would allow us to win the title at a canter. Truthfully, I think we'll win it again next season, and I think domestic dominance will continue - however, I do think that we may well struggle on the European stage, just through lack of experience.

I mean, hard to tell really - I'm optimistic that Moyes, with guidance, can become a legend.

Not convinced. Either for arsenal or spurs. It's more those two teams. If Jose had him it might work. But these teams need winners not elegant gliders. He won't get the service he needs.

I disagree, if you consider the amount of chances that Gervinho, Giroud, Defoe and Adebayor missed this season that were quite easy I believe that Higuain would have put away over half of those chances. We cannot deny that both Spurs and Arsenal create and waste a plethora of chances and Higuain is the kind of player that would put them away, the simple fact that since Ronaldo has gone to Real Higuain is the third highest scorer in La Liga behind Messi and Ronaldo. Higuain is physical and a winner and I think he could turn Arsenal into a title winning side when playing with Cazorla, Wilshire, Arteta and Walcott.

Youre having a laff. Higuain just scores taps in after ronaldo skinned everyone. Spurs just attack, sometimes they score. Arsenal try to walk it in. Higuain just seems like another in a long line of strikers who wont really change the problems that arsenal have. Thats not saying hes shit, or even wont score. But he wont change anything. I just think they put playing a certain way above winning and are a bit soft in the middle.

Well he would certainly change one thing, if Spurs had him last year we would be in the Champions League this year. I've followed Higuain's career since 07ish and there is much more to his game then scoring tap ins; he is physical, skillful and powerful. He could really make the difference for Arsenal in my opinion and it pains me to say that as I am of course a Spurs fan. I guess we will see this year though and believe me I would love nothing more than him going up in flames and failing if it gets Spurs into the CL, I just do not see it happening.

Guest Len B'stard

Youre having a laff. Higuain just scores taps in after ronaldo skinned everyone. Spurs just attack, sometimes they score. Arsenal try to walk it in. Higuain just seems like another in a long line of strikers who wont really change the problems that arsenal have. Thats not saying hes shit, or even wont score. But he wont change anything. I just think they put playing a certain way above winning and are a bit soft in the middle.

What do you think the remedy is, maybe a defensively minded grinder of a midfielder?

I think its important to guard against a tendency to become to midfield orientated, Spain suffer from this and i think they are getting found out as a result.

As far as getting the service, fuck me, thats Arsenals whole problem, they're all service and no boy up the front of tap em in.

Edited by sugaraylen

Thats not really service to me. That sort of build up favors mids. A striker needs it early in space. Eventually when it comes its stale and theyve been hovering around. Those chances they create arent a strikers dreams. Defenses can just drop into peno box. Arse best on break counter attack. Like henry used to or walcott troes tho hes a bit unreliable.

They miss a leader, someone to put his foot in. More box to box. Teams like Stoke dont fear arsenal. Diaby works when hes not injured.

Boring boring arsenal were a tasty team. Defended as a team, attacked as a team. Maybe Bould will instil some metal in there. By the loiks of it arsenal would do well in la liga. Bcos players would get protected.