The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

lol' day the Mirallas challenge - Suarez spent the 5 minutes previous hobbling around and looking at the bench wanting to come off. He gets flattened and suddenly the hip problem he had before the challenge was now gone!

Funny what a bit of shock and adrenaline can do really, mind over matter and all that.

Also, after Liverpool players kicked Mirallas out of a game about 18 months ago I was pleased the guy caught a break in the derby game.

All in all, fantastic match wasn't it - Liverpool didn't have a kick in the first 20 minutes, yet were 2-1 up - the first goal came from a long ball that an Everton player headed out for a corner whilst in no danger, then the free kick was daft - Liverpool were deadly with their finishing.

Guest Len B'stard

I ain't a Liverpool supporter and i never have been but something about those bastards and You'll Never Walk Alone…and not even the song but the way the crowds sing it…God it gets me right inside…just incomparable…i dunno why, goess cuz i grew up in their dominant era but….fuckin' hell, to me it's just somethin' else

And they say football ain't beautiful :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

I'm going to continue drowning my sorrows, might not make it into work tomorrow as I sit next to the most obnoxious Arsenal fan :lol

Hello! :D

Guest Len B'stard

I think i take football way too seriously? Its the one way you can actually really annoy me and wind me up to the point of getting narky, in a guaranteed way is take the piss out of my team when they lose. Dunno why though cuz i do it to everyone else.

Guest Len B'stard

Why Arsenal won’t win the Premier League

As the Premier League heads readily for the half-way point, Arsenal look close to unassailable at the top after picking up another three points this weekend against Southampton. Rest assured, however, that Arsene Wenger’s men are odds on to falter come May.

If that seems like a wild, unreasonable, or even bitter statement of affairs, it is backed up by history. It would certainly not be the first time they have blown a lead after an impressive start to the season.

Another factor is the Gunners' blatant – though excusable – over-reliance on Mesut Ozil. The German playmaker has lit up the Emirates since his summer arrival, but he is the only really notable change to their outfit since last season – when they finished fourth by a hair.

In comparison, last year’s title winners Manchester United were able to boast Van Persie, Rooney and Scholes, to name but a few. Aaron Ramsey has come on leaps and strides, but asides from the Welshman and Ozil, there are few Arsenal players who would even be in contention for many of the other top, top sides in Europe.

This season may have been plain sailing for the Gunners. Their only blips have come against Aston Villa on the opening day of the season and in a more recent 1-0 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford (again, somewhat excusable).

However, as the season gathers pace, as do their rivals. After struggling initially with their away form, Chelsea looked solid at Upton Park in Saturday’s 3-0 win against West Ham, and Mourinho seems to have once again decided on his best XI. Manchester United are slowly but surely climbing up the table as David Moyes finds his feet, and Liverpool continue their assault on the top four under Brendan Rodgers.

It remains to be seen whether Spurs’ new-look side will come together in time for a title push, but it is safe to say the rest of the season will not be as easy as the beginning seems to have been for Arsenal.

Since the 2003-2004 ‘Invincibles’ squad, Wenger’s sides seem to have possessed a mental frailty not found in champions. Mourinho has it, Ferguson had it, and Wenger certainly used to have it. Wenger’s young guns may well be in need of another year before they glisten with the maturity of a side capable of winning the Premier League.

http://www.givemesport.com/404411-why-arsenal-wont-win-the-premier-league?tg=%2ffootball

Guest Len B'stard

I like Chris a lot, i think he's pretty cool, i haven't room for criticism with Chris, he loves his team, you're supposed to do that. Groghans alright too, although i dont find him always as agreeable as Chris but thats a good thing too. Point taken on the Miser front though. Chris i consider to be one of the better posters knocking about around here.

Guest Len B'stard

City are gonna do something this year I reckon, been faltering inexplicably but they're gonna gear up from here on in I feel. Negredo, Navas, Aguero, such fuckin' quality. I rate Yaya Toure SOOOOOO much.

I believe we are going to win something this year, with aguero and negredo forming a lethal partnership and navas, silva and toure in midfield, we are going places. Finally got through the group stages of the champions league with albeit a far easier group than previous years, still it is an achievement. May only win a cup competition as unless our away form improves in the league dramatically and quickly we are going to fall out of contention. A few away wins on the bounce though and things could all change, I have faith "the engineer" can turn around our away blues. Lest we forget it's much harder to win away than at home and it's only his seventh away match next week. My worry is our over reliance on kompany and lack of cover, plus he is picking up an ever increasing number of injuries.

We shall see.

Edited by Ryan95