The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

I think the way Torres's career has gone since he left Liverpool the fans are probably happy he has gone now.

Back to back European trophies? Yeah, poor guy.

For which he basically did fuck all. Do you honestly think that the status of a player has any relevance to what they have won?

No, but at the same time, if he moved to get more $$ and more trophies, he's probably not hating it.

Is West Ham United a mediocre team? I know Steve Harris was going to be a professional player for them at some point, before he decided to give up on his dream of becoming a footballer and discovered music and dedicated his life to Iron Maiden. And he still loves them, I think.

I think the way Torres's career has gone since he left Liverpool the fans are probably happy he has gone now.

For which he basically did fuck all. Do you honestly think that the status of a player has any relevance to what they have won?

Convenient that you're forgetting Torres scoring against Barca to secure the game in the CL, then chasing down a hopeless ball to win the last minute corner that Drogba scored on in the final? 3 goals and 4 assists in the Champions League winning year - more assists than Mata and only Drogba scored more.

As for the Europa League, scored in both legs of the Quarter Final, scored in the Semi final and scored in the Final. 6 goals in 9 games as Chelsea win the Cup - yeah, guess he did fuck all like you said.

Convenient that you're forgetting Torres scoring against Barca to secure the game in the CL, then chasing down a hopeless ball to win the last minute corner that Drogba scored on in the final? 3 goals and 4 assists in the Champions League winning year - more assists than Mata and only Drogba scored more.

As for the Europa League, scored in both legs of the Quarter Final, scored in the Semi final and scored in the Final. 6 goals in 9 games as Chelsea win the Cup - yeah, guess he did fuck all like you said.

But, thinking about it - he had a poor season by most people's high standards. Torres of old could be near the best in the world - he looks a shadow of that former self... and still did very well last season.

Just imagine him on song.

I do find it ironic that he is a shadow of the player he was before he got injured at Liverpool (81 goals in 142 games at Liverpool compared with 34 in 131 at Chelsea) yet since that major injury he has won the following:

World Cup

FA Cup

Champions League

European Championship and the Golden Boot

Europa League

Confederations Cup Golden Boot

Is West Ham United a mediocre team? I know Steve Harris was going to be a professional player for them at some point, before he decided to give up on his dream of becoming a footballer and discovered music and dedicated his life to Iron Maiden. And he still loves them, I think.

He does, he has their symbol on his #1 bass that he plays all the time. Must've been gutted when they got relegated a while ago.

No, but at the same time, if he moved to get more $$ and more trophies, he's probably not hating it.

Oh, I don't think that he's hating it either, but I also think that he knows that he is basically nowhere near the player that he was and the extra $ and trophies won't mean a lot as he didn't earn them. I dislike him due to how he left, but I think that he'd trade in a lot of $ in order to be back to his best and earning what he is winning rather than being a passenger.

But when you have people like Messi saying stuff like how he(Messi) cares more about winning things than personal numbers, I don't know if Torres is all that broken up about his current situation. We know he's not scoring as often as he should. But is all his play crap? I figure if he were true dead weight, he'd be on the bench a lot more often than he is.

Torres is actually very important in allowing Mata and Hazard to have more space, plus he drags defenders away from Lampards advancing runs.

Don't think I am blind to Torres' failings, he is hot and cold in games and his hold up play in the first season was terrible. He has improved a lot, and generally when Torres and Villa were up front together for Spain during his Liverpool times it was slightly more about Torres occupying defenders and Villa getting the goals.

We see so many glimpses of Torres looking back to his best, when he gets wound up or angry he suddenly skins a defender, makes the classic runs... it is still there, just inconsistent.

He admits the problems and realises that he isn't doing what he used to. I think the only time in 2 1/2 years that the fans haven't supported him is when Rafa came in, dropped Mata and Oscar and we were losing, then the fans got on Torres' back as a petty side swipe at Rafa. Otherwise we have been cheering Torres all the way through and is something I wouldn't expect from many clubs.

I didn't say that he did fuck all, you mouth-breather. I said that he did basically fuck all. Torres has been absolutely woeful for a number of years now and whenever he has shown glimpses of form it hasn't lasted for more than a few games. If you think that Torres goes to bed at night thinking that he is the man that he once was or that he is pulling his weight then you are foolish.

I didn't say that he did fuck all, you mouth-breather. I said that he did basically fuck all. Torres has been absolutely woeful for a number of years now and whenever he has shown glimpses of form it hasn't lasted for more than a few games. If you think that Torres goes to bed at night thinking that he is the man that he once was or that he is pulling his weight then you are foolish.

Nice work on ignoring my later post where I said:

"He admits the problems and realises that he isn't doing what he used to."

Nice work on ignoring my later post where I said:

"He admits the problems and realises that he isn't doing what he used to."

I wasn't ignoring it; I was just answering this specific point from this specific post.

welcome to brazil (part 2):

Brazilian referee quartered and beheaded by fans after killing a player

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2357279/Brazilian-referee-quartered-beheaded-fans-killing-player.html

The referee was supposedly quartered and then had his head cut off before it was stuck on a stake.

This shocking act of violence was in retaliation after he 'stabbed' one of the players on the pitch in the Pius XII stadium, Maranhao.

According to Correio24horas, Octavio da Silva Catanhede Jordan, 20, sent off Josenir dos Santos Abreu, who refused to leave the field and began insulting him.

The referee is said to have been carrying a knife and he stabbed the player several times.

Fans - believed to be friends or relatives of the player - ran onto the field and stoned the referee to death.

They are then said to have cut him into quarters and put his head on a spike.

Edited by pepsicoca