Chinese Democracy was NOT a failure

ManetsBR

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Best Buy snapped up 1.6 million copies and only off-loaded 1 million of them proves the point (I suppose it undersold by, 600,000 then.): if a major retailer with a financial stake in the whole project expects Chinese Democracy to do better than it did, then I am certain a lot of music critics and fans did also.

Guest charlie555

I heard that the number actually shipped was 4.6 million.

But you have to bear in mind that a lot of distribution deals are done on consignment, so you would have to subtract the number of units returned to UMG from the 4.6 million.

If my local music store is anything to go by, I would say there were more than a few units shipped back!

Never heard that number before but Best Buy ate close to 800k units based on actual sales numbers here in the U.S......if your number is correct it would not be surprising if 1 million plus went unsold world wide meaning it sold just over 3 million units.....

It was correct at the start of 2010. AEG (I think, might have been LiveNation) quoted that number from UMG in one of their bulletins.

It was definitely only what had been shipped though, so you could reasonably expect up to 50% to have been returned, as I remember thinking at the time it was quite high.

I'll have a look and see if I have it saved somewhere and post it.

It undersold in the US maybe, but recouped 14 mil for the label.

It's hard to say if it did or didn't find an audience. Of the 3-4 mil it sold worldwide how many liked the record is hard to say. It's hard to know how many people who bought AFD still listen to it or care.

CD's success really depends on the intentions. Was is it to sell 20 million records? Was it meant to cater to the heartland of AFD masses? Probably not.

It seems like it was meant to be transitional record, to not be a complete bomb, to draw in or appeal to different people than the early Guns did. To re-position GNR alongside NIN, PJ, Korn as a viable touring band that sells a decent amount of records.

Guest charlie555

It's hard to say if it did or didn't find an audience. Of the 3-4 mil it sold worldwide how many liked the record is hard to say. It's hard to know how many people who bought AFD still listen to it or care.

CD's success really depends on the intentions. Was is it to sell 20 million records? Was it meant to cater to the heartland of AFD masses? Probably not.

It seems like it was meant to be transitional record, to not be a complete bomb, to draw in or appeal to different people than the early Guns did. To re-position GNR alongside NIN, PJ, Korn as a viable touring band that sells a decent amount of records.

BestBuy deal was for $11 million.

Are you presuming the remaining $3m was from international sales?

BestBuy deal was for $11 million.

Are you presuming the remaining $3m was from international sales?

no I thought it was for 14 or 13. you see different numbers. either way it kind of made the label less nervous. Seems like they werent expecting much more than 1 mil.